Monday, April 30, 2007

I promise that this site will not strictly become one long pregnancy update! At some point when I'm up and about and my children's hair is getting brushed again, I'll start taking and posting pictures of my little darlings. Even before that, I hope to get back to discussing my hatred and fear of spiders, the tulips that are thriving along the front of my house (I can't wait for those splashes of color to erupt; I think it's taking longer for them to bloom because they're in a partly-shady location), my addiction to charts and plans and lists, and so forth. For now, though, hang in there.

* * * * *

Last night found Daniel and I at the ER, which made for my first (and hopefully only) admission to that particular wing of a hospital. I've never technically been to the ER before (I write "technically" because when I entered the hospital to deliver Gabriel I had to go through the ER but I was then quickly moved to L&D), but I think I'm still lacking in a true ER experience even after last night. Apparently nobody gets hurt or sick in the North Country on Sunday evening, because I was the only patient in the entire wing at the time of my arrival.

The reason for going was that I'd begun having mild cramping/contractions at around 1:30 in the afternoon. The tightening was happening a bit too consistently (approximately every 12-15 minutes) and for too long for me to not call my doctor, who's given me strict instructions to call her "if anything weird happens." In most pregnancies, I would have brushed it off, but not this time. When I spoke with the doctor around 4:30pm, she asked me to meet her at the ER. Her thought was that even if everything cleared it wouldn't be a wasted trip for two reasons: 1. she had been disappointed that there weren't any measurements taken of the baby during Friday's ultrasound, and 2. she was planning on sending me to the lab sometime this week to make sure I haven't been sensitized due to 2nd trimester bleeding.

Two hours later, my bloodwork was done and the ultrasound completed. We got four great reports.

1. I haven't been sensitized! The shot can still work and potential future pregnancies are not at risk.

2. The second hemorrhage discovered on Friday seems to have merged with the original hemorrhage. This isn't particularly noteworthy, except that the total mass of the current hemorrhage is smaller than Friday's combined measurements of the two separate hemorrhages. Yay! I am so encouraged by this!

3. The baby is continuing to measure right on target. 8oz sure sounds small to me, but I guess that's in the "normal" range for an 18-week gestation baby! During the ultrasound we also got to see all chambers of the baby's heart, a good-looking brain structure, 4 fingers and 1 thumb on each hand, and feet that almost looked to be using the hemorrhage as a trampoline!

4. The contractions, though real, don't seem to be doing anything. I was sent home with instructions to call again if they got worse (which they haven't), but since they weren't related to any placenta-activity and weren't accomplishing anything, they can be dismissed for now as simply "annoying."

I came home on a major high from getting our first positive ultrasound report. (Finally!-- we got a medical report that agrees with His report!)

For the record, both Friday morning and last night we asked about the gender of the baby. I'm normally into the surprise factor of waiting to see whether we have a boy or girl and Daniel is even more into waiting until delivery than me, but with all the complications of this pregnancy Daniel and I made the decision to find out ahead of time. I guess I kind of feel that fostering a greater attachment to this little life will be yet another faith-builder and way to ward off premature grieving.

Of course, the ultrasound technicians haven't been able to tell with enough certainty to make a guess, even though the baby was definitely giving ample opportunities last night.

Which, I must confess, makes me a little less secure in my prediction of boy. I'm not ready to relinquish my "feeling" yet, but at 18 weeks and with about 15 clear chances to see last night, I'm beginning to think that the lack of clarity might be attributed to this little person being female.

My doctor tells me she's rooting for a girl. This is partly because she always guesses girl (she figures she's right about 50% of the time that way) but also because she feels she ought to get a girl to help even out the male-female ratio of babies from CFC that she's delivered. I've laughed at her during my appointments because I've been so sure that this little tyke is all boy, but I think I won't be laughing quite so confidently from here on in-- unless, of course, we find out that I'm right!

The one minorly-negative report (though not surprising) was that my hemoglobin levels are down from my 11-week draw. In March, they were 10.5, which is low but not horrid ("normal" is somewhere between 12 and 15, I think). Last night they were 9.6, which is much higher than I typically am at the end of a pregnancy but low enough to meet with disapproval from doctors and nurses. I've been eating spinach and green-leaf salads pretty much once a day (sometimes twice), but my pregnancy-induced anemia has proven to be more than nutrition can battle. So I'm on those nasty prescription iron tablets (again) that make me sick to my stomach. Oh well.

19 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the good, no great, no excellently wonderful news!  You all have been heavy on my heart this weekend and I have offered up many prayers here and there. 
    Keep the great news coming!
    (I can't believe I'm the first comment, you muct have just posted!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear a great report! Every time I look at Lauren snuggled up in a newborn cuddle-y bundle, I think about you and your complications. How wonderful it will be when you are holding this little one. You are in my thoughts and prayers often, as I'm sure you are in so many others' as well. Sounds like its working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much. i'll have to ask my mom to grab a copy of that sermon. i'm so glad you got a good report! i'm still praying for you! i'm so encouraged by you. just thought i'd let you know. i'll be home in two weeks, so hopefully i'll see you then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear some good news! We'll continue to pray & don't worry about our plans to visit:)...those will obviously be set aside until you guys are at a place where things aren't so crazy:) Thanks for inviting us just the same!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear that the hemorrhage is smaller than they thought. That encourages me in my prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear the news. You have been on my heart all weekend. We're continuing to pray.
    I'm also going to say that maybe my girl prediction is accurate!?!?!? We'll see:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What awesome news... and I'm still completely shocked that 1. you decided to find out the gender 2. its a girl! (or well maybe). Not that I have any reason to be biased on you having a girl... but having girls the same age would be fun for me and hopefully them! I'm so thankful you've gotten a good report... keep 'em coming! We'll still be praying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cook your spiniach. When it is raw it actually can zap your iron.
    Glad to hear that you got a great report

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the wonderful update - always a blessing to hear such good news.  Well a girl would be nice for Bronwyn but then a boy would be wonderful, too.  God is Good - all the time.  Love to All

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still going to guess boy... but, only because we seem to always have the same gender at the same time and having a boy would be convenient for me with Aidan being born in October!  (Not at all scientific OR spiritual of me, I know!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How great is that?! I realize there is still plenty here to challenge your faith, but I am no stranger to an ER visit that has you holding your breath and preparing for bad news. How wonderful to get GOOD news!

    I was going to say something similar about spinach... I was anemic with Riah and eating it like crazy until my mother-in-law suggested that the spinach salads weren't helping.

    I have no personal predictions as to gender, but I'm usually surprised when the mama is wrong. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I never really know what I am having-really, I don't even have an idea. I figure it's 50/50, so that's funny about your nurse. However, i always seem to know what friends and family are having, but I'll save my 2 cents till the end. :)  Anyway, iron pills-sorry. I had to upmy iron, but the perscription stuff, esp incombo w/ regular prenatal vitamins was giving me a hard time, so I found that slow fe helped. it was better. i do not know how you could eat so many salads. but red meat is supposed to be good for iron content, so i've heard. i am SO SO happy to hear this wonderful news. I was thinking of you much last night. i don't mind all the pregnancy updates. Yay for doctor's reports agreeing with the best report of all-HIS. we sang that song a couple of weeks ago in church. cool. good stuff. hugs!!! 

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't mind the pregnancy updates a bit.  I am praying and believing in the power of consistent prayer. 

    ReplyDelete
  14. Red meat is the best for iron, it also has folic acid.....That's what I craved when I was pregnant...what kind of meat do you like best?  I know you have lots of meatless meals, but I was wondering?  Had you not had the shot before after you had been pregnant?  I guess your blood is negative?  I'm glad that test came out well.  I keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't mind the pregnancy updates!  I like the charts plans and lists though too, because I need to start doing more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whose report shall we believe ... WE SHALL BELIEVE THE REPORT OF THE LORD!!!

    His report says that you are healed! ... His report says that you are filled! ... His report says that you are free! ... His report says VICTORY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brietta,
    God is great! We are praying for you. I love hearing about this pregnancy, it seems God is blessing it! Keep the updates coming. Take it easy and have a great day.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete