Saturday, April 21, 2007

Last month, even while on bedrest, I stuck to my typical amount of 'blog reading. Oh yes, I added in stopping regularly at different news sites and I discovered forums. And I sure did spend my fair share of time reading about and trying to understand subchorionic bleeds and everything else placenta-related. But I've liked my online boundaries regarding how many minutes of my day are spent staring into a screen.

This month, however, when I found myself re-settling onto the couch, I started 'blog-browsing. I figured that if I can't stand watching movies, I might as well start browsing. And let me tell you, it is a big, big world out there on the web!

There's the homeschool blogger corner, the Frugal Friday corner, the conservative mother corner, the stay at home mom corner, the Works for me Wednesday corner, the reformed wives corner, etc., etc. Since I refuse to become a facebook or myspace member, I assume there is also a whole world there I've yet to-- and probably never will-- discover, in addition to all the non-Christian corners I'm glad my link-hopping doesn't lead me to. (I don't mean to sound like a snob about facebook or anything, and trust me when I say that I'm not-- I use xanga for heaven's sake!-- it's just that I think 'blogs that require membership to read have kind of forgotten the point.)

My RSS feeds are out of control by now since I often get to a site that seems to have something to say, only to have no clue how I got there. So I just add the site to my feed list.

(Side note: if I can "click, click, click" and get lost, I probably shouldn't ever consider making a cross-country trip on my own or anything.)

All said, though, I am realizing I ought to purge my RSS feeds. You know: pick a number, then pick the favorites that fit in that number, and then only check those. I might not have a whole lot that seems better to do right now than blog-browsing, but I'm sure if I tear myself away from firefox for 30 minutes I'll think of something much more worthwhile.

5 comments:

  1. I  know very little about the big, big Internet world.  What is an RSS feed? 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brietta,
    Yeah there are so many different blogs you can be apart of now. It is funny. I don't like face book either and at one point I believe you had to have a college e-mail address so I used Keith's at the time, but it is dumb and I don't like it, I don't know what has changed on that. I don't think I care to look. I don't like how you have to join to be a member too. I have myspace but I only really go on that if I get an e-mail that someone has commented or wanted to be my friend. I like how you get e-mails though, that is helpful. How is the little one doing? Do you feel a lot of movement? How about the heart beats?

    God Bless,
    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry- I, too, am wondering what an RSS feed is. And firefox...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have a myspace and a facebook but i NEVER (literally) check either. i only ever update xanga, so i figure, what's the point? and half those blogs you mentioned sound interesting, even though i have no clue what frugal fridays or whatever wednesdays is... geesh... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definately agree with you on the Facebook thing...  I only use Myspace and Facebook to talk to people/stay in touch with long-distance friends (but its worth it for me).  Recently, a quick check of my email inbox turns into visiting four or five different sites... ahhh so time-consuming: P

    ReplyDelete