Tuesday, April 3, 2007

I've read quite a few books over the last 2 weeks. Many have been good and more have been mediocre. My favorite "bedrest material" so far has been this book, borrowed from my mom's bookshelf. I'm only about halfway through and, while it may not be revolutionary if you've been around solid teaching on home and family, it is just the fresh encouragement I've been needing to keep on keeping on.

There are many great nuggets in this easy and quick read (I read half the book yesterday and will definitely finish the other half today). A favorite so far?

You need, husband and wife, drastic new exposures to each other. With a true pioneering spirit that's excited, cautious, relentless, you need to push into each other's hearts where no one else has ever been before, and discover, all on your own, what has never before been fathomed in your partner by anyone but God: the dark places, the bright places, the agonies and the ecstasies. And the more you come upon, the more you gather it all up in your arms and say, "This is all mine, God's gift to me," and hold tightly this amazing, labyrinthine, dearest treasure who is your Other Self.

The more children we have, the more years Daniel is in full-time ministry, and just the more life he and I live together, the easier it is to become strangers fulfilling shared (and many not-so-shared, to be brutally honest) obligations. There are too many days when all our daylight hours have been lived with him doing his thing and me doing mine, followed by night hours spent side by side in body but not in soul and spirit. It is too easy in the busy pace of life to speak very few words to each other besides, "Can you wash up the baby?" or "Don't wait up for me; I'll be out late."

One thing Daniel and I have begun being more disciplined about in 2007 is carving out intentional time for talking about the real things in our hearts. What a world of difference it has made! I have found myself feeling content in companionship, connected to what Daniel is doing because I get to hear firsthand about much of his activities, and stirred in my faith because there is a daily conversation about what God is speaking and doing.

Each morning, we settle the children and then sit to share a cup of coffee (well, for many weeks I wasn't drinking coffee because it would make me sick, but you know what I mean...) and conversation. It works for us, since evenings are at a much higher premium when working with college students than 7:00am is. I'm not a morning person, so trying to think and speak intelligently at that time is a challenge for me, but it is one I am find is well worth the effort. Not only is it a profitable and pleasant time, but the rest of my day is dramatically altered: I don't succumb to feelings of being alone, disconnected, or overwhelmed nearly as easily when the first items of my day's agenda are time with the Lord followed by time with Daniel.

Of course, three months later we are starting to be less consistent in this routine. The constant interruptions by little people (I must at least gratefully acknowledge that they are more easily entertained first thing in the day than they are later) and the pressing needs represented in long "to do" lists, combined with human nature's tendency to get bored with and give up on disciplines, has resulted in slack of late.

Yesterday and today, though, I am stirred afresh to know and treasure the amazing gift I have been given in my husband. God didn't tell me to marry so I wouldn't have to lock the front door at night or mow the lawn any more. He wants me to partner with this man in together representing Himself and His Church to the world. I can't do this if I have abandoned knowing and valuing the very person who makes me a "couple."

At any rate, I am recommending the book. There is much more addressed than just the husband/wife relationship. I am appreciating this reading very, very much and think it may bless others, too!

Edit: Here is another excerpt I read just now that I thought I would include, too. My dad has quoted it before, but it's worth hearing again!

I was visiting friends who'd just celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary. The husband tramped in from work leaving clods of dirt on the carpet. I said, "His boots certainly bring the dirt in." "Yes," she smiled, and went for the vacuum, "but they bring him in, too."

8 comments:

  1. Now I remember why I looked forward to your posts!  This is such a great reminder.  Actually, for me not really a reminder but an eye-opener.  D and I have been in that season of passing in the night and mornings (if even then) and I found myself feeling lonely and just down.  This has been especially magnified for me lately.  It makes so much sense that when we are not making time for each other, we are really missing something.  And the company of someone else just doesnt cut it when you just want your husband... 
    Gonna have to see if I can find that book for myself. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reminder! Thank you for the book suggestion. It is not one i've heard of. I think I may order it. You're right - its so easy to go on with the day to day and loose sight of the soul and spirit.

    Very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, to have the mindset every time! I think I should make a little note to myself as a reminder of that very thing. I am sure my house will be much cleaner someday but it will be the days when nobody comes home like they do now. I'll take the dirt anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book sounds wonderful. I will have to scrounge up some cash and buy it, when I have a chance. I especially love that last quote. It is so true.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that book! Anne Ortlund has such a straight-forward way of writing. It's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I needed this post today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, I needed it too....see you can do stuff for God even in bed! You don't realize what a blessing you are to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last quote made me smile. After farming/sugaring/cutting wood for 30 years, you can imagine my tireless reminders. It finally hit me. Just clean it up.
    And I think that is the real deal when it comes to marriage. If I'm reacting to the shoes (or anything else) it's because it irritates me. What an opportunity to die to self! These are Christianity 101 opportunities that we miss...where the rubber meets the road...or should I say, where the mud meets the floor.
    : ) 

    ReplyDelete