Saturday, April 28, 2007

Pregnancy Update & Prayer Requests

I changed my pregnancy ticker to reflect what is now my official due date. This date has been derived by my doctor as a compromise between my best guess and two separate ultrasounds done in March and April (the ultrasounds agreed with one another). This is also the date that technicians and doctors will be keeping in mind when they check future ultrasounds for growth and development of the baby.

While an early delivery looms simply as a very real possibility and certainly not as a definite, my doctor has spent some time discussing what this might look like with me and why it grows increasingly probable. Though I feel ill-equipped to try to explain something I don't wholly understand (especially when it is all in the "best guess" realm by my doctor's own admission), I will attempt at giving some of the basics:

1. Because of the increasing amount of placental hemorrhaging, the biggest concern is that I may have a total placental abruption at any point. This, of course, is deadly for the baby. Particularly if the hemorrhages worsens so that only half the placenta is attached and functioning, doctors would recommend an early delivery of the baby in order to avoid an almost-imminent total abruption.

2. The next 6 weeks (minimum) are extremely critical in the life of our baby. Even if the hemorrhages worsen, they cannot delivery the baby during this time because s/he is not "viable" until 24 weeks (occasionally 23). I am by no means believing God only for 6 weeks more in this pregnancy, but I will nonetheless breathe a deep sigh of relief when we cross that 24-week mark.

4. Between weeks 24 and 28 gestation, there is significant development that takes place in babies. The hope of my doctor is that I will at least make it another 10 weeks to give the baby a much better chance.

5. If it is determined by the doctors and Daniel and I that an early delivery is necessary, we would be sent to this hospital, since their NICU is widely considered one of the best.

I have several specific prayer requests, for those of you who have been praying with and for all of us:

1. That the hemorrhages would not only stop increasing/multiplying, but that they would be healed.

2. That the baby's stability, growth, and development would remain unhindered by his less-than-ideal surroundings.

3. That a very early delivery (which would inevitably lead to a long hospital-stay) would not be necessary.

4. That in the event of an early delivery, Daniel would be around for it. (He continues-- with my whole-hearted agreement!-- to make plans to lead a 3-week missions trip to Spain in June during weeks 25-28 of the pregnancy.)

5. That the doctors and Daniel and I would have real wisdom along every step in this process, even about little details like exactly what my rest needs to be during these next months.

6. That this season would not put an unmanageable burden on Daniel; that he would have the necessary grace and strength to lead and care for our family even as he continues to work and minister outside the home.

6. And last, but not least, that I would not give in to the ever-present temptations of fear, premature grief, and doubt.

I can't begin to say how much I appreciate everybody's prayers during this time. I am especially comforted by knowing how many others are standing with me when emotions cloud my thoughts and I feel ill-equipped and unsure of how/what to pray.

13 comments:

  1. thank you again for sharing your needs with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for being so specific. now i can print it out so i remember exactly what to pray for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are committed to pray here in Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all continually in my prayers. Thank you for the specifics. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart goes out to you. We will continue praying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your list is added to mine. It was so great to see you last night - You look amazing and you're doing such a great job with this season God has you in! R.Jay and I ended up at Canton-Potsdam this morning because of severe pain I was having - all because of a little kidney stone... all the while my thoughts turned toward you and prayers went up out of a little hospital room that this - hospital room and nurses wouldn't be your reality through this pregnancy. We'll be praying and I'll be visiting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason and I are praying for you, the baby and the rest of the family.  Though we are ALL the way in Pgh, if there is ANYTHING that you need, ANYTHING...please just ask.  I know that I don't know you very well but I do know the heart of a worried mom and I can be a great listener and shoulder!  You take care of yourself and He will take care of the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the specifics. Still praying...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are ever in my thoughts & prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. copied, pasted, printed.
    i haven't read in a few days and didn't know this was going on...

    ReplyDelete
  11. same as above- i hadn't read your previous blogs and i didn't know there was anything new. i told micah about it and we are praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete