Monday, April 23, 2007

Weather

We just came in from some outdoor playtime. Not having a fence built makes it tough for a mom who can't be running around to keep two busy toddlers and one even busier pre-schooler away from the road and the marsh, but today my sisters are here for the afternoon while Daniel's on various campuses. I sat and watched while they kept up with little legs and curious minds.

It's currently 78* and should get warmer before the day is out. Last week we didn't have cable (and therefore phone) because the snow/wind storm early that morning had been so bad. Spring is such a weird time.

My tulips are looking amazing (no blooms yet, but they're getting bigger and stronger by the day!) in spite of the snowfall of last week. I think they're too close to the road to be in danger of rabbits, so my guess is that we'll soon be enjoying the multitude of color.

The wild day lilies I transplanted from the marsh to underneath our bedroom windows last summer seem to have survived their first winter. I can't say that I'm surprised. Those things can grow anywhere, including places gardeners don't want them to grow. That's a good thing in this case, since not even grass can grow in that particular spot in our yard!

I would gladly take weather like yesterday's and today's all summer long. Not all year-- I'm too much a fan of the seasons for that-- but definitely all summer. I'm not a fan of swimming or boating (the former is boring to me and the latter makes me sick), so I could care less if it never gets warm enough for such things. I like that today the sun feels hot on my skin while my house stays cool enough that the idea of turning the stove on doesn't make me cry. I like that my kids can run around and play in the dirt without getting sticky and sweaty. I like that mosquitos aren't out in droves. I like that green is sprouting.

I am liking this weather.

6 comments:

  1. Jeremy, Robert, Amy, Ben, and I were walking the back way from the church to Home Town Cafe and we all saw Daniel playing with the kids in the back yard. It was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think spring is officially here as well. We had temps of 85 on Saturday and even slept with the windows open. We had rain yesterday and I am amazed at how much the rain, along with the sunshine of the past few days, has helped everything to bloom and bud - seemingly overnight. I daily check the status of my garden, I love spring. I, too, could deal with cooler summers. Unfortunately it gets a bit hotter here in the summer so I am enjoying the warm, but not hot, days as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah. i am thankful  for a fenced in yard. came w/the house. and i am real real thankful. i also like the deck we have right off the kitchen leading into our yard. we have our swing out now, thanks to Rick putting it up on Sat. i enjoy being able to sit on that swing and watch the kids play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. also, cute bronwyn story. too funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't spring great?? I love it. :) I'll be in NY Friday 5/11 -- Sunday 5/13. My brother is graduating (I think!) on Sunday. I'm driving in w/ my family from PA... another long car trip! I am not sure how I end up travelling as much as we do. It's a little crazy sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure your tulips will be beautiful!  Many are out around here and the color is so very welcome!  Love the story about Bronwyn and the children playing in the yard!  Enjoy the spring. Love to All  Gram

    ReplyDelete