Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I got permission from Daniel to clean the bathroom today.

It probably would have been better to stick with a job like dusting end tables and windowsills, but dusty end tables don't bother me while dirty bathrooms do. And, hey, at least I didn't vacuum.

Truthfully, I don't like cleaning bathrooms. In fact, it might be one of my least favorite jobs. But I really like clean bathrooms, and so I do the job often and thoroughly. Dust on the back of a toilet is far more offensive to me than dust anywhere else. Loose hairs in a bathtub give me the creeps, while I don't think twice about picking a hair off the couch. Why this is, I may never know. I guess the bottom line is that, in my opinion, bathrooms are supposed to be sanitary. Very sanitary.

I swept, I scrubbed, I cleaned the light fixtures, I washed the mirror, and I dusted baseboard. The bathroom now smells clean and it looks shiny. It was a very therapeutic 30 minutes, I must say.

As soon as I was done, though, my somewhat-perfectionistic self couldn't just be satisfied with the results. Rather, I immediately began wondering what the upstairs bathroom looks like. It rarely gets used, but I'm sure it's an inch thick in dust. Oh well. There's no way Daniel's giving me permission to climb those stairs and clean a second bathroom today. I think the only reason he agreed to me cleaning the downstairs one is because he knows it's good for my mental health, which in turn is good for my physical health.

Sometimes I wish I was more bothered by all dirt, because then my house would probably be very clean. Most of the time, I wish I was less bothered by the things that do bother me, because then I might be a more fun mom with more time to read and play.

6 comments:

  1. You'd better let your husband serve you!  You are blessed to have a man like that.  And no window washing except maybe the front door and the kids can do that!  You haven't seen the doctor yet for the ok have you?  You take care of yourself and don't take how you feel for granted.  When I was 5 months with Matthew and Alan I felt great and started doing all kinds of stuff and ended up with bleeding.  It turns out my placenta was low, but it moved to the proper place as time went by.  I had to slow down a little. And make sure I got rest even if I didn't feel tired.  I never had that with Joy, that was a blessing.  So don't do much of anything till you get the ok and that your placenta is completely healed!  No one will remember 5 years from now that you had 5 months of a messier(in your eyes) house, but you will remember forever if you do something that you shouldn't have done and it affects the baby... 
    So don't go to extremes!  Check out flylady.com and see what she has to say about perfectionism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... Amen to the previous!

    I can agree and stand with all of the faith people out there.. but I also think...some common sense and wisdom are wonderful gifts God gave to us women.

    I know you will only push yourself a little to the degree you feel confident in doing... and that will help your mental being..

    Take care of yourself and listen to your hubby.. he seems to be a good anchor... and he is helping you keep your balance in all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as you want to, try hard not to overdo yourself.  That hairy tub will be there for you to tackle after you get the big OK from your Dr.  (agreed 100%--there is something about a hair in the tub or anywhere in the bathroom for that matter that freaks me out!) 
    When is your next ultrasound?  Are you going to find out what you are having with this baby?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just telling Dan yesterday that it is so hard to find the line between housework and having fun with the kids. I try to say yes (at least a few times a day) to each of their "mommy will you play a game/do legos/play baseball/read a book with me?" requests. And then then rest of the time that I say, "wait till I'm done ___ " (fill in the blank with your choice of chores...) I just try not to feel too guilty about it. I try to remember that I while I willl never regret not having a perfectly de-cluttered and clean house, I might regret not taking the time to be with my kids while I had the chance. :) But it IS so hard. I totally feel you on this one. :)

    PS: I'm going to be in your neck of the woods for my brother's graduation from Clarkson next month. Maybe we'll run into each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you don't mind me commenting....I visited your site through Lisa C.  But it strikes me as odd that you and sarahellie were having similar feelings about time with your children.  If you check out my site from last night....my entire post is about that.  Something must be in the air....or God is really trying to speak to us moms.
    Oh, and I am totally with you on the bathroom thing!  Also, love the very real photos of your family on your previous post.....They really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. feel the same way about bathrooms. those hairs definitely bother me in there, but not anywhere else. it DOES just seem that bathrooms are supposed to be sanitary, hey? also, i was just thinking yesterday and today about spending time w/the kids and playing, etc... and how sometimes i just have to forego those "things' and be w/the kids. so, i may never have a clean house, but at least i got time w/the kids-even if i'm just sitting on the couch feeding kaelyn and communicating w/the boys while they are playing. i prob ignore house stuff too much.  

    ReplyDelete