Monday, July 31, 2006

Bits and Pieces O' Nothing

--Bronwyn is quickly approaching her 2nd birthday. This is hard for me; much more than when Gabriel turned 2, though I've no idea why. I've not allowed myself to look at any pictures of her as an infant these last couple weeks since I know I will too easily lose myself to the sad aspects of having a little girl grow instead of focusing on the joy of her development.

Still... it's not easy to realize baby days are slipping away...

--Yesterday I was able to meet someone new and actually have a several minute conversation with her without my children interrupting and making conversing impossible. This is just one more reason why I don't mind my turn working in the nursery!

--After the perfect kind of summer day, we had a cool night. Unfortunately, with last night being night #3 of Jackson sleeping horribly (waking at least every 2 hours and not sleeping soundly in-between), I didn't get to take advantage of the mild temperature and lower humidity and catch up on some much-needed rest.

--Daniel arrived home from Spain weighing a good 5-7lbs less than he did when he left. This proved to be all the inspiration I needed to re-inspect our family's diet, find it--as usual--far too high in refined flour and sugar, and make efforts to change it.

My favorite part about eating health[ier] is that corn on the cob, fresh cantaloupe, and some muffins can constitute dinner. As chef on hot summer days, I couldn't ask for more!

--I've never been a runner, jogger, or athlete of any sort. Through my highschool years, I gladly agreed to several nights/week of ballet class and lots of long, long walks down country roads in Madrid, but I never once wished to join the soccer team or play basketball. (It's not because I can't appreciate sports. It's just that I don't like doing things I stink at!) But now that my children no longer all fit in one stroller, I can't take long, long walks. Gabriel's little legs get tired and his tongue complains long before we've covered any distance... even at a slow pace.

After watching a couple specials on Discovery Health about what a lack of exercise and healthy eating does to one's body, however, I am re-charged in my desire to be disciplined so as to share my life with future generations. And since jogging means I can exercise more in a shorter amount of time, I decided to bite the bullet and join the club.

So 3 of the last 5 mornings have found me outside, getting a quick jog in while Daniel is here to watch the kids.

Do I like it? Nope.

But it's better than nothing. And maybe eventually I will like it. Kind of like the way I now love summer squash and peppers.

I hope, anyway.

--"Uncle" Merrick is concerned that Jackson wants to begin eating food since he eagerly watches me eat these days. How do I explain to a 7-year-old that Jackson would try to eat my flip-flop if I handed it to him and that his interest in my chicken and mushrooms has absolutely nothing to do with hunger?

Truly! I'm not starving my kid!

--We're all growing up. My sisters and brothers and I, that is.

I mean, the rest of you are, too. But somehow your growing doesn't take me by surprise. Other people grow and change. They always have and they always will. But us?

My sister--the braces-wearing, older sister--is expecting a baby in less than 2 months. Another sister--the stand-in-front-of-the-mirror-singing-to-herself sister--works full time and makes money... for real! And there's the sister--the quiet and always smiling little girl-who-doesn't-want-to-leave-home-for-an-overnighter sister--who is considering moving abroad for 6 months to go to school. What about my brother--my "boopah-cah" brother--who is now mature enough to change his diet and lose 30lbs in 3 weeks? Shall I continue? I probably shouldn't.

Because this is hard for me.

--I am glad to be saved. So very, very glad.

One of the things that amazes me most about the Lord is that just when I feel absolutely certain He must be disappointed and frustrated with me; that the response I am sure to get when I approach Him will be one of correction and disapproval; He showers love on me.

Showers and showers of love.

4 comments:

  1. Me?  I'm stuck in the "wishing away the years" syndrome.  Though I do look at baby pictures with regret, I do not dread the next birthday of my children... well (as Seth screams his head off), I do dread age 2... but for completely other reasons.  Motherhood of multiple preschoolers has not taken to me well.
    I sat on the couch crying this morning (after discovering yet more lice eggs in Cassie's hair) and meditated on Psalm 119:71 again.  Instead of shaking my fist at God like I had developed the habit for, I simply thanked Him for his faithfulness, apologized for my shortcomings, and for a moment felt His love all around me.  I don't know why He loves me.  Just like I don't know why being afflicted is a sign of God's faithfulness.    But I believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I MISS YOU ALREADY!!!!!!!!!! I hope you are doing well!

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, was not a athletic kid. I started walking, with a partner, in the summer of 2000. Soon we decided we could cover more ground by joggging. The next thing you know we were signing up for a 5K, then a 10K, then a half-marathon, then a 25K. I enjoy running because the only person I am competing with is myself. If only I had the time, and discipline, to get back at it. I hope you come to enjoy it as much.

    ReplyDelete