Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I am what people like myself refer to as a "realist."

(I'm a pessimist.)

This iniquitous personality trait does not lend itself naturally to hope, which is why it is all the more important that I learn to hope.

I am blessed that I married the optimist of optimists. Even when I think for sure something will disappoint Daniel and "put him over the edge," he somehow sees the good in it; and he always firmly believes that there is a way to hope in the midst of the most trying of moments. Having an unwaveringly buoyant spouse helps remind me that life is not all one gloomy prediction coming true.

Unfortunately, I haven't had him here to balance me out of late.

But I have His Word, and I like to hope that between His Spirit in me and my husband's influence, I am learning to be less of a pessimist and more of a believer.

For in You, O Lord, I hope; You will hear, O Lord my God. (Ps 38:15)

Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God. (Ps 146:5)

Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Ro 5:5)

5 comments:

  1. Romans 5&6 definitely have to be some of my favorite parts of Scripture...particularly that verse from 5:5 that you quoted above...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to imagine how anyone can survive apart from the hope we have in Christ.  I know it is often the life preserver I cling to when I become overly pessimistic...or the life preserver that is "forced" around me by Tim when I am being too stubborn to grab it myself. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I have this philosophy that if you are a pessimist you should be extremely happy. The dictionary says that a pessimist is someone who always expects the worst. So, I think that means things almost always go better than expected, right?

    I think it is important to be real, but also to find the joy in the real circumstances. I think you do that, a lot. I love reading your posts, because you are so real but express a joy nonetheless. And I am confident that you are and will be someone not seen for their negative outlook but for their faith and joy in the Lord. And not just because of your incredible husband, who is returning soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wrote, "This iniquitous personality trait does not lend itself naturally to hope, which is why it is all the more important that I learn to hope."

    That is not only incredibly insightful, but true! Thank you. This is really helpful to me. I have a tendency to be a pessimist which I must fight.

    May I quote you?

    IMHO, being a pessimist is having an ungodly bias and is absolutely not being a realist. Anyone who claims to be a realist believes a lie, is deceived to the true nature of reality, and is blind to their own biases. Pessimism also produces negative long term fruit in one's soul.

    In short, pessimism is evil. :)

    I may be coming on a bit strong, but I have learned this the very hard way. If I water this down for myself it only serves to make it easier for negative atitudes and self-deception to creep into my life. I have enough of a problem with this stuff otherwise.

    Again, thank you for the great post.

    RB

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish they made movies of Anne as a wife and mom in her house of dreams too. that would have been so cool. oh yes...those quiet hrs... i hope his return comes quickly.

    ReplyDelete