Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sunday afternoons are very unpredictable for our family, and are often extremely rushed. We get home from church and have tired and hungry--and therefore grouchy--little people for whom the meal cannot be put on the table soon enough. Of course, this means us "big" people find that naptime cannot come soon enough!

On a normal not-normal Sunday afternoon, the kids rarely all sleep at the same time. Daniel and I typically spend the handful of hours before he runs out the door for the Sunday night College Ministry meeting taking turns dealing with a 3-year-old who still hasn't mastered the art of staying on his bed until he falls asleep, trying to keep our emotional almost-2-year-old from wailing so loud the entire neighborhood is disturbed, walking the baby, etc. I've gone so far in my Sunday-insanity as to think that the kids actually work together to sabotage the afternoon by taking turns sleeping instead of all napping simulatenously and thereby giving Daniel and I a break!

The last two weeks have been quite the opposite, I must say. With no Sunday School at 9am, we have only to be at church for the 10:30am worship service. Since the drive is less than 3 minutes (not including getting into the van, of course, which is another 5-10 minutes in good weather), I have been able to bid Gabriel good-bye at 9am as he leaves for worship team sound check with Carina and then lay Bronwyn and Jackson down for naps. Bronwyn doesn't usually take a morning nap, but Sundays are definitely deserving of such things. This nap means that my two youngest are neither tired or emotional throughout the worship service, and this makes for a much more pleasant and far less stressful experience.

We've come home shortly after the service ends, since running around on my own after two toddlers with a 16+ lb baby weighing me down doesn't sound like fun or like a good fellowship opportunity. This 12:30ish arrival home means the kids have eaten before they had a chance to cry from starvation, and this means I'm not grumpy.

Naptimes have coincided for all 3 almost exactly at the same times (which is something I have yet to accomplish most every other day of the week), since Gabriel is tired enough after his exciting morning of watching a drummer that he falls asleep before the 2 hours Jack naps are expired.

But you know what? I'd rather a rushed morning and getting out the door by 9am at the latest (earlier if Daniel's leading worship), baby and little girl falling asleep in arms during the service if we're fortunate, bouncing a tired baby and distracting hungry toddlers while Daniel talks with the many people who need to talk to him or who he needs to talk, arriving home to the sounds of 3 very loud cries, eating a meal while Jackson sleeps which means Jackson being awake while the other kids sleep, etc. than have the peace and quiet all to myself.

Four more bedtimes... Three more mornings...

Yay!

4 comments:

  1. So why did you (the church) get out early last Sunday? We were not there and your father made refrence to it in his sermon, so we wondered.

    AnDi

    P.S. I didn't get to finish reading your post yet but when I get home from P&C I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you are a busy woman! I must say that. I did not go to P&C yet but I did finish your post now. We decided today was a bad day to cook so we ate at the Asian Buffet. We called it our last time before we move. We are funny like that. Then we ventured over to Walmart where we bought diapers, wipes, a new carseat for Hayla, sandles for Hayla, deoderant, and gum. I love trips to Walmart that we actually get what I have wanted to get for a long time (carseat). Then we came home and layed around in our air conditioned room. Hayla is still asleep and Keith just shaved his head like your son had to do. The only difference is that Keith didn't have to. So that was our day and now we are off to P&C. Sorry I told you everything and therefore made you have to read a huge, long post. Oh well. It will give you more to do I suppose. Plus I need to get used to writing because next Sunday is our last one before we move. We are moving the 29th. I will miss you and all your family. You are so delightful to see every Sunday! Well See ya next Sunday.

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK- here's the scoop. I will put Colby & Tim on the recreation bus at about 8:30am. Then after that- it's your call (and Abby's). My friend Heather will be going over late morning- and since she lives right nearby Rit & Deb's house, it's easy for her to play things by ear. As far as I'm concerned- you guys choose the times. There is a pack&play and a playpen there, but bring yours if you wish. There are two high chairs, lots of toys. etc. If you want to bring Merrick- great. If you want to invite someone else- great. The more the merrier! I know it's a drive for you, so if you want to come to my house and ride together, that's fine with me! Believe it or not, we could fit pretty easily. It's up to you...Call me when the kids are in bed. We're usually up until at least 11:30-midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The end is in sight!  I'm sure you are completely excited!  I need to chat about the upcoming trip to Pa and who all is coming down with you guys.  I'm in charge of setting up accomodations for the worship team but need to know who and how many need accomodated.  Thanks!  And well done!  (You will definitely hear that along with "good and faithful servant" for your sacrifices over the past 3 weeks)

    ReplyDelete