Monday, July 3, 2006

My latest adventure was kind of funny, a bit scary, and somewhat classic-Brietta.

It was around 11am. Jack was oversleeping his morning nap, but before waking him I thought I would load the garbage from our garbage pail into the van. My agenda was to wake him, load the kids in the van, dump the garbage, pick up Camilla (who is coming over this afternoon so I can get some projects done around the house), stop by the post office to get our mail (believe me, I would have it delivered if I could, but in small towns they can decide you  live "too close" to the post office), and return home.

Kids, I'm bringing the garbage out. Stay in the house.

Four bags were tossed into the back of the van (reason #561 I'm glad we have the "Grand" minivan) and I turned to go back into the house. Gabriel and Brownyn were standing on the porch with bare feet, smiling at me.

Gabriel, when Mama says to stay in the house, you need to obey. Bronwyn doesn't know to stay away from the road so it's dangerous to out here when I'm not watching.

Oh well. Chalk up one on the "Disobedient" list; but who's keeping track? I sigh, take their hands, and turn the doorknob.

Uh oh.

Gabriel, why is the door locked?

Because I locked it, Mom.

Right. You locked it. And the keys are in the house. And the cell phone is in the house. And we don't have a back door. So we're locked out. And Jack is locked in.

What to do?

Of course! The basement door! It means walking through a pitch-black basement that is infested at various times (maybe right now, for all I know) with mice and trip up stairs that I won't be able to see, but at least it will get me in.

After instructing Gabriel and Bronwyn to sit tight (Please, Lord, let them obey!), I did just that.

This is where the first bit of classic-Brietta comes in, because if I'd thought through it all, I would have remembered that we have a hook and eye lock on our basement door to keep toddlers from opening it and tumbling down the stairs to the cement floor. But, of course, I didn't think through the plan and only remembered this as I was trying to bust the basement door open in the pitch darkness, wondering the whole while what might scamper by at any minute.

So I stumble back through the basement and emerge outside, at that point just hoping the kids stayed put. They did, though Gabriel was crying hysterically because he thought I abandoned him.

Embarrassed by having to let anybody in on the scrape I was in, I pick up the two kids and cross the road to where a retired couple lives. Daniel's met them, but I never have. This would be a more-than-slightly humiliating first encounter.

After getting introductions overwith and disclosing my poor mothering abilities, I called my parents' from my neighbors phone. Carina answered and I told her I needed help. She, as always, responded by coming over. After unsuccessfully trying to heave me up over the back deck, which happens to be 10' above the ground, not counting the railing, she went back to Mom and Dad's to get a ladder.

Her return brought my dad along to help with the rescue mission.

But in the most embarrassing and classic-Brietta moment of all, I realized that my parents had a set of keys at the house because Josh had borrowed our car, and that set of keys just so happened to include a house key.

You mean that key chain has a house key and you didn't just tell us to bring it?

Well... I didn't remember that you have it.

Yup.

*Note: Jack slept through the whole thing and Carina is good-natured about my less-than-intelligent responses to emergencies. And thank goodness my family lives about half a mile down the road!*

8 comments:

  1. *how to make your day exciting=P* when i was probably 8 mos. pregnant i got locked out of our house. my father in law had to climb through one of our windows and then fall to the floor on the inside since there wasn't any furniture nearby. fortunately they only live half a mile away=) I will keep praying for you while daniel is away!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an entertaining vignette. My mom and I talked a bit about you and Daniel today. I told her how I like reading your posts. Are you coming to Anthony's wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!  That is just too funny.  Thank God that Jack stayed asleep. It probably would have become MUCH more stressful if you had an infant inside screaming his lungs out!!
    Anyway, you can read Lisa's post on my site if you want.  She has her mother-in-law to watch kids on Thursday, so if us mommys all want to get coffee or something, it just might work.  Let me know if your interested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a funny story though I'm sure it wasn't really funny at the time.  I am always paranoid about checking and double checking that I have keys on me before closing doors because I know how prone I am to leave them in.  However, there is always the unexpected as the time when I locked my keys in the car and smiled to myself thinking how smart I was to have a spare key in my wallet just to turn and realize that my purse (wallet and spare key in it) was locked in the car as well!  These kinds of incidents make for memories we can laugh about much, much later in life!  I've been praying for you while Daniel is away!
    love,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brietta
    I have a story to tell you also, Jamie was 6 weeks old we were planning her Baptism party, that would be the 1st big party without my Mom there. since my mom passed away the day after her birth. I was very stressed to begin with. well I'm cleaning the house, I have the easy off in the oven to clean the oven (which I was told not to) Tony said leave it for me to do.... well the oven caught on fire my 6 week old is in her swing sleeping away in the dining room I leave her in the house and go to my next doors house telling them I think the house is on fire, the elderly couple asked where is Jessica and Jamie I said Jessica is with her Dad at the store, Jamie is sleeping in the dining room she said Doreen go get Jamie out of the house I said oh I don't want to wake her up. I just need to call my sister and ask her how to get rid of this fire... couple call the fire department and get your Jamie. well i didnt call the fire department however I did get jamie out of there By the time I went back to get her. the room was filled with smoke..... so I go back to the elderly couples house to call my sister NOT the FIRE department My sister said let me call Debby ( Michelle's Mom) she said, did anyone of you call the fire department Dary said no we wanted your opinion I'll call the fire department and meet me at Doreens... so I had 4 fire trucks and paramedic's in front of my house when Tony and Jess came home... Cell phones weren't heard of 18 years ago for the everyday people... before everyone got there I was going to try to take matters in my own hand I got the lawn hose and im pacing back and forth with it in my hands should I spray or shouldn't I.... I sitll can't believe I left my child in the house when its on fire with smoke filling the house.... I just didnt want to wake her....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brietta,
    Wow what a story.  I am in New Hampshire as of now and will be going to Munnsville, where we will be checking out an apartment to live. Then we will be going to Buffalo to my parents, where we will be able to meet our niece for the first time, who is about 11 months old. So i do not believe we will be at church this week. I will miss you all.
    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember a time while housesitting for the McGraths that a similar thing happened to me.  They warned me never to leave the house without a key, even for a moment, because the dog jumps up against the door and sometimes locks it.  Okay.  The whole week the dog never did such a thing, and two days before the McGraths were to return I figured just this once would be okay.  So I stepped out onto the stairs to put something down.  The door shut behind me, so I stood up and turned toward it.  Just as my hand was about to grab the knob, the dog jumped JUST ONCE and locked me out.  ARGH!  After hours of unsuccessful attempts I finally got the neighbor to help me by taking off the living room window and hoisting me over the couch.  Thankfully the dog didn't poop or pee all over the house.

    ReplyDelete