Wednesday, July 26, 2006

*Note: There are a lot of pictures of the house in this entry. Not real exciting, I know, but I thought my friends who have yet to see my home and surroundings here in Madrid might enjoy a peek at some of the house. The rest of you (and some of them, it's true) might very well be bored. My apologies.*

While Daniel was gone I tackled some extra projects around the house. Up until recently these projects had been on "hold" because we were waiting to see how much our driveway expansion would cost, as my projects would involve purchasing extra storage. Just before Daniel left for Spain, he more-or-less finished the driveway/retaining wall and came in under budget. (Yea for that! ) So after he left I ordered bookshelves and baskets for storing toys, books, and our growing stash of toddler art supplies; and I bought a side table for the dining room so that I could move the dresser that had been in the dining room to the kids' room, allowing me to move Jackson's clothes from a laundry basket to a dresser. (Happy 6-month birthday, Jack!)

With the help of two guys that now call my parents Mom and Dad and therefore get the joy of helping me with jobs around the house, the furniture was assembled and I worked to my heart's delight at re-organizing.

I also transplanted a bunch of wild lilies from the borders of our yard to the area under our bedroom window. It's so shaded there that not even grass grows but--as those of you familiar with these lilies and their wild (and, at times, obnoxious) growth habits can attest--these flowers grow anywhere and are perfect for such an area.

At any rate, the kids' room is finally looking like we've moved in, after a long several months of boxes and laundry baskets and a severe lack of pictures/personal touches. There are always more things I would like to do/find/buy, but I'm happy for now. I don't mind the "settling in" process taking a long time, but I do like to feel that we haven't completely abandoned the efforts.

The kids' room as you look in from the doorway:


The kids' room from the rocker where I sit and read aloud at night:

(Gabriel sleeps in the bottom bunk and Bronwyn is just learning to use the "big bed" so Jack can have the crib.)

The room when standing near the crib:

(That's the dresser for Jack's clothes--where there used to be a laundry basket, plastic bags, and carboard boxes.)

The side table in the dining room:


I'm now tired of uploading pictures, so if you want to see the family room, come visit me.

15 comments:

  1. on my way in a mere one week! Glee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday I'm going to feel moved in... next house maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm kind of sad. jack is almost 6 1/2 months old. how dare he grow so fast??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not fair!  I can't come visit you!!!  Well, maybe in September, okay?  You've got a good sense of congruency. (did I spell that right?)  Is your house a two BR?  I'm curious why you have all three in one room.  Or are you like me where you don't believe children need their OWN bedrooms.  My friends and family think I'm nuts... including Sonny.  But he supports me.
    I think because he realizes we can have loads of children and not have to spend a fortune on a multi-BR house.  Four is plenty enough for any amount we end up with.  IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I'm like you!  Because whenever anyone challenges my "beliefs" I say, "I knew a family with eight children (pre-Merrick days) who were all happy in their three-bedroom set-up."  From what I remember, Danica, you, and Carina shared a twin and a double, and the rest (until Jaime got too old) were in a room to the left of the top of the stairs, and Camilla (the newborn) was with your parents.  I loved it!  (pre-remodel days.  Actually, the last time I saw your house was when Merrick had just got home from the hospital... maybe a week or so after) 
    You have no idea what influence your family had on my young Christian mind back then!  I chuckle even now at a memory!!!
    I ran into Danica in Crane when we were both entering the ladies room.  (the one next to the teacher's lounge)  She was in the stall to the right, and we were... ya' know... and chatting at the same time.  I asked her, "So, why did your mom and dad decide to have so many children?"  And she answered from her stall (I can still vividly see her feet in my memory!  hahahahaha), "They just decided that if they were going to trust God with their lives, then that includes children.  So they just trust God with how many children He gives them."
    Ya just never know where you learn life-changing information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color's your house looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Honey, I know exactly what you're talking about!  At 13wks I still didn't feel any kind of fullness "down there" with this pregnancy, so I was half hoping there just wasn't anything down there and something else was causing my ceased mensus.  Well, the bulge came two days later... and I have to come back to reality.  It's not really having another BABY that gets at me... it's the limitations of pregnancy, the challenges of pregnancy, and both of those combined with what I already have.  I tell ya, as soon as I get pregnant you can hear me ocassionally utter, "I can't wait to get this kid out!"  And people think I'm a little premature for saying such things.  LOL!  Some days I'm fine about God planning our family.  And then most days I'm already apologizing to God in advance for my plans of prevention in the future.  We'll see.  Eeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Brietta, It's Liz.  Your house looks lovely!  Doesn't it feel good to settle?

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's beautiful! thanks for sharing pictures. that sure was a nice treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The furniture looks nice in white.  It's neat to see it.  It looks like a really big room.  Is that a quilt above Jack's dresser?  You're good at decorating.  Was Daniel surprised at what you got done? 

    ReplyDelete
  11. The house looks amazing! I love the kids room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pictures are great... Update us with as many "boring" posts as you like!

    Joel improved dramatically during the evening, although I'm not sure how it's possible to go 8 times in 40 minutes! He's worse than me at this point.

    Unfortunately, he absolutely refuses to try #2 on the potty and to make that matter worse he starts a perscription today for "miralax". (The name is kind of self-explanatory.)

    I guess I should probably follow up my previous posts with an update. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh so not fair...now I have to send in one of my spies and get more pictures of your house!

    ReplyDelete