Friday, October 31, 2008

Catching Up


Tuesday afternoon, we went ahead and moved out of our house temporarily while the kitchen remodel takes place. My grandparents' apartment (part of my parents' house) is available right now since my grandparents are currently in Florida, so that's where we've relocated to. The decision was kind of last-minute, so I quickly unpacked our kitchen (which was a surprisingly big job that Daniel and I somehow managed to do in less than 2 hours while Liana kept our kids entertained) and we left.

Pretty exciting, this home remodeling stuff. And pretty nice that we don't have to just function without a kitchen while the work takes place.

We're enjoying being here at Mom and Dad's. The kids think it's just one long sleepover. I'm enjoying having lots of friends (aka sisters) to spend the day with while we go about our somewhat regular activities. It's fun to cook for such a big houseful, too, especially since they all seem pretty appreciative of the results. Wednesday I made split pea soup (creamy and loaded with crumbled bacon-- yum) and last night I made homemade mac & cheese and a huge pot of homemade applesauce with all my remaining apples. Some good comfort food for these snowy days.

This morning most of the household has vacated the premises as they go about their Friday routine: work, college classes, Friday program, etc. I'm here with my three youngest and Lauren, who is currently enjoying following Bronwyn around. The goal for the morning is getting our laundry done so I can pack Daniel's bag for his weekend away.

I've started thinking about the 10-day trip to Pittsburgh that we have planned for Thanksgiving. I'm really excited about it! I have lots of people (and babies!) to catch up with. For example, I've yet to see either of her 2 younger girls in person! And Aubrey still hasn't met most of our Pittsburgh friends and relatives.

Along with those activities, I've been spending a lot of time thinking and praying about the upcoming elections. This is weighty stuff and is often on my mind. While I am sober and prayerful, I am also renewed in the peace of being held in the palm of His hands. He is surprised or undone by nothing, and His kingdom is ever increasing.


5 comments:

  1. I've wondered where Laura ended up during this "vacate the house" spell. Is she there with you all? And Crystal as well? If so, as usual, the more the merrier we always say!Can't wait to join such a happy bunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @darlenes - Laura originally thought she would rather sleep at our house and then just join us for meals on occasion, but after one night on her own she ended up transitioning to just being here most all of the time.    Fun days!  We can't wait to have you here, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like exciting times, even if you have to change up your living arrangements temporarily!  Sadly, we will miss you all     when you visit in November!  We will be heading to the beach for Thanksgiving break.  We will sooooo miss seeing you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds exciting!  I still wish I could have grown up in a big family.  I had one friend that was one of 5 and did spend lots of weekends there....I always made split pea soup with ham.....sometimes I just don't think more than one way but with bacon sounds really good!  I think I will do that too.  When we moved I threw out my saved ham bones from the freezer...I would use them for soup...I wanted to give them to someone's dog but never got around to it....Joy wants a "real dog" for her birthday but we're not ready yet.  Maybe Christmas?  Everything around here is still up in the air, not knowing or being able to plan because of my dad.  He is in his home in VA right now and has refused help....Uggghhh....Joy has a weekend girlfriend that lives right next door, she's here now.  She visits her dad on weekends.  We like our new home, just have to continue that organization that eludes me, I know I need to continue to get rid of things.  And on top of everything else, Matthew's student loan is messed up, well, it looks like the school didn't send a paper they were supposed to send and he's lost it....just waiting till Monday till everythings open to worry about that.  Matthew didn't follow up on it like I asked him to a couple weeks ago either... But God is working in everything that is going on with us, I see it, and it just reminds me of what Natalie said today too, he keeps giving me things I didn't know I could handle and I know I couldn't handle without Him.  Love you guys....still trying to see if I could work out a visit to Pittsburgh myself, but I don't think Doug is interested....Maybe you could tell me the to and from dates you guys will be there...don't do  it online though....email is good.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an interesting blog. You are very knowledgeable about this subject. Please check out my site.

    ReplyDelete