Monday, October 27, 2008

Daily schedule


Several of my readers have asked about the list I use for making my daily schedule after my recent post on a day in my life. I really can't lay claim to this particular document I print and use because I know I got the idea from something I saw once on another wife & mom's blog. I just don't remember what blog or I would point you to the original idea instead of simply sharing my version of what I remember of it. (Carole, maybe you remember, because I think I found it through your recommended list?)

Photobucket


Here are some of the things I love about this:

1. My life is not identical day after day and this list allows me to adjust my routine and schedule for each day. I think we all have things that come up like dental appointments, house projects that overrun our existence, etc., but since I don't even have the stability of bus schedules/public school hours, a 40-hour a week job, or even a husband who works 9-5 and is home each evening, it's really helpful to have something like this.

2. Each time I look at this sheet throughout the day, I tell myself to first look at the scripture verse I'm meditating on. It's a great way to keep my mind on Jesus throughout my day.

3. This list limits me to 10 things on my To Do list. I need this sort of limitation because I can get so lofty in my ambitions that I doom myself to failure.

4. The "Most Important Things" reallllllly helps me focus my day. If I could highly recommend borrowing one idea from this daily docket, I would say this is the thing you need. I can get so distracted by the things I need to do and then finish my day not having accomplished the most important things, which leaves me feeling unproductive and frustrated even if I've been busy doing good things since I first woke up.

5. Keeping track of water intake is very helpful! I only have 4 boxes because I use a 34oz water bottle that I aim to fill 4x each day. I consider anything I drink with meals out of a glass as superfluous fluid-intake.

6. Having the dinner plan written out right with the daily schedule/to do list helps me keep track of what time I need to do various preparations so that we actually eat something besides cereal for dinner. (Not that that's ever happened here... )

I put this stolen idea together using a publisher document and I also have it saved as a pdf, so if any of you readers would like it in either of these formats, let me know and I can send it to you. (Oh-- don't forget to give me your email address unless you know I already have it.)


10 comments:

  1. May I please have it sent to me in a .pub document? 
    Wow!  I honestly never thought you've ever fed your children cereal for dinner.  I thought I was the only one who did that, with pancakes being in first place!!!
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://simplemom.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/homenotebookdownloads.pdfI just started using a form that is almost identical to yours...perhaps this is where you got it?  The "Daily Docket" is on page 3 of the pdf.  Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Brietta!  I love this list.  Ever since I saw it at your house, I put, "Make to do list on computer" on my long, never ending list I keep next to the computer.  It looks so handy - especially the Top 3 Things part.  I'm so bad at that!  I find myself doing the little things first because they will take less time and I'll feel good about getting so many little things done - but never get to the most important things.  Good, good stuff.  Thanks so much for letting us see this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://simplemom.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/sm-dailydocketdownload.pdfYep, here it is.  And another commenter already knows where it is!
    Simple Mom actually has a page now dedicated to her downloadable documents.  :)  For people such as us.  You've inspired me to revive my attempts at using her daily docket.  Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tracy - @cjbeinetti - Yes, yes, now I remember: simple mom (of course)!  Thank you for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @A_Sundaramurthy - Are you kidding? Pancakes are a planned meal around here.    It's probably everyone's favorite dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME!!  Thank you thank you thank you!  I would love for you to send this to me.  It is just what I have been needing!  E-mail Address:rcherienelson@yahoo.comI guess try sending it to me as a publisher document.  We recently switched from a PC to a Mac and I am still learning, just getting started really, all the different programs.  I will make sure to let you know if I don't get it.Again...Thanks! 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just went back and read others comments--I can retrieve it myself, no need to trouble you!  Thank you though!I can't wait to start using it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for sharing this. I have been wanting something like this and had yet to find it until you showed us!
    Also, I wanted to say that I greatly appreciated your "Day In the Life" post. I loved the way you showed the different tasks you completed. It really encouraged me. I saw that though I only have one child and one on the way, I can begin to order my days and find satisfaction in organization even now. I also get the feeling that the sooner I start, the less of a difficult transition it will be as we have more and more children (Lord willing). So thank you! It has encouraged me to get back in the game and ever since last week, my days have been happily full of housekeeping and tired sighs at the end of days well spent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for providing such valuable information and thanks for sharing this Business Promotion technique.

    ReplyDelete