Tuesday, November 4, 2008

::


:: Our house is still mostly in demolition stage. The more that's been torn apart, the more justified I feel in remodeling. There were sections of the exterior wall that were completely missing insulation; the sections that did were moldy and ruined. The elements had rotted many of the wood clapboards along with some important beams. Our floor underneath the sink crumbled in our contractor's hands because it was rotting and moldy.

Yuck.

I'm so glad our kitchen will be able to handle the elements after this!

:: Last night I shared at a Mother's Meeting and so I left Aubrey home with Daniel. This is the first time I've ever left her to be put to bed by someone else, but I knew she would be really tough to care for while trying to share. My one consolation was that she has been falling asleep better in her own bed than she does nursing/in my arms of late, and I knew that Daniel would call me if things got desperate.

The report: Aubrey was getting tired and fussy at her regular bedtime (7pm) and Daniel laid her in bed, where she promptly closed her eyes and fell asleep. And when I heard this, it hit me: Aubrey's journey away from the 24/7 necessity of me is beginning. I must confess that I have mixed feelings about it all.

:: Today we're planning on buying a new dishwasher and microhood for our kitchen. We plan on utilizing the power of cash to get a bargain.   We'll see how we do!

:: It's a beautiful day here! I plan on sending the kids outdoors now and letting them enjoy the sunshine. Our snowstorm last week was a lot of fun for the kids, but I must confess that it felt rather too early for me. It's much, much easier to slip some mudboots on the kids than it is to bundle them in their snowsuits, mittens, hats, boots, etc.!

:: Don't forget to vote. This is a big day for us and we have a privilege to take part in it.

Vote for life.


6 comments:

  1. The invention of the microhood should be up there as one of the greatest in recent history.  I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you still staying with your parents? How did the buying with cash go today?!?! I can't wait to see finished project pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!  We've been looking into buying a dishwasher and microhood ourselves!  What do you mean by "utilizing the power of cash"?  Everything is so expensive, so if you know something we don't know, we could use the advice! Today at 4:00, we meet with the Lowe's guy about our cabinets for the second time.  We plan to start taring out cabinets next week!  I can't wait to have cabinet doors that close, a non-carpeted kitchen floor, and a DISHWASHER!!!  YES! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you both the best of luck with remodeling, I haven't had the pleasure to be able to purchase a house in which I can put any of my own ideas into it. It's exciting hearing about your remodeling and the new ideas and items that your going to buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @EJTrelease - The "power of cash" is a Dave Ramsey term referring to the good deals you can get when you buy things with cash (as opposed to credit, obviously, or even a checkbook).  When you tell a salesman that you have cash-- and show it to them!-- you have more ability to ask for a good deal.  This works especially well with smaller stores; chain stores are often confined to their sales.@mom2mkei_2 - We got a $300 microhood (stainless steel!) for $150.

    ReplyDelete