Wednesday, October 15, 2008

House update


We are plugging away at "our" jobs that need to be finished before our contractor returns to do all the interior work in the kitchen/great room project. Daniel's been slowly but surely painting the exterior of the house with the help of those poor unsuspecting souls who happen to mention that they have some free time on Tuesday mornings. The job is almost complete, minus painting the trim in a few places and the doors.

Photobucket

Photobucket

My job of picking things out is getting taken care of, too. In my mind's eye, my choices are just perfect. The good thing is that I haven't had anybody look at me in horrified shock when I've showed them the samples, so I think it will all work together nicely. I'll know in a month.

This is more or less the style cabinets I'm getting.
Sorry the photo's so blurry. I stink at photography.
Photobucket

More stinking at photography.
Left to right:
wood sample for the cabinets, countertop sample, interior wall (the green looks very... ummm... not right in this photo-- sorry) & trim samples
Photobucket

This is the sort of fabric I'm leaning towards for flat paneled valances
Photobucket

The official cabinet proposal arrived yesterday, which makes it all feel very wonderfully real. Of course, I'm so not used to knowing what to do with this sort of thing that I just took it and stuck it on the refrigerator for Daniel to look at. I'll take care of the being So Ridiculously Excited part of it all. Everything else rest just makes my hands get clammy because I am so out of my element. If I ever say I can't handle my kids again, remind me of how much better I do with childcare than with any sort of business transaction.

Oh, but I am So Ridiculously Excited! It doesn't even matter that things will continue to happen in stages instead of right away (like, the new appliances won't be purchased until next spring and the corner sofa-- idemo beige, not black-- until after that) because I will actually have storage in my kitchen! And my refrigerator won't open against the adjoining counter! And there will be counters for cooking and baking! And I will be happy to share my workspace instead of banging into people all the time! And it will be beautiful!

I'm not sure exactly how many more days we have until the official work resumes around here. I don't think much more than a week since the cabinet installation is due the first week in November! Yay!


12 comments:

  1. I LOVE the color and pattern combinations.  It actually is a very close replica of my future kitchen.  I am in between homes now so my next kitchen will be the one close to yours.  I have been gathering ideas and fabric samples for a while now.  I love it!I can only imagine how excited you must be....congrats on all the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun!  The planning stage always makes me nervous.  I have trouble seeing in my mind what things will look like together.  I know from experience that you do a great job at this.  This project is just a bit bigger than your other ones.  I'm so excited that you will have this space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful!  I can't wait to see it next time we come to visit. I do love that blue and white fabric (since Saturday, I already forgot the name of it!).  Thanks again for having us this past weekend.  We had a blast.  You guys are the best!  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get how the blue and white valences will go with green and cream color scheme, but hey, I'm really, REALLY AWEFUL at picking paint colors.  I mean, real pathetic!  Getting a new kitchen is every woman's dream come true!  I am excited for you.  I can't wait to see the end result... but I guess that'll be a while.  LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I mean I like that style! (not meant to be a question!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are those little walnut squares in the corners of the cabinet door and drawer?
    I like that style?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been watching your progress on the house from the outside driving by during the summer.  It's coming along very, very nicely.  Absolutely beautiful.  Isn't it fun to sometimes do away with the old, and bring in something refreshingly new?  Even if sometimes it's just a change in paint color?  Your choices look great and I'm sure it will continue to be even more cozy in your home once all of it is finally completed.  I'M EXCITED FOR YOU TOO!  Love & Blessings,  Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Japangela - It's all about contrasting colors.   Maybe if the green had come through the photo better you'd see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @LisaMCriscitello - They're more like exposed screws almost.  I love the way it looks, too-- at least in the picture. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited for both of you!  I'm especially proud at the wisdom you and Daniel have practiced as you have planned and then waited for the money to do projects.  You are an example to many of living God's best plan, following a budget and being patient to wait for the money before spending it.  Your colors look great to me.  Of course my opinion doesn't carry much authority since I am decorating impaired. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choices and I'm so excited for you! I know how I crazy it is to have such a small space and want a new kitchen! Yay for you guys!
    So, yes, I've chosen a midwife in Potsdam since Allison took off to NC. Bummer. So we'll be around again. We need to have these girls together, for sure. My first appointment is next friday. I'll be sure to keep you updated when I'm in town.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for providing such a valuable information and thanks for sharing this matter.

    ReplyDelete