Monday, October 20, 2008

A day in the life: Monday


A bit ago I saw a number of blogs hosting "A day in the life" with pictures and details of a real, down-to-earth day in their home. I'm no photographer *snort* but I guess there was something that really appealed to me about the whole thing just the same. So here's my Day in the Life. Raw, unedited (I mean, other than some cropping and red-eye removal), make-up-less reality.


Photobucket

I was greeted almost first thing with Jackson's wet sheets. He had leaked through last night.


Photobucket

Breakfast for the kids at around 8:30am, after getting everyone ready for the day and starting laundry.


Photobucket

I cleaned up from breakfast.


Photobucket

Then I had a few moments of quiet/reflection/Bible meditation, along with a chance to make my list for the day.


Photobucket

I got Jackson busy with trains and Aubrey with him (or so I thought) and then started Gabriel and Bronwyn on their table work.


Photobucket

I aim to drink 4 of these 34oz water bottles a day, plus whatever I drink at meals. I always drink at least 3, often 3-1/2, and occasionally I actually reach my goal.


Photobucket

Gabriel and Bronwyn were busy with their math/handwriting work and I had a minute to notice that Aubrey was upstairs banging on Gabriel drumset. I brought her back downstairs, only to realize the problem wasn't that the gate hadn't been put up but that she's learned how to use her shoulders to push it aside.


Photobucket

This is one determined girl, let me tell you.


Photobucket

After repeating the above scene 3 times, I brought her down and stuck her in Jackson's booster with a crayon. She pretended to draw, her favorite pasttime, for almost 15 minutes


Photobucket

I did this many times throughout the day (I lose count after a while). I think this picture was taken just before I began our Read Aloud time. (We finished chapter 2 of Five Little Peppers today.)


Photobucket

I got the kids ready to play outside and then I hung some things on the line.


Photobucket

I got to see and hear this.


Photobucket

Bronwyn and Jackson driving their trucks in the yard.


Photobucket

We ate lunch around noon. Rice cakes with peanut butter, mozzarella cheese, and cortland apples.


Photobucket

Daniel stopped and checked some work I had done for him in the morning. Then he was off again for the rest of the afternoon and through the evening (Monday is one of his long days).


Photobucket

Between lunch and naps, I chipped away at the weekend laundry.


Photobucket

After 3 kids were all sleeping and Gabriel was playing nicely (probably around 1:30pm), I started tackling the bushel of apples Laura's (the girl who's living with us) mom brought this weekend when she came to visit. I'm so excited to have these. I peeled and sliced enough apples for 4 freezer bags (each bag has enough apples for an apple pie or an apple crisp) and then an additional 20 cups or so to make a sizeable pot of applesauce today. I still have at least half the bushel left to take care of.


Photobucket

Around 3pm Liana walked Merrick down for some playtime. She read a book to Bronwyn before the kids headed outdoors to play more and we (Laura, Liana, and I) visited a bit.


Photobucket

At 4pm Liana and Merrick left, I put a PBS video on the history of trains from the library on for the kids, and I got back to work. Emptied the dishwasher.


Photobucket

Then I folded the 2 loads of laundry that were finished.


Photobucket

I totally accidentally deleted my Before picture. You might think I'm lying, but I was actually really excited about showing the progress in the kids' room! Oh well. All you get to see is after I re-made Jackson's bed, tided the other beds, picked up what-felt-like 100 miscellaneous clothing and paper items, and dusted.


Photobucket

When I got downstairs from working on the kids' room, this is what I found Aubrey doing. She figured out how to get past the child-latches on the cupboards. What a girl.


Photobucket

I vacuumed, partly because the house needed it and mostly because it would be a chore I could get done while entertaining Aubrey simultaneously (she loves playing "chase" with the vacuum cleaner).


Photobucket

After dinner with the kids and Laura of grilled cheese sandwiches (the kids), leftover chicken pot pie (Laura & I) applesauce, and baby carrots (sorry, I forgot to take pictures), I cleaned up.


Photobucket

I had to take a picture of this because every 10-15 minutes all evening long, I saw this little face and heard a cute two-year-old voice asking, "Help, Mama, help me with Buzz's wing?"


Photobucket

At 6:30pm I brought the kids upstairs and helped them get ready for bed, which took almost 20 minutes (I've yet to figure out how to make these simple processes take less time!).


Photobucket

We came downstairs and read several books together. Then it was up to bed for 3 of them, where I read a couple Bible stories, we prayed together, and I turned out the lights. I returned downstairs to nurse Aubrey and get her down for the night, along with uploading all these photos. I just laid her in her crib. So now I'm going to do some exercise with a Weight Watchers' workout DVD my in-laws gave me for my birthday before I spend some time with a book to unwind for the night.


This seems like a whole lot of pictures and yet it still only manages to catch glimpses of our day. Looking over them all, I realize how rich with love and privileges I am.


19 comments:

  1. Wow Brietta!  All I can say is Whew, Whew, Whew.  I'm exhausted and you're the one doing all of the work.  I applaude you dear mommy and give you a hug for all that you are, all that you do and so much more.  Speaking as a grandmother, I thank you for taking such great care of these little children.  You are the apple of the Lord's eye!!!        Love & Blessings, Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2.  Brietta what a great blog. I love "a day in the life" blogs.  I posted some a while back. Your right in saying many pictures still don't capture all a mom does in a day. You are a great mom and I really enjoy seeing your life so honestly laid out for all us moms to read. Thank you.
    Chelle
    p.s. The best picture was the one with all of you squished together. Jackson's face made me laugh out loud. Too cute..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ChellePerez - That's my favorite, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful, Brietta!  I love it.  All the pictures make me miss you guys so much already.  You sure got a lot done in one day.  Great job!  You are such an encouragement to all us Moms out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you played along.  As you said, it looks rather familiar!  What a blessed mom you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun!  i'm trying to take pics as we go through our day today.  Maybe I'll post tomorrow.  oh and I love that to-do list you have, it looks so organized!  Care to share it with the rest of us organization-addicts? 

    ReplyDelete
  7. would you be interested in borrowing an apple peeler for your remaining apples?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohwow. that last picture. not only does it scream of a picture i would take, but suddenly i see the resemblance between us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I loved it!  I'd love to see you do this again!  I'd love to do it, but I have dial up!  Maybe I'll try it anyway.
    The Buzz thing makes me laugh.  We have the same Buzz Lightyear and I often am approached with the same request.  Why can't they make the wing stay on?  lol.  Can apples be frozen??  I am so clueless.  That's a great idea if they can.  We went apple picking a weekend ago and are going this coming weekend again. 
    P.S
    Congrats on the new nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @MrsRYoung - Yes, you can freeze apples!   I've done it for YEARS (first for Mom, then for myself).  What you do is prep the apples just like you would for actual baking-- peel, core, and slice thinly-- then pop them in a freezer bag in 6c amounts.  Then when you need apples throughout the following months, you just pull a bag out in the morning.  I always dump the frozen apples in a bowl with the sugar, flour, and spices first thing in the morning and let it defrost with all the flavors so that it's really wonderful tasting by the time you get it in the pie crust or pan (for apple crisp) later that day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I loved reading this post. After being home with Emarie, my eyes have really been opened to the hard work (but so rewarding too) that stay at home moms and wives do! I'm still learning how to get it all done and I only have one baby and an apartment! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brietta,
    You always have such pictures that are so full to the brim with life....but I've never seen one...ever...from anyone...that tops the picture with you and all of your kids....that picture speaks to the heart of all mothers, fathers, children and those everywhere inbetween...
    ....I know that it hushed my heart and then poured out love in unending amounts....
    Thank you for sharing the Love that He's put in your life...thank you.
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED this post!  Thank you so much for inviting us into your home.  Maybe one of these days I can muster up a similar post.  It was a fun read to brake up my day...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to you, Tim and I got all of our apples into the freezer yesterday! I had no idea until last week that you were able to freeze them. How nice for baking a yummy apple crisp!
    I LOVE LOVE the pic of all of you!!! I think you should frame it. It's just so awesome how happy each of you look! And Jack's face it priceless:)
    I liked seeing a day in your life...since I can't see it in person:( I guess the pics will have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a quick question:Was that a "sheet" that you fill out each day for what you want/need to get done?  I never thought of making something like that.  I have all kinds of lists, most are weekly ones that I try to stick to but if yours it what I think it is...I like it!  I might have to give it a try.  

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoy all of this stuff! It'll be over before you know it, and yes you will miss it. I never thought I would, I was wrong. Seasons of a woman's life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea with the apples...I make the apple crisp topping ahead and keep it in the freezer but I never thought I could prep the apples too.  Do you put lemon juice on them before freezing?  How long do they keep?

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Tracy - We never put lemon juice on-- just get them in the freezer and they won't really brown.  They keep several months.  Growing up, we always froze a bushel or two worth of apples and used them through the winter.  I think they were usually all gone by spring, so I don't know that we've tested them beyond the 6-month mark or so.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Much thanks to you for giving such significant data, and a debt of gratitude is for sharing this Business Promotion system.

    ReplyDelete