Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday morning reality


In the spirit of realism, I thought I should include these very current photos, taken only minutes ago:

Photobucket

The kids are watching a movie and it's only 10:30 in the morning!


Photobucket

It's 10:30 in the morning and my bed still isn't made!


Wednesdays are the toughest day of the week for me. Because Tuesday is Daniel's day off, Wednesday is to me what Monday is to the rest of the world. On this day each week, I'm coming off of a day of having my best friend around and am being reintroduced to the many responsibilities that lie squarely on my shoulders. Wednesdays are also hard because when Daniel leaves for the morning, I know I won't see him again until Thursday evening. (He gets home late Wednesday night and leaves by 5:30 Thursday morning; I'll admit publicly that I can't keep up with him without serious exhaustion issues on my part.)

Fortunately, I've realized this trend of Wednesdays being the hardest day for me and I've learned (albeit the hard way) to cut myself some slack. Instead of focusing on the things that aren't getting done, I try to think about what's been checked off my list so far. It's better for my frame of mind to do that than to rehearse all that's undone things. (So I won't elaborate beyond the picture of my bed!)

Honestly, I don't normally do the movie thing at this time of day (even on Wednesdays!) because this is usually when we'd be working on some sort of formal schooling. But I gave myself the day off. *gasp* It's the first day off we've had since we started, and I'm really fried. Not from the actual schooling requirements, but from the plethora of training that has to be tackled when we do school: "Please sit still," "Don't interrupt Mama," "Please answer the question," "Stop running," and "Don't pick your nose." It's all good character stuff and I'm grateful for the increased opportunities read-aloud and table-time has provided for it, but sometimes we just need a breather so we can regroup.

So that's my house right now. I'm nursing Aubrey and the kids are all quiet. It's peaceful. I'm encouraged, even just by my own ability to realize that stopping is indeed in the best interest of my family right now.


9 comments:

  1. All of those things are currently going on over here (subsitute movie for Sesame Street) except for the fact that you and your kids are dressed!  So kudos to you!  Ally has decided that she wants to wear nothing but her diaper and flip flops and that is what she's doing...for now. 
    Have a great Wednesday and rest in the fact there are lots of chores out there not getting done today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your day off.  I know I needed about 2 of those last week.  The first day I took off but against my will, the second day I woke up saying "it's going to be a relax day!"  This week we are much better for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently can't even walk through my room! It's a mess. Instead of unpacking and cleaning yet again today, I've called my sister instead, played trains with Asher, and just kinda relaxed. Glad I'm not the only one today!We've definitely gotten lots accomplished in the line of moving and unpacking but have really made an effort to not go overboard. We want to enjoy these first few days in our new home. The picture of our living room I posted on my xanga (the before one) was how we left it the first night we moved in. Gabe and I watched a movie instead. We were exhausted!I love your profile picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post!  Wednesdays are our crazy day too!  We got to our "mid-week" church service on Tuesday nights and on't get home until near 10 so the boys sleep in and everyone is little more tired.  Don't feel bad about the bed....it's 1:00 and I haven't even set foot in my room since I rolled out of bed and yes, the bed is wrecked.  Did I just admit this??? lol.  Keep up the good work er...resting.  It's so important to take time off when you need it.  We had last friday as our "day off."  We were bad and cuddled on the couch and watched Noah's Ark! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post! Seriously, Especially since yesterday was such a crazy day over here and I can relate, in that Lucas isn't home much. For Lucas, it's bc of school, work and the 2 criminal justice clubs he's in and all the events and such that they do. But, like you, as tiring as it gets, I still love being a wife and mama! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. love you bri. seriously. thanks for letting us have your best friend for one morning a week. he keeps us sane in our midweek slump =) plus it means we get to talk you every time you call!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won´t post pictures of my own home... I feel as though I´ve had to let go of so many expectations I had on myself at this point!  Be encouraged, you are doing an awesome job!  I still admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reality blogs. 
    But I love you more.  Just in case you were wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing web site good article.
    Great information. This works great for me. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete