Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Overdue Entry


Sunday's Snow Day launched me fully into a holiday mood. It was the second time in my life church was canceled, which for this grown-up homeschooler is as much of a Snow Day as I've ever gotten! Sitting around the family room at Mom and Dad's, singing all sorts of Advent and Christmas hymns, and then spending the whole day together was a great way to initiate the celebrations.

Then I baked quite a bit yesterday. Trays and trays of rum logs and Mexican wedding cakes and chocolate dipped butter cookies were produced and sent to Mom's for a party tomorrow night. It was very holiday-ish and fun, though I think I may be "baked out" now. Especially since I just look longingly at the yummy treats and can't savor even a bite.

I finally started wrapping presents yesterday. It has never taken me this long to begin doing so before! When Uncle Merrick was showing Gabriel the presents under his tree that were marked with his name, I realized with a pang how significant the slowly-growing mound of gifts was to me as a girl; and I felt very sad that my own children haven't seen a single present to look forward to! I wrapped one of the two gifts for each child from Daniel and I, the presents we purchased with a gift card sent from Daniel's grandparents in Texas, and then I even started wrapping gifts for other relatives. I haven't had time to look for pretty ribbon or little decorations for the presents this year, but the children seem just as pleased with the bright packages-- even if I did just use red yarn to tie them up.

This morning I did a very un-holiday-ish thing and went to see a dentist. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't done so since before getting married-- first because we didn't have insurance that covered such things and then because I felt too busy with other sorts of medical appointments. Fortunately for me, the scolding I received wasn't too severe, and I assume this is because I have yet to get my first cavity.

I must confess that even as I bustle about, making pots of hot chocolate for my delightful kiddos and lighting candles and listening to the best Christmas CD ever, there remains an underlying sadness in my heart. This season, when I have a hard time moving beyond what isn't right-- things like a beautiful baby born with congenital heart disease and a 31-year-old woman left a widow-- I am asking the Lord to teach me in a deeper way what His peace on earth is all about.

And I know He will.


Silent night, holy night,


Son of God, love's pure light


Radiant beams from thy holy face,


With the dawn of redeeming grace,


Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.


Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.



3 comments:

  1. Well, my presents are wrapped but I haven't baked a single thing!  I am going to the store soon--when Abram wakes--and am gettting all my supplies.  I am hoping to get it all done tomorrow and thursday; I'm running out of time!
    I hate going to the dentist.  I still don't have a cavity either and I am dredding the day I do!  I think I will ball like a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you said you are avoiding carbs but I just wanted to offer a plate of milk free cookies and chocolate if you're interested.  Tomorrow (Wednesday) I'll be in Madrid sometime in the morning, so I could drop them off.  Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making cookies you cannot eat?  I don't think I'd do it!  The agony!!  You are a good person

    ReplyDelete