Saturday, December 8, 2007

Mercy & Grace


I had a Bad Mama morning. I lost it with my kids. I was frustrated and angry and completely run down by them-- and, let me tell you, the climax wasn't pretty.

The terrible thing is that whenever I reach my breaking point, it's because I've been trying to take child-training shortcuts. Today I was reminded again that shortcuts just don't work. (Yes, Brietta, the cookies don't need to pulled from the oven more than Jackson's attitude needs to be nipped in the bud.)

But even more, I was reminded of how glad I am for mercy and grace.

I'm so deeply thankful for mercy that covers my blow-ups, bad attitudes, harsh words, and poor parenting. Christ's blood erases from the record books my wrongs.

But as if that's not enough, there is also grace to overcome, to walk away from the sin and wrong choices, and to change!

Last Sunday morning I was reminded through the sermon that the Christmas Story is incomplete without first recognizing our desperate need for a Savior who would clothe Himself with humanity and rescue us from our sin and depravity. And today the reminder is very near and offering a much-needed encouragement to a heart that would tend towards discouragement and hopelessness: this is why Jesus came. He didn't come for those who are well but for those who are sick, for the broken and needy. He came for a mom who yelled at her daughter, who has been shortsighted in her priorities, and who has held wrongs against her children instead of lavishing mercy as many times as is needed in any given hour.

He came to wipe away a bad morning and to offer strength to not repeat the error this afternoon.

This is what Christmas is. This is who Jesus is: mercy & grace.


2 comments:

  1.  Everday I am thankful for Jesus being both grace & mercy. Too often I have to repent to Marissa for losing my temper or lacking in some other motherly area. Your a good mom Brietta, thank you for the reminder that God's graces are new each day.....
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not...these are words of encouragement.  I have to pray everyday for patience and wisdom so that I don't allow frustration to take over when training my children....and even still, I break down - a lot more often then I'd like to admit.  Thank God Christ is so much bigger than us and has it all under control.  I'm am thankful that He is working on me in this area.
    I have not met you personally, however I do visit your site often and know others that know you - and I can tell you are a magnificent mother and wife.

    ReplyDelete