Saturday, December 1, 2007

Advent


This year I wanted to make a big deal of December 1st. I'm not sure if we'll continue this as a tradition or if it is simply something I need to do this time.

Yesterday I planned a favorite dinner and baked the first batch of Christmas cookies in preparation. This evening we will share a table lit by red and green and white candles. We will read the first of our Advent Calendar books. After the meal, I have gifts planned for the children: new holiday pajamas and two new books for the holiday season.

This night will be for my children the firstfruits of what is to come in 25 days when there will be a bigger meal, more candles, and lots of gifts.

And it will be for me a tangible reminder that what we have is only a taste of what's to come. After all, for believers, this traditional Advent season represents far more than a simple countdown to Christmas Day. We celebrate that He came and we celebrate that He's coming again.

I don't know when His second coming will be. I can't count down the same way I can count down to Christmas because I don't know if it will be 25 days or 25 years or 250 years. But I know He's coming. And I know that the celebration then will make the firstfruits we are experiencing pale in comparison.

For now, we see dimly. For now, we wrestle through tragedies, sickness, sorrows, and frailties. But then... then we will know Him fully. Our joy will be complete.

This Advent, I am counting down in a new way and with a deeper groaning; with a renewed and heightened anticipation; and with a gladder heart. If what He has given me now is simply the firstfuits, I can only imagine what that Day will be like!

6 comments:

  1. This year we are starting an advent celebration.  I have a book that is called Christ in Christmas.  It has songs and devotional reading for everyday.  I made an advent wreath and bought an advent calendar -a wooden one by Kurt Adler that is a magnetic nativity.  I am so excited to start this tradition.  I decided to give a present to the family every Sunday night after our bigger advent celebrations since Sunday is the day to light the candle(s) in our advent book.  It's so fun to celebrate Him, isn't it?  It's a great way to teach the children.  I hope yours is blessed.  I'm sure it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea!  I hadn't thought of doing Advent with our kids.  What a great way to keep reinforcing their focus on the real reason of Christmas as it's approaching.I'm very impressed that you're able to plan such special meals (with cookies to boot!) with such a young baby I'm just trying to remember where we put our star tree topper last year as it seems to have disappeared! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brietta :) What a marvelous idea in every way! Thanks so much for sharing it. Love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I saw your link on Lisa's site. : )  We too are putting together a simple advent wreath today with little votive candles.   We usually use Dr. Dobson's advent book for our devotionals.  : )
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete