Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Easiest & Yummiest Breakfast Casserole Ever

This is a favorite casserole around here. I like it because it whips up in a hurry, can be prepared the night beforehand, can have any variation of ingredients, and everybody likes it. Unlike many egg casseroles, it isn't bland, and the cottage cheese gives it a very light frittata-ish taste.

4 eggs, beaten
1/3c milk
1/4c all-purpose flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1/8tsp garlic powder*
10oz shredded cheese
1c. pepperoni, sausage, spinach, broccoli, ham, and/or whatever you feel like!
1c light cottage cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
2. Combine eggs, milk, flour, baking powder & garlic powder in medium bowl; beat until combined. Stir in 8oz shredded cheese, pepperoni/sausage/spinach/etc. & cottage cheese. Pour into greased 9-inch pie plate and sprinkle remaining shredded cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until golden and knife inserted into center comes out clean.
3. To serve, cut into wedges.

*You can add any variation of herbs & spices, too, of course!

Daniel made 2 mozzarella & pepperoni and 2 cheddar & spinach casseroles for Memorial Day breakfast with my family. Very, very good.

(Shhh, don't tell, but I have been known to make this for dinner on those less-than-routine days!)

9 comments:

  1. I'll vouch for this recipe!

    And I'm saving this to my online recipe box, to be pulled out for holiday breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just trying to think of something I could make for a bridal shower brunch I'm going to at church...this is perfect! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! That's sounds delish! I'll have to try that sometime.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a favorite of mine already. Definitely will revisit that recipe in the future! What a great light casserole it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum Yum. Perfect breakfast for my guests this weekend - Thanks!
    As for the 12th... lunch would be fantastic. I'm sure we won't be doing anything birthday-wise until R.Jay's out of work anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing it sounds really good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, no need to be hush-hush about making that yummy thing for dinner! Breakfast-for-dinner is a regular staple at our house!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some leftover ricotta cheese that isn't enough for lasagna....would I be able to substitute that for the cottage cheese do you think?  Or would that be wierd?  I just thought it sounded like a good use of it so I don't have to throw it out.  Your recipie does sound very good!

    ReplyDelete