Thursday, May 17, 2007

Fear & Love

I have a deathly fear of labor. If you've given birth before, you probably understand. For me, when I think about labor, I start to shake, my heart rate literally increases, and I want to cry. (You think I'm kidding, but my heart is throbbing even as I write this.)

The night in January -- you know, the night after I got the call from my doctor's office saying that the earlier blood test confirmed that, yes indeed, I was pregnant -- I didn't sleep much. Instead, I spent most of those 8 hours with my face buried in the pillow, hoping in a strange, delusional sort of way that it would keep me from hysterical tears and vomiting. It wasn't that I regretted, even for a second, a new life being added to our family. I was simply overwhelmed with wanting to run away from the impending event of labor while knowing that I cannot escape my own body. (This isn't rocket science, I know, but please have grace for my irrational thoughts and feelings.)

What can I say? I'm selfish. I don't like pain. I definitely don't like labor. I don't suppose I will ever really enjoy it. And I must confess harboring a secret hope through each pregnancy that Genesis 3:16 simply won't be true this time around.

The circumstances surrounding Jackson's birth knocked the stuffing out of me in many ways. His was my third labor and delivery. It was supposed to be better than before and go more smoothly than before. And it didn't. Not only was it far worse than L&D #2, it may have been worse than L&D #1. (My boys definitely rival one another for the Traumatize-My-Mom record.)

I won't re-live it all again -- most of you know the story anyway -- except to say that Jackson's birth was long (I'm not actually sure that word does justice, but I'll leave that to my readers to decide) and stressful. I was exhausted by the time I reached transition and, in case you didn't know, exhausted women don't handle body-racking contractions very well, especially when transition lasts upwards of 4 hours.

All that to say I am very clearly hearing the voice of the Lord on this issue of fear in the past few days. I am being reminded in a fresh way that He has redeemed me -- all of me -- so that as true as Genesis 3:16 is, so also is 1 Timothy 2:15. (And even if I'm still not sure what exactly 1 Timothy 2:15 means, the bottom line is that it's good news for me.)

You see, I've tried dealing with the fear and horror of labor a handful of different ways over the past several years. At times, I've resorted to deluding myself ("It's fun, Brietta!"). At other times, I've told myself that it's just part of life and that I need to "buck up" and get over it. At still other times, I've done prenatal exercises and stretched tirelessly with the hope that physical fitness will be my key to victory. And the thing I do most of the time? Well, I try to think about something else.

I don't know why I haven't looked at the bringing forth of new life as the spiritual event that it truly is. Maybe because it all seems so physical. I also don't know why, in the times when I am choked with tears because of the fear that grips me, I don't apply perfect love. Maybe because I have simply accepted the fear and the pain as part of an irreversible curse (you can scratch your head with me on that thought-process!). And I really don't know why I have already settled that delivering children will always be hard for me, instead of asking the Lord to deliver me. Maybe because I haven't yet truly understood that He pities me and remembers my frame.

Whatever the reasons, I have felt the gentle and comforting hand of the Lord upon me in the last week. I have felt the Holy Spirit's urging to pray, to ask, to believe, and to trust as I haven't in the past. I have felt a rebuke for, in my great arrogance and pride, assuming that He hasn't noted and doesn't plan on noting my struggles in this area. And I have felt a stirring to lean on Him, not because methods, ideas, and techniques are evil, but because they are simply that: methods, ideas, and techniques.

After all, in the end, I am His and it is He who holds me in the palm of His hands. It is He who redeems my life from destruction. It is He who walks with me through every circumstance of my days.

And it is He who is trustworthy.

Isaiah 40:1-2, 10-11, 27-31
"Comfort, yes, comfort My people!" Says your God. "Speak comfort to Jerusalem, and cry out to her, That her warfare is ended, That her iniquity is pardoned; For she has received from the Lord's hand Double for all her sins." ... Behold, the Lord God shall come with a strong hand, And His arm shall rule for Him; Behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him. He will feed His flock like a shepherd; He will gather the lambs with His arm, And carry them in His bosom, And gently lead those who are with young ... Why do you say, O Jacob, And speak, O Israel: "My way is hidden from the Lord, And my just claim is passed over by my God"? Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.


14 comments:

  1. For my first two labors, I was a "buck up and take it" kinda gal. Lael's delivery was long (only 34 hours, I know thats nothing ocmpared to yours )but not terrible. Alyssa's labor was even mildly enjoyable because of the lack of intervention and the shortness of it (17 hours). Lauren's labor was so terrible. Poor Heather had to witness it! It was so terrible I've not shared the details with many people. But I got through it, Josh got through it and of course we left the hospital with a healthy baby girl. I guess that's what I tried to focus on to get me through it.

    A long ramble just to say that I'll be praying for the Lord to bring you comfort in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I know what you mean. My mom always said that the reason you get so huge and uncomfortable before you have a baby is so that you stop dreading labor so much! I have never had great labors, but I've never had awful ones, either. I don't fear them, but I certainly don't look forward to them. During my first labor (also a homebirth) I remember regretting ever hoping that I would go into labor, and irrationally trying to make a deal with God to get me out of it quickly. In the end, I think labor makes us stronger. It is, in some odd way, good for our characters. Which is not always easy, but it's good in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to "re-read" this post... but my take is... the consequences of pain in childbirth are under the Law.... we have a Savior who came to "take" the reprecussions of the Law opon Himself....
    Of course... I LOVE to be pregnant and none of my labors would I consider hard... so I have a good track record.
    Start speaking some positive verses.... and ask the Lord to help you change your expectations.....
    Am I the only one who is going to say boy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I got pregnant (with either one) and since I've been pregnant the thought of labor has never really frigtened me (most likely because I have NO CLUE what I'm getting myeslf into). I have to say though, this post made me open my eyes a little. I'm not terrified - you didn't ruin anything for me , don't worry - I'm just ready to prepare myself more. To be honest... most days I tell myself I can't wait until that day my water breaks and we get this over with (and I'm not even 6 months yet). The pregnancy has been hard and hopefully thats made me a little stronger for whats to come. I'll let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.gracethrufaith.com/selah/tough-questions-answered/the-curse-of-eve-part-1
    Since you have some time on your hands to do some research... start reading all you can... find a site you can trust.
    Amanda was my worst labor and birth.... the 1st... and since I have come to really enjoy pregnancy and labor..... I have had many women giving guidance over the years.
    I like the above site and there is a part 2.... perhaps you will agree w/ their interpretation or it will set you on a course to study more.
    Praying for GRACE... and a new revelation of childbirth. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally there with you on the fear thing.

    I never thought childbirth would be the worst thing that I've ever experienced. (OF COURSE, Little Larry is the BEST.)

    Somehow, it's good to know I'm not the only one.

    Thanks for the verses. I think the most important thing, at least for me right now, is building up my faith. He IS trustworthy.

    "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock." Isaiah 26:3-4

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wrote a long comment, but Caedmon erased it, so I will just say that I know the feeling of fearing labor, though for some different reasons. I have decided that it is an opportunity to let God be strong in my weakness and that, somehow, God will work it for my good. And maybe having a girl will mean that this will be an easier labor for you ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, I tend to fear the unknown. When I went in to have Tim the nurses and Dr. lasry were like, "Are you in shock- or are you seriously this calm?" I confidently explained to them that the only reason they saw me panic (less than) one year before was that I hadn't known what to expect. Now I did. I was ALL SET! Then Molly- PIECE OF CAKE. Don't hate me but each contraction put me one more cm dilated- now that's what I call progress! Anyway, the way I see it- labor is the ultimate sacrafice. You get to be so much like Jesus during those moments (or days in your case). Motherhood calls for selflessness, but to labor and actual deliver a new precious life? When else are you ever going to be so much like Him? I have a great article I want to share with you along these lines. That is, if your're not too angry with me about those four hour labors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am pretty sure there was an article in one of the, or the most, recent Above Rubies where the gal talked about how she approached all her labors and, finally, the fourth one - when she had truly turned it over to God - was the best. Of course, I am very much paraphrasing but it is in there. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciated this post, Bri.

    Isn't it funny how the Christianity we know in our heads somehow never applies to our actual situations? Like, why does it take us so long to realize we could actually pray and believe for God to actually do something! Duh!!

    But He reminds us to ask, and then He answers us. What a nice sort of Dad He is. :)

    Even before knowing what labor is, I had a similar panic when I found out I was pregnant -- it was literally my instant reaction. I felt totally trapped. But the more I prayed and memorized verses for those nine months in an attempt to battle against fear, the more I realized what you said: this is a spiritual thing. The Lord has great interest in helping these children come forth, and in protecting us in the process. I was totally convinced, by the time my labor started, that I could experience a "God moment" -- even if it was only as profound as a dying woman screaming for help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you ever read or heard about drinking RASPBERRY LEAF tea to strengthen uterine muscles to make labor go faster? I used it along with castor oil to get my last labor started and my total labor was 6 hrs without ANY artificial painkillers!!! (He was born at home!) I know several people who've really loved the whole labor process after trying this. Of course, you need to get advice from your doctor about when's a safe time to start drinking it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My fear is a second C-Section.  I am totally praying that I get to go through all of labor and delivery with this baby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a "pray out loud" type of girl.  I will say prayers at dinner outloud but that is about it.  I am a private prayer.  That being said, I actually prayed out loud during labor.  I remember begging Jesus for mercy, literally.  I had an epidural for all of my transition and when I was dilated 10 cm, they turned the epidural off.  So, the first 45 mins of pushing were grand.  The other 2 hours and 15 mins were horrifying.  Just try not to think about it.  You are right, it is unavoidable so embrace the pain and horror!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, we've never met.......just another Mom in the xanga world. I'd found your site through a friend of mine who'd be inspired by something you'd writen and had a tab to your site. I enjoy reading about others with small children!

    ReplyDelete