Thursday, May 31, 2007

I am Small

Each day of late I read Isaiah 40. The words are becoming increasingly familiar and yet they remain endlessly profound. The question, To whom then will you liken God? penetrates my soul. And the answer resonates deep within me, bringing peace and hope and strength: Nobody, Lord, I confess. There is none like You.

These are the confessions of faith.

I find again and again that victory over fear and doubt has nothing to do with me and everything to do with God. When circumstances and uncertainties and perilous times overwhelm my heart, I can look to the Creator of the ends of the earth. He is in control.


Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, And marked off the heavens by the span, And calculated the dust of the earth by the measure, And weighed the mountains in a balance, And the hills in a pair of scales?

...Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been declared to you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is He who sits above the vault of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. He it is who reduces rulers to nothing, Who makes the judges of the earth meaningless. Scarcely have they been planted, Scarcely have they been sown, Scarcely has their stock taken root in the earth, But He merely blows on them, and they wither, And the storm carries them away like stubble.


"To whom then will you liken Me That I should be his equal?" says the Holy One. Lift up your eyes on high And see who has created these stars, The One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; Because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power Not one of them is missing.



How amazing it is to be counted as one of His.

5 comments:

  1. Be encouraged- not only can you be a testimony to people now as you live each day victoriously through this trial...but in years to come God will still glorify Himself through your faithfulness in this struggle...I know because...
    We were at a picnic this past Sunday and as one woman was asking me oodles of questions about Avery & Riley (she had heard years ago about their story) she asked this one question in particular, "Weren't you terrified and anxious?" Another woman who was listening in on the conversation who happens to know me well quickly spoke up and said, "No- she certainly was not! She and Eric both trusted God and had total peace through it all. I know because I watched them. They weren't even worried when they found out they were having the second set of twins!"
    See, none of these ladies claim to have Christ. Let's just say the door was wide open for me to share His goodness, His faithfulness and His truth. Wow. Four+ years later and look what He does. Once again- I'm stunned.
    I'm thankful you have the opportunity...even though it takes a lot of strength and sacrifice on your part now. He will show you time and time again that it's all worth it. And I know you know that. I'm just re-confirming. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They are so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my mom and dad left for Missa's house yesterday when she called to say that her water had broken. It does amaze me that both her and I seem to break our water before labor and at home. I'm on my way to her house soon. I'm taking Ada and Tim is going to stay here with Erin and Maygen. He'll be home at 6 so it worked out well. I'm not sure if I'll get there before or after the baby is born. I'm going to guess girl although most are saying boy. I'll update as soon as I can.
    How are you? You post was very encouraging and I second it!

    ReplyDelete