Friday, May 25, 2007

Summer Toys

My kids don't own many summer, outdoor toys. This is largely because there aren't any birthdays in our family that fall at a good time for giving such gifts. While I knew in January that Jackson would enjoy a sprinkler or sandbox come summer, it not only seemed kind of strange to give him that sort of gift while snow lay piled on the ground around us, it's simply downright inconvenient because stores don't sell sand shovels and beach balls the week after Christmas. Gabriel often bemoans the fact that he doesn't have a tricycle*, which he somehow got into his head that every little kid should own. Bronwyn thinks playing in the yard means pointing out weeds and "hurting leaves," while most children her age equate outdoor play with swings and slides. It's almost pathetic... but not quite.

Today, to compensate for the shortage of outdoor entertainment, we splurged and bought an almost-$8 kiddie pool. We also bit the bullet and purchased the air pump, figuring even Dave Ramsey and tightwads like me all agree that $4.50 is worth not having to blow that thing up by mouth. I'm now looking forward to our next batch of hot days and watching my kids splash about.

I've just got to find a bathing suit for Bronwyn first. (Did you guys know that our local JCPenney doesn't sell toddler-sized bathing suits? I mean, how ridiculous is that?!)

*Please note, lest you think me cruel: Daniel and I really do have every intention of buying our children tricycles and bicycles at some point in their lives. In the meantime, whenever we hear Gabriel rockin' out on his very cool drumset, we don't feel so badly about the rather Oliver-esque requests we hear upon each sighting of a child on a tricycle.

4 comments:

  1. Old Navy has some really cute swim suits. We purchased tankinis for our girls, from there. You could also try posting a want ad on freecycle, since a lot of people seem to be giving away clothes lately.
    I would love to purchase a kiddie pool but I think the kids can settle for running around the back yard this year (and maybe getting hosed, a little!) A lot of outdoor games/play areas are nice ideas but generally unnecessary. I don't mind a walk to the park/playground or a trip to the beach!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. Those poor deprived children of parents who read Dave Ramsey! Or don't and still are cheapskates!
    Send them my way and they can play in the playhouse (time for spring cleaning there and new curtains - maybe we can hit up Aunt Danica before she heads out of town!) Then they can scoot through the sprinkler -- if I can find it -- or play with squirt guns. That always works well! Plenty of time for that, I suppose, while Dad is away in China. We will keep them busy until he returns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny thinks Mara needs everything. She wants a purse...well lets buy her one. She wants a pool....then buy her one! I love his enthusiasm, but I am always reminding him of the pocket book. We do slip in a few things for her though. The joys of only one child, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would gladly sew up a modest swimsuit for Bronwyn.  Just mail me 2 yards of your favorite lycra and I'll mail back a cute bathing suit that won't allow much for sunburn. Here's the suit pattern I have: www.modest-swimwear.net

    ReplyDelete