Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Happenings:

It's been a rather busy weekend due to the local summer festival and lots of outreaches centered at 57 Market. This, of course, took up a lot of time this week for Daniel, but Gabriel-boy also had the opportunity to participate in a portion of the events this weekend. Here he is dressed up as a very cute looking sheep:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And here he is in action, following Jesse away from David's pasture:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Between some of today's activities, there was a chance to watch a rather boring parade. (Well, I thought it was boring; Jackson loved the bazillion fire trucks that went by.) Here are Daniel and the kids standing on the porch of 57 Market:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(As you can see, Gabriel traded in his sheep face for a cat face after the performance.)

In other news:

1. Bronwyn is continuing to make good (albeit slow!) progress with potty training, which I'm sure you've all been dying to know. She's pretty bad about prompting herself, but will generally comply when told to use the bathroom. Her one and only accident today took place while watching the parade-- and I'll take responsibility for that one since even I was too distracted to give reminders. And she's staying dry during naps and the night!

2. Jackson's vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds everyday! My favorite thing he "says" isn't really a word at all, but his imitation of a cat meowing. Too cute!!

3. I am 29 weeks pregnant and am suddenly realizing that I'm into the 3rd trimester! Wow-- when did that happen?!?! Someone recently asked me if I've started getting things ready for the baby's arrival. I guess technically I have since the crib is out (and in use by Jackson), the highchair is out (and in use by Jackson), the pack 'n play is handy (and used by Jackson), etc. The only things not ready are clothing and carseat and since it only takes an hour or two to do a load of baby laundry and pull the infant carseat out of storage, I don't typically bother with those things until I reach 40 weeks.

Here is a belly picture from today (it's becoming increasingly humiliating to post these pictures, but I do it knowing how much I like it when others do the same...), and when it is contrasted with the picture from 1.5 weeks ago, I think it reinforces my theory that the baby moved to a head-down position a couple days ago:

29w  &  27w4d
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket         Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(Yes, that is my belly button poking out, now thoroughly transitioned from an "inny" to an "outy")


The Musings:

One thing I simply have to comment on in regards to the weekend outreach activities is my appreciation for the couple who headed up the children's programs at 2pm & 3pm yesterday and today. They did such a great job with planning and preparing, involving a number of children, and then presenting skits and songs and games. I sat there knowing firsthand just how tired their 3 young children were (like Daniel and I, they will celebrate 6 years of marriage this October and are expecting #4 this year) and exactly how many hours of their weekend were spent on these events, and I was very challenged by their sacrifice.

To be brutally honest, if someone like Daniel had asked me to oversee such programs, my first response would have been, "2 and 3pm? Are you crazy??? Don't you know that's my kids' naptime? Sorry, buddy." And even if I'd gotten past that point, I doubt I would have found a way to write skits and stories, prepare children for acting and costumes for children, thought through games and prizes, etc. But that was not their response.

Not at all.

They responded with enthusiasm and energy and then they went above and beyond what Daniel had asked for. And even in moments like when their not-yet-2-year-old was crying because of spent emotions and too little sleep, there were still smiles on their faces and expectation of good in their words.

It reminded me of a very wise man's challenge to Daniel a couple years ago: "How are you doing with leading your family in sacrifice?" I remember when Daniel shared that question with me, struck by the word in when I might have inappropriately chosen the word through. I was challenged because he was right and I was wrong. After all, the call to discipleship doesn't ask us to simply cheerfully endure the sacrifices (even this is often challenging for me, I confess), but to go so far as to look for opportunities to die to self.

I tend to be so over-protective of our family boundaries and I'm often afraid and hesitant to place demands on Gabriel, Bronwyn, and Jackson for the sake of local church and Kingdom work; and yet I simultaneously want my children to grow up with a willingness and eagerness to give of themselves. If my example to them is one of self-preservation-- even in the name of family-- how can I expect them to serve beyond what comes easily and pleasantly to their flesh? And who better to teach and lead them in sacrifice than their very own mom and dad?

At any rate, I applaud this family for their tireless work over the weekend. Not only were many small children blessed by their efforts, but this wife and mom was convicted and refreshed in a vision to sacrifice as a family-- gladly and cheerfully!-- for the Lord and His bride.

On that note, I'm going to get to ironing clothes for the morning. After all, I'm not quite ready to tackle planning children's programs for a weekend of outreach, but I think I can manage getting the family to church in time for Sunday School.


10 comments:

  1. Yes, I was just thinking that! (about the fridge, I mean... Grocery shopping, mail pickup , and some laundry will need to be done almost immediately, but I've got to stop thinking about it or this won't be much of a vacation!)

    Funny thing though, I'm actually looking forward to cooking on vacation. (We're taking turns.) I don't know if it's the appreciation of my enormous family+ Pam and my Grandma that makes the difference?

    Ooh... those sheep pictures will be even more enjoyable one day not so long from now than they are now! =)

    I too often struggle over the home life/ministry dilemma. I swing wildly between wanting to dive into ministry head first and wanting to quit all of it and just stay home. Period.

    As you've noted, I think perhaps there is a balance to be found there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. your recent pic definitely looks smaller than the earlier one! nothing to be humiliated about, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely see the difference in the pics!

    We were blessed by all the fun and learning at 57 Market. I loved that time machine and watching as the kids relayed correct answers back to the questions on the good Samaritan story and questions of morals. I saw a lot of 'lights going on' and happy faces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so now I've figured out the user-name thing. whew!

    loved this post, as I told you earlier in church.
    and now the cyber-world knows too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's the cutest sheep i've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been dying to hear about the potty training...I want to write something on that soon too...She might be like Alan was...you might not want to hear this, he had accidents at least once a week for a year.  Even after that up till maybe a year or two ago, when he has to go he runs to the bathroom!  Matthew was the "perfect" one, but he didn't start till 3 1/2 and perfection has it's own consequences with temperament that I've had to deal with...Joy is like you said with Bronwyn, she doesn't come up with it on her own but will go when I ask her to.  Not so good for me because I forget!  But I'll put more on my website when I get a chance. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. And about the new baby, that's amazing.  By all "real world" estimates this pregnancy shouldn't have gone like it has, God is really great.  He's great when things don't turn out our way too, but it's more encouraging when they do! I hope to see you when you come out this August! 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just visited your site and love your comments regarding sacrafice.  That's really something I should think about more.  Not that I want to count each sacrafice we make as a family, but I too would have been thinking what you said you were thinking...."Are you crazy....how do I do that with an active 2 year old who needs a nap".  However, you are right, I should look for opportunities to die to self.  Thanks
    By the way, your kids are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful/cute pics. it is so GREAT to hear you are doing better. i always love hearing of you and seeing you and your family. i often don't do things during my kids' naptime as it can make for a miserable day otherwise. i would've said no myself, i think. yea for Bronwyn! 

    ReplyDelete
  10. I applaud this couple and family too!!  I witnessed the mother bringing the props back to church on Monday night after the Fire Up Club meeting.  She informed me that she was going to be there awhile since she had to put the props way and she didn't want me to set the alarm as I left the building.

    ReplyDelete