Monday, January 29, 2007

To Everything There is a Season

I wonder how this can both relieve and frighten me at the same time.

These last few days, as I have cleaned up vomit, changed awful diapers, coaxed little ones back to sleep, nursed the baby through excruciating pain, and washed bedding again and again and again, I have looked beyond today's present exhaustion and found consolation in the knowledge that this will not last forever...

...All the while, heart-broken because I know that I will not always be the one to lay a cool hand on the fevered brows, to hold her close when she cries in misery, to help distract from discomfort with books and songs and conversation. I am equally undone by the reality that this will not last forever.

These little bodies who get into mischief, cause me endless work, rarely give a moment's peace, and ask for my undivided attention are daily growing. And before I know it, they won't be coloring on the walls, dirtying countless diapers, singing and talking at the top of their lungs every waking moment, or begging me to play with them "just a few more minutes."

I try not to borrow sorrow; today has enough. Yet in my mind's eye I see down the road 10... then 20 years, and the tears that inevitably well in my eyes are good for me to feel running hot down my cheeks. They tell me that I ought not take this moment for granted. They tell me to love the season I'm in. They tell me that this day I'm living is worth living with every ounce of my being.

To everything there is a season.

I've no doubt the next season will be wonderful. I know God and I know that His promise is that the path of the just onlys grow brighter and brighter. But I've also no doubt that I only get this season I'm living once.

I don't want to just love it when I'm looking back on it, you know?

I want to love it today--runny noses, crying, cleaning, and all.

8 comments:

  1. Oh how true Brietta....  How true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. needed that one today and have not relished this day, but rather wished naptime to approach quickly and wish the baby would just show up. your post brought tears to my eyes and I was already on the verge anyway. i try to tell myself these things when i don't want to play with them (and i have not played today) but it is so difficult when i am overrwhelmed and exhausted. i think i handle it better whne they are not feeling well, but today is yet a difficult day...one of those heart sick days. many props to you! hugs too... thanks again. you're a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inspired, i don't know how you've done it! I really hope that everybody gets better quickly- so that you can get some rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brietta,
    That is so awesome and true. I feel that too. When I am yelling at Hayla because she wont clean up the cheerios or is doing something I wish she wouldn't, one day that is what I will miss most about her. I will have not gotten enough of those times. It is sad to think our babies will not always be babies and that they will be just like us and get married and lead their own lives. Sometimes I think how my parents must have felt, loosing 3 girls just in 2 summers. How crazy that must have been. And now we are all moved away with our own families. I pray our children will have compassion on us.

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  5. The onion was amazing...if an onion can be amazing!!  We ate the whole thing and I must admit that I had a bit more than 50% of it.  That didn't stop me from eating almost all of my "main dish" either!  I figure if I'm going to spend the money, or someone else's for that matter, I may as well eat as much as I can.  That's not to say I didn't pay for it later that night!  But it only happens once in a blue moon, so I'm ok with that!!
    I hope you are ALL feeling better up there.  Just this past week I had to clean up Ally's throw-up and I thought it was really bad, I can't imagine how bad it must be when they are older!
    In regards to a previous comment, I have no freah inspiration for a first birthday gift for Ally.  It seems overwhelming to come up with something.  I feel like it needs to be unique and special.  All the while, I know she needs practical things such as a bathing suit for the beach and sandals and so forth.  Any ideas are more than welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I would have to say that I too wish that we lived closer:) I've always felt disappointed I never really got to be one of your close friends:) But life just had other plans I guess! Maybe we'll see you at a BASIC conference or something some day. It's so fun to see pictures of your kids & family:) I still have a picture of me holding Gabriel when he was a baby & there are drool spots all over my T-shirt, haha! I often think it would be fun to see you all again & catch up on life:) I have truly been blessed to have shared even a short portion of my life with you & Abby & Stacie, etc.:)

    Sincerely,
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete