Monday, January 22, 2007

The battle with thrush is not a new one around here.

The battle with thrush with this insurance is new, however. And finding out that I need a pre-authorized number from the insurance company before I can get a prescription for this is just plain old annoying. I mean, when you're cracking and bleeding and have frustrated your entire family's schedule with an unplanned trip to the doctor and a 30-minute wait at the drugstore, you don't want to find out that it could be another week before getting the medicine needed to end the agony.

Ugh.

* * * * *

Yesterday as I munched on some banana bread thoughtfully given to us by her, today as I toasted bagels leftover from our monthly Bagel Sunday at church, and later when the kids were playing with some activity toys passed along by her, I thought about how wonderful it is to be in the family of God. If you're blessed like me, your local place of worship is the kind of place full of the kind of people that never let you feel isolated and alone for too long--and that's a really, really good thing.

* * * * *

Thoughts about kitchen renovations are whirling in my mind. I have no idea what the price tags associated with such thoughts actually are, but I'm happier not knowing: this way I can dream to my heart's content without yet being disappointed.

And if you're like me, you agree that the dreaming is half the fun, anyway.

* * * * *

Sometimes I really do wish that chocolate and ice cream were two of the main food groups.

(You think I'm joking...)

* * * * *

I have a long list of things still to do today. The things I'm choosing to focus on are what I've done--phone calls/e-mails made/sent, laundry caught up, the kitchen thoroughly cleaned after a busy weekend, and the house generally tidied--and the fact that Mondays are the day Daniel is gone until long after the kids (and sometimes I) go to bed, so I don't have to set aside time for lengthy meal prep (my kids actually prefer PB&J, which is fine with me as long as I don't consider the implications on my cooking), freeing up the evening for completing yet undone chores.

What is my motivation in plowing through the unfun necessaries, like cleaning bathrooms and bathing children, you ask? Two new photo albums ready to receive the backlogged photos of our growing and ever-changing family. There are at least 10 developed rolls on a shelf upstairs (the last pictures that made it into an album are from shortly after Bronwyn's birth) and I am eagerly anticipating getting them cataloged for frequent viewing!

* * * * *

On Saturday, Gabriel asked Daniel why we didn't wait to have our wedding when he could attend.

Made me think of one of my all-time favorite quotes: "Mom, you've been married longer than I've been alive!?!"

7 comments:

  1. In September, Dan and I were watching our wedding video (during nap time) to celebrate our 6 years together. Will wandered out 1/2 way through and wondered (like he'd really been left out of the fun), "hey guys, why wasn't I there??"

    And, I'm totally with you on the food groups. No joke.

    Oh, and, at least your photo project sounds manageable! I did an elaborate 1st year scrapbook for Will, and have Hallie's done to about 4 mos. Making progress now on hers (or Tristan's, or any new photos of Will, for that matter) seems close to impossible... maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gentian violet is an herbal remedy for thrush... no prescriptian needed... it really works... i used it when i didn't want to go to the doctor for the yellow stuff (forget what it's called now) ... it's bright purple, though and it stains...
    hopefully this helps you, and hopefully it's available in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug has turned into this coconut oil guru....but it and other things he's taking is really helping him a lot, with energy and losing weight.  http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm  This is where he has bought some stuff from.  It says it also helps with yeast and thrush, and since you get it so much, I would strongly suggest trying it...you eat it and can rub it on yourself.  His skin is noticably softer, he actually eats a tablespoon a day.  I've used it in cooking a little bit.  Here's something else that says about what it does --
    http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/ (tells about thrush too, but I copied this part because this was my worry)
    Once mistakenly believed to be unhealthy because of its high saturated fat content, it is now known that the fat in coconut oil is a unique and different from most all other fats and possesses many health giving properties. It is now gaining long overdue recognition as a nutritious health food.

    It seems pretty cool and I think God really led him to this, he definately does. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brietta. I actually said the same thing to my mom several years ago - except for a slight twist. I think my mom turned 43 or so and, since she got married when she was 20, what I MEANT to say was, "Mom! You've been married for longer than you've been single!" But what came out of my mouth was, "Mom! You've been married for longer than you've been alive!" haha

    Anyhow, I've had a lot of thrush problems as well, and since I really don't respond well to taking antifungal medication, here are some of the ways that I've dealt with it:
    (Diflucan gives me too high of a bacterial count - then I tend to get a bacterial infection.)

    Take a ton of acidophilus capsules - 2 capsules 3-4x a day
    Put cider vinegar on your nipples. :) Yes, it really does kill off the thrush
    Put a little acidophilus onto the nursing babe's tongue, or if he eats food, sprinkle it into his applesauce, or such.
    Find coconut oil and lather it on mom and in baby's mouth (I get it in the organic section of our local grocery store. It's GREAT)

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - I just read your other comments and noticed that someone else plugged coconut oil as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, props to the coconut oil. :) yeah...sleep. i do get that when i have a chance, but sometimes it is hard when you have the urge to just get things done. however, i do know that for sure the house will be undone for quite sometime after the baby arrives and if you saw my house you prob would wonder if i ever clean. i'm not even sure i really do. i know i very rarely give my kitchen floor a good scrubbing these days. vacuum, yes, but scrub? well... anyway. sorry about the thrush and stuff. thank you Lord for speedy healing.  

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there. Sorry I missed your call today but I had a doc apt and then Maygen had a kidney follow up at children's. So we're just getting home now. The phone message cut out so I only got half of your message but the post filled the rest in! I used gentian violet after every nursing. I only used it in Erin's mouth though so as to avoid a really big mess. It depends on the severity of the thrush. It worked for us to just use it on Erin but I know often times it takes using it on mom too. I'll try and call later today or tomorrow. I hope you feeling"ok". Love you.

    ReplyDelete