Wednesday, January 3, 2007

I pull the blankets up about their little bodies. I stroke soft cheeks and lean near for one last squeeze.

Today, January 3, 2006, has been lived in the lifebooks of my children. Completed. Now it is their portion to rest.

As the year 2007 is ushered in, I struggle to greet it with joy. I feel tired. My soul is weary. The striving that seems to mark so much of life just doesn't feel worth the victories that seem to come too few and far between.

But it is not yet my portion to rest.

One day, I'll see Him face to face. The struggles and strife and striving will be left behind.

But not for now.

For now, I must live. I must serve and I must give. I must war and I must reach out. I must sweat and I must weep. I must care and I must rejoice. I must.

To complete my days. To honor my God. To see His love realized.

And then I will rest.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Brietta. I've been reading your posts on and off for a couple of months now - I look at my sister Sarah (Ovaska)'s page and then click on her link to Liz Daby's page and then to yours. I have three little boys - 4, 2 and almost 5 months. So I can relate to a lot of your mothering thoughts. And I can relate to todays, so I thought I'd finally comment! Remember Galatians 6:9
    And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    -Carole McNamara www.thoughts-of-home.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read my mind...my thoughts exactly. Thanks for the encouragement to keep moving forward...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops. I'm on my sister's computer. The above comment is from me- kathy m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brietta,
    My new year's prayer for me and my family is that we will not get caught up in the busy doing but just be. We need to learn how to just recieve from the Lord. I pray you can let go of some of the busy and just recieve. Sometimes I think we forget that doing the laundry and putting together a puzzle is just as rewarding as handing out a stack of tracts.
    I do feel for you and your kitchen. I am going to love my new kitchen. I am tired of having a small area and the weirdest cupboards. How do cook for your family and have a good attitude when things fall on you or you constantly tell someone else to please move again out of your way?! I love the new shelf, so cool.
    Enjoy your wonderful children today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, that's so funny that it happened to Carina too:) I think you're right...definitely a conspiracy. It's a good thing I was able to laugh about it & not cry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6 yrs on the sixth...definitely cool! way to go. :)  that anticipation can kill you...in a good way of coourse. I suppose that's why (one of the reasons) we don't find out the gender. it makes the end so much more exciting and all that work worth it. you look fwd to each moment the closer the time comes. i can understand though in some ways you wanting to put it off. i don't think i would anticipate 30 plus hrs of labor myself. that is definitely hard work. hoping this baby wants to come during the day so I can labor in the day and not in the wee hrs of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow i understand were your coming from. no matter how hard things get its not my time to rest or to hand something over. its time to really press in and give my all and it should and will be that why until i die!

    ReplyDelete