Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Yesterday, Bronwyn had a mild fever that accompanied a nasty cough and struggling voicebox. All she wanted the whole day long was to sit with Mama or Daddy and 'nuggle.

Today, Bronwyn is feeling a bit more herself, but her big brother is suffering. All he wants is to do is watch Louissa's Keith Urban DVD.

Huh.

* * * * *

First thing Monday morning Daniel and I headed--Jackson in tow--to Syracuse for a day of belated anniversary celebration (Our 2-hour dinner on the actual day was very nice but seemed hardly enough to mark 5 whole years, which must be significant in at least one or two national statistics), as well as tackle some early Christmas shopping. When one lives this far from stores, one must take advantage of every opportunity to do some purchasing! This is okay with me, since I much prefer getting my Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving and the "holiday rush." (Trust me: I'm a much nicer person if I don't feel like I have to do everything in a couple short weeks.)

We had a really fun day, including stops at TJ Maxx, Target, Marshall's MegaStore, Toys 'R Us, and the Carousel Center Shopping Mall. Oh yeah, we also hit up Panera Breads for bagels (Boy, do I miss those asiago cheese bagels!) at lunchtime, and then we stopped at The Olive Garden for a 9pm dinner before making the 2.5 hour drive home. The shopping is my favorite part; the eating is Daniel's!

* * * * *

Now that we've entered the colder season, our laundry piles have grown. At the end of the day, we have a whole lot more getting tossed in the hamper than a pair of shorts and a T-shirt, like in the summer months. Undershirts, socks, pants, shirt, and sweatshirt... Well, the laundry demands have grown. My 4x/week laundry schedule is no longer sufficient to the task.

Bummer.

* * * * *

Last Friday found me helping Mom with auditions for the spring musical CFA will be putting on. Many nights since then have found me with class and cast lists in hand, mulling over the many talented students and the plentiful opportunities in the musical. This type of task appeals to me on many levels: I love theater and music, and I love  a good puzzle!

(Oh, and for the many who have asked what exactly I'm doing on Friday mornings: I am helping with 2nd and 4th grade art classes this semester.)

* * * * *

But as for me, the nearness of God is my good.

In every moment--the glorious and the ugly--I want Him and only Him to be my source, my joy, my peace, my sufficiency, my consolation. Nothing else. This heart of flesh wants to be dictated by circumstances, disappointments, personal successes and failures, and stages of life; this daughter of God wants to be satisfied in His presence.

It is good.

4 comments:

  1. Asiago Cheese Bagels from Panera are the best!  Oh yum.  Sounds like you had fun shopping. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. hold on.

    you, brietta ann paladin, are teaching an art class?! miss "i'll never do anything that has to do with art"?!

    i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to get as much Christmas shopping done before Dec also. I already have a few things purchased! (Woohoo for the Dave Ramsey plan for a xmas fund that runs ALL year!)
    I'm sorry Bronwyn and Gabriel aren't feeling well. Very hard. Maygen is teething. Sleepless nights to say the least. Today she is feeling a bit better though. Her first tooth at "7 months" corrected age. (She's really on schedule with Erin who also got her first tooth at 7 months).
    I hope you and Daniel enjoyed your anniversary! Olive Garden!?!??! One of my favorites:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure I can share our boy name: Owen Michael which means "Young warrior who is like God".
    I also like to start early so I can "search" out the good deals. Plus then I have less anxiety in December. I can enjoy wrapping, decorating and baking all the more.
    Miss you too!!!

    ReplyDelete