Wednesday, October 4, 2006

A little over an hour ago, I was headed out the door to the monthly prayer and praise meeting at the church. Instead of the anticipated return home trip at around 8:30pm, I am already back in my living room. The kids are watching Little People before an early bedtime and I am wondering why I bothered trying in the first place.

Yup. You guessed it. My kids didn't make it through the brief sound check/worship practice before I was thoroughly convinced that what we needed was certainly not an all-out battle of wills, which the meeting was almost surely bound to become. Rather than struggling through the entire evening when I'm already tired, I decided a bad attitude was creeping on way too fast and that the quickest way to nip it in the bud was to come home.

I love worshipping with others. I love gathering with the body of Christ. One of the most difficult things for me to give up as a mom isn't my free time, late nights, naps, etc. Far more difficult for me is the relinquishing of frequent and lengthy times shared with my family in the Lord, whether the meetings be at the church or a home or somewhere altogether remote.

Oh, I will never give up trying to make it to every meeting I possibly can, especially since gathering with the brethren is commanded, but sometimes I realize that this is yet one more way my flesh needs to die... my desires need to be put to death... my own hopes and expectations need to be replaced. When the baby is sick, when the toddler is acting up, when the basic disciplines have been ignored: these are the times that what would be more enjoyable for me--more pleasant and immediately rewarding--must be disregarded so that I can make the sacrifice set before me.

I guess what I am getting at is the fact that while my selfish desires and impulses and my bad attitudes might center around things that are not wrong, I am still wrong. And, dear me, it is embarrassing to realize.

7 comments:

  1. You didn't get to go, either? That makes two of us with disappointed hopes... Maybe next time? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I really miss you! I would so love to take a trip to visit you guys... Maybe I can catch the next traveling group of people? lol... Sounds like your all doing well (from Matt and Sarah) and can't wait to see you again! Love you: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think the kids in pjs was a great idea. Oh, and- I didn't stall OR smash your van...it was a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my Xanga site. Feel free to stop by anytime and leave a comment if you wish.

    Those years of motherhood when the children are small can be quite a challenge. I can really relate, having had 4 children in 7 years while living away from family. I got very little time away. (We do live near family now that the children are older. )

    I too love to sing and be involved in worship ministry too. There were a number of years when the children were small that I had to give it up. I am on the other side now with children ranging in age from 11 to 19. We are home educating the 6th to 12th grade girls and our son is in his 2nd year of Bible college.

    Are the sacrifices worth it? Absolutely!!! Our children are growing into young people who passionately love and serve the Lord. JP is in school to go into the ministry and our girls are looking forward to a life of service to Him by preparing to be the wives and mothers that God is calling them to be someday.

    Keep on running the race and when you reach the finish line, you will be so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy Campbell spent a lot of time giving women "permission" to stay in the home.  And one thing she highlighted was extra-curricular activities, even church services!  The quote that stuck in my mind was this:
    "Sometimes something GOOD is the enemy of the BEST."
    Going to a monthly worship and prayer meeting is definitely a GOOD thing!  But as you already realized, it wasn't the BEST at the moment for your family.  God bless you Brietta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to missing out.  We could always get together and have our own prayer meeting! (of course it would only be interupted about 8,000 times... but that's life, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I saw you in the van next to me when we drove in. Now I know I wasn't seeing things!

    ReplyDelete