Monday, October 9, 2006

There a couple big bulges along the ridge of Jackson's top gum. Along with them comes a low-grade fever (worse overnight, of course), poor sleeping, lots of fussing, continual nursing, and a tired mommy. Yesterday morning at church I wasn't quite sure why he looked so bleary-eyed, or why I kept feeling that he had a slight temperature when there were no other indications of being sick, or why he just cried instead of sleeping, but Mom called it right after holding him for a few minutes over lunch. A daring exposure of my finger to his two sharp bottom teeth confirmed that teething is Jack's ailment.

So this morning rolled around and I wasn't too eager to greet the day.

Let me be brutally honest: I'm never eager to greet the day.

However, the Lord has been convicting me about my attitude at the start of each new morning. In His Word He promises new mercies in the morning; He commands His lovingkindness in the daytime; He says His joy comes in the morning. And my part is to sing, declare, bless, and pray in the morning.

Here is me: I have a fussy baby who has finally drifted to sleep but too late for this mother to rest, too, since now the older kids are awake. I have a mountain of laundry (conquered just a few days ago, but re-grown that quickly) awaiting my diligence, bickering to end, little hands to occupy, carpets to be vacuumed, floors to be mopped, beds to be made. There is no telling if all these tasks will take as long as getting breakfast and cleaning up from breakfast took because of my teething infant.

Yet.

I.will.bless.the.Lord.

And in so doing, I am already finding that His joy, His hope, His peace, His presence is my strength. Where there is no vision the people perish. Oh! Let Him be my vision, today!

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me Save that Thou art
Thou my best thought, by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I don't know how you juggle it all!

    Second, sounds like you're on the same page I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woa, that was weird.  I just finished posting for Monday and said the same thing: without a vision the people perish.  Is the Lord trying to get at us or what!!!?  As I read your post I was reminded of something Nancy touched upon last weekend.  That everything we do, even the mundane, is sacred.  On earth, so in heaven.  She has scripture verses regarding the pots in the tabernacle being sacred as well as the pots in the house, or something along those lines.  Can't remember.  But it helps when I start to gripe about the endless list of chores that seem so pointless and ongoing.  At least I know I'm still serving God, even when I scrape a dirty pan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. days are way easier to start if there's dark chocolate next to the bed in the morning...

    seriously, it's better than mouthwash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to rsvp about Danica's shower.  I will be coming.  Baby showers are such fun.  I love all of the cute little things.  Oh, are you going to bring Bronwyn to the shower?  Talk to you soon.
    Abby

    ReplyDelete