Tuesday, October 3, 2006

News::

::We spent the weekend with dear friends from Pittsburgh. It was so wonderful to have them! Late nights with Mexican Train, lots of food, visiting with some others, Sergi's, etc., made for a very fun several days. It's so priceless to have kindred spirits with whom distance and time can't quench friendship.

(Unfortunately for our guests, my little girl gave their baby girl a bit of a cold. I'm hoping that since Bronwyn seems 100% now that Ally is or will be feeling better soon.)

::Jackson slept until 6am without waking once to eat the last two nights. The price for such good sleeping has been high: no more than a couple cat-naps throughout the day. I'm okay with this pattern for now, as I'm pretty worn out from months and months of multiple wakings per night, but I don't think it is a long-term solution, since it means there is little time for focused cleaning and absolutely no good time for the older kids to play with toys that little fingers and mouths shouldn't be near.

::I read the first book in the Abram's Daughters Series. It was recommended by many of the same people who enjoyed the Mitford Books. Since I began a new naptime and bedtime routine of sitting in the rocker reading until all three children fall asleep this past summer, I've been getting a lot of reading done (a lot might be an understatement). My head is beginning to swim as I plow through books like Shepherding A Child's Heart, The Cost of Discipleship, Building Community, Shame Off You, etc., and I thought some pleasure reading might be a nice change of pace. Unfortunately, our local library doesn't have the rest of the books and I think I've been successfully hooked. Bummer.

::We think a small animal died in the attic, basement, or walls of the unfinished room off the kitchen. The stench in our laundry room reached its climax yesterday and was awful. I couldn't bring myself to do laundry because it meant opening the door. Daniel has not been able to find this animal and is guessing it built a nest in the insulation. So incredibly gross.

::I made it to LIFE Group for the first time this semester on Sunday night. It was so good! I love worshipping with the students. They have such life. I found myself praying that wisdom will only be added to passion and zeal, and that passion and zeal will never be replaced, in my own life as well as in theirs.

::The challenges I thought I encountered with my children as infants and small toddlers is being entirely eclipsed by the attitudes and demands I am now confronted with. More often than not, I reach the end of the day (and sometimes the beginning) as a very, very tired Mommy. My appreciation and admiration for parents who have knowingly repeated these years grows with every day. I daily wonder if I have faith to make the investment I've seen others make.

::On Friday I will get back in the swing of Friday Program for the first time in six years. I'm very much looking forward to getting involved in this area of service; it works well for me that this is one ministry that provides childcare!

That's all for now.

9 comments:

  1. Just a quick "books" comment/hint...  If there is a book you want and dont see it on your library shelves, they can request it for you.  I confess to being a bit hooked on pleasure reading and am currently reading all of Karen Kingsbury's books.  Since our library has almost none of them, I request them in from surrounding ones.  (Saves buying them too!)  PS: I too, have had to limit my "pleasure reading" to only naptimes and after my Bible time at night -otherwise, I wont get anything done the entire day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost 5 years. Can you believe it?!!

    I didn't realize you're doing friday school -- what are you teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also reading Shepherding a Child's Heart and The Cost of Discipleship. I read the latter once before, but I think I read it too quickly, because it is all sounding new to me now :)...hopefully I can take more time with it this time. And I am totally with you on the challenges of motherhood...Matthew chapter 6 has new meaning for me since I became a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, i'm with d -- what are you teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like everyone had a wonderful weekend! See you at Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some of the books in that series...did you only read the first book in that series? I think I have the next 3...just let me know if you want to borrow them or if you've already found them elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love those books.  We are fortunate enough to have a bookstore very close to where we live.....Books 4 Less......they had a couple in their used section and then I bought a couple in the new, (only paid $5 for the new ones)  I will need to purchase the rest on half.com.  You can get a break on the shipping if you order from the same seller.   I borrowed the Mitford series from a friend in Norwood who had the complete set.  Happy to hear you are teaching at CFA this year, especially since Lael starts this year.  What is it you will be teaching?
    Linda 

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - thanks so much for your kind words.  your picture is beautiful - and i don't know who your friends are, but i am originally from Pittsburgh!
    and you are not the only crazy person to go through three natural labors.  having done it myself, i know exactly what you mean... :)  first one: 22 hours.  second: 6 hours (nice)  third: 31.5 hours.  so yup... i hear you on that.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s. i love your kids names.  beautiful!

    ReplyDelete