Saturday, October 28, 2006

Bronwyn is 2 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days old. I guess you can't get any more "two" than this.

Gabriel was a tough baby. The things that I'd expected to be easy weren't (like napping), and the things that I'd expected would be difficult? Well, they were. Looking back, I didn't even realize that his mobility (crawling by 6 months, up stairs by 7 months, etc.) and speech (definite words by 10 months; my friends would tell you he was trying to speak even earlier) developed quickly, but I know now that he did it all fast--and I also know why. This boy takes after me in many ways, but the first and foremost similarity lies in his overwhelming opinions. My dear son has opinions and feelings about absolutely everything, and he feels very strongly about them. By 17 months he was telling me how he wanted his sandwich cut, if his sock felt "funny," whether or not he approved of dinner, that his pillow was placed on the bed improperly, and more. By 17 months he'd also been disciplined more times than I care to recount.

So what was so "terrible" about two, I wondered? As far as Gabriel is concerned, the going's been rough since he learned to slide across a room on his tummy!

Perhaps this is why God saw fit to send Bronwyn along. She is my "textbook" baby in every way, beginning with a 12-hour labor. (As opposed to 51 hours with Gabriel and... well... 3+ days with Jackson.) As a newborn, Bronwyn actually slept. By 4 months she was sleeping every night from 7pm to 7am, with one very predictable feeding at 2am. Crawling at 8 months, walking at 14.

And then she turned two. And while she is still a milder personality than her counterpart older brother, something dramatic happened over the summer months. It was as though she developed a sin-nature overnight. (Don't worry, I know she was really born with it.)

Now I know what's so terrible about two.

But I must confess that, while an understanding of the phrase "Terrible Two's" is quickly dawning, I still love this age. It is an age of discovery, of overnight growth. One day she wasn't even asking about the out-of-doors and the next she was telling me of the seasons. It isn't always convenient to have your two-year-old telling you that she doesn't want to wear that pair of pants, but I sure do love seeing her likes and dislikes emerging.

She may have been easier to manage a year ago, but I also didn't know that purple is her favorite color (nevermind that she still can't call it by its name properly) or that she would rather eat a raisin bran muffin than a PB&J sandwich. She couldn't put her shoes on, she couldn't pick out her own hair barrettes, she couldn't tell me what it was she felt she was coloring as she scribbled violently across a page.

Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, MO-OM! I need a tiiii-ssue.

Dei-Dei (her name for Gabriel), don't touch my baby Hannah!

NO! I don' like that bite.

Jack is takin' my 'troller! It's MINE! MINE! MINE!

There is a time and purpose for every season. And I love my girl in each one!

Mom, I wanna 'nuggle with you.

Sing me a song?

P'ay for my boo-boo, Mom.

Dei-Dei is my f'end.

7 comments:

  1. Oh how true!!! Although in this house we've found moving closer to 3 is much more challenging than 2! But I "second" the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember much and yet so little about Austin in this phase.  Ashlyn will be 2 in December and I already see things you mentioned happening here.  One minute she is so sweet and loving and the next she transforms into something altogether different (and not-so-nice!).  She is a mix between both of your oldest two....  Keep posting on this Brietta -I need to read and prepare all I can!! LOL!!! 
    Great post -I needed it.   

    ReplyDelete
  3. hallelujah!  i feel your pain!  the last three days i've had a severe dose of TWO.  kayla has been quite a pill and staying on top of things (consistency is key, as we all know too well) has left me completely exhausted by the end of the day.  and i only have one child!!  thinking of you... and praying God gives you strength and grace! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself a little less sad about Mariah's speedy growth than I was with the boys.  (I too expected her to still look like a newborn!) 
    I guess I'm just excited to get to know her!  That, and I just don't have time to sit around and be sad the way I did with Joel.  Mariah still does not have a baby book to note all of these milestones and she's already rolling over and "laughing" occasionally.
    Michelle and I have recently been discussing how much we liked the twos.  ("What's so terrible?" we've been saying.)  It seems the threes have been far more challenging for both Joel and Erin. 
    Though Bronwyn seems to have reached her "difficult" stage a little earlier, I doubt she'll ever be able to challenge Joel, Gabriel, or even Erin on that count. =)
    Maygen certainly has spunk and Mariah seems to want to catch up with the boys, so Michelle and I think that Ally will be the "easiest" of the 3 little girls here. 
    We shall see... they sure have a way of surprising us, don't they?
    ...And yes, I sure do love them so. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Annie-girl turned two 3 weeks ago... i don't remember the boys being like this... NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
    I've actually had to put my knee in her tummy, and restrain her so i can get her seatbelt on....
    The next instant she's as sweet as honey and my hair is all over my face, my blood pressure is over the top and i feel like i"ve run a hundred miles.... 
    It's useless to try to reason with her... and all my friends tell me "Welcome to the world of a little girl".
    you know... come to think of it... her daddy can handle her just fine.... one word or look from him and she's as good as gold. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so funny sounding. She is getting big sounding and looking big in her pictures. Boy it seems that kids like to talk when they learn. Hayla hasn't been saying much or doing much since she got sick last Wed. I hate when kids are sick especially when they can't tell you what hurts or anything. It is sad to see your little one just laying on the couch all day trying to fight off the sickness in their body. Well gtg. Hayla may start crying soon and I wanna be there for her when she is not feeling well. ttyl.

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy is still pretty good, but she turns 2 on Thursday...Matthew was worst at 4, maybe because he didn't talk a lot till then and I seem to do better when they aren't trying to reason with me??  Alan's been practically perfect till 12.....don't tell him that though....I didn't need to spank him after 3 years old.   I've hardly had to spank Joy yet, but I did just the other day when she was overtired and decided to pull the cereal boxes off the shelf madly even when I told her to stop....then she goes running out to Alan, "Mommy spanked me!!!!!" crying terribly.  Alan's laughing...I'm smiling...then I told her I forgave her.  I forgot that part when the boys were young... She also said her butt hurt and she needed ice....(I really didn't spank that hard at all, but Alan has her thinking she needs ice every time she gets a boo boo.  Hey, it works and she doesn't whine so much...)

    ReplyDelete