Thursday, October 19, 2006

We had our every-3-month visit to the WIC clinic this morning.

Always an adventure.
Never brief.
Worth it because the fat wad of checks (4+ people's worth of milk, cheese, eggs, peanut butter, juice, and more...) that I return home with.
(Hey, if they're going to take money, I'll get as much of it back as I can!)

The last two times I've gone, I've seen the same woman. We had our last babies at the same time in January, and since our three children are almost all the same exact ages, we choose similar appointment times. She's a nice lady. (The "hippie" in her makes me think of some of my favorite ladies --the midwives: over-priced hemp sweaters and "Local Food" bumper stickers on her station wagon and all.)

Today as I conversed briefly with her, I thought about arranging a playdate. The thought crossed my mind because I wondered if she knows Jesus; and I couldn't help but think that I might never find out-- since we're barely crossing paths in an overly-crowded clinic waiting room, our three children absorbing the majority of our attention (one must be on constant guard to keep the toys there out of these innocent mouths and such)-- if I don't try to get to know her in another environment.

But I didn't ask.
And now I wish I had.
I may never see her again.

I am sober.

5 comments:

  1. I had my wic apt. today as well. Hope you can meet up woth that lady again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when I miss opportunities for whatever reason!  I notice as my convictions to the "extremes" of the word of God solidify and increase, my exuberance to share with others decreases.  Mainly because I don't want to scare them off.  I have a good friend now whom I invited over for a playdate after meeting her at her workplace and hearing our children are the same ages.  But I still fumble on my verbal witness.  Sobering indeed.
    About my "long version."  I only had the long version up for a few minutes, and then deleted it off because I figured my readers were sick of hearing the same details of my journey over and over again, even though the focus was different this time around.  I'm suprised you saw the long version at all!  I'm glad that you had positive experiences to start off with- it is something I hope for all first-time moms, and beyond.  Someday I'd like to become a certified doula, or maybe even an CNM (if I ever have time for the schooling) just so I can help women without wild and crazy activism toward out of hospital births.  I know most people just won't do that.  It's sad from my perspective, but I also have to be courteous and respectful of their's.  Ya know?  Balance has never been one of my forte's. 
    Speaking of forte, do you ever get to sing anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a good woman, I think you'll get to see her again too.  I got to know my neighbor better by taking her to food bank with me many years ago and it led to good things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A year ago this week, on a Friday afternoon, I felt God prompting me to take a plate full of the chocolate chip cookies I was baking, down the road to our neighbour's farm. We had done it once before for this crusty bachelor as the boys had suggested his name be added to our list of old widows we shared goodies with every now and then. Charlie was a drunk who could barely walk because of his obesity. I met him briefly one day when he came out to drop off some real estate paperwork for us (my husband is a farmer/real estate agent). Charlie couldn't even climb the stairs to our door and that's when my then 3 and 4 year old sons decided we should bless him. (I have a 2 yr. old daughter as well)
    But this Friday, I was too busy. I don't remember what all my excuses were and we dropped cookies off in town for Jack and Lloyd, but, remembering Charkie's crusty attitude on our first visit, I chickened out and told the boys we didn't have time.
    Charlie passed away sometime that week-end and his body was discoverd by a friend on Monday. He was all alone. I found out on Tuesday and as far as we know he was an atheist. I'm still heartbroken about it.
    For weeks I was very burdened with the guilt because I had known I was to be Jesus to him.  I have taken this to heart that I will obey the Holy Spirit's gentle whisper to my heart and I WILL OBEY! I will not be ashamed to step out and speak for Jesus! Life is too short to live with what ifs and although I don't intend for you to take this as a lecture... (because believe me... I understand what it is to be busy...) I just want you to know I understand and I affirm that you WILL hear the gentle whisper of the Holy Spirit and the next time you hear it you will remember what happened in the wic and you WILL listen to the promptings on your heart! God is a God of second chances and I have vowed by the grace of God, there will never be another Charlie in our life.

    ReplyDelete