Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I have been buying things and making plans to buy yet other things. And these things all point to the fact that my children are growing. And all this makes me wistful.

On my shopping list (some purchased, most not):

1. training pants
     I haven't decided when exactly I will switch Bronwyn from diapers to the cute flowered training pants, but it will be soon--she seems ready--and, while I anticipate going back to having only one in diapers, I find potty-training to be a very sad time for me. Good-bye, baby... Hello, toddler.

2. bunkbeds
    As I approach the need for Bronwyn to be in a bed so that Jackson can have the crib (for now, he has used the wonderful Plymouth Plantation basket my mom gave to me three years ago, but it won't be long before he won't fit in there), I've decided it makes more sense to get bunkbeds that will one day serve both boys and let Bronwyn have the bed Gabriel currently uses. Good long-term solution, in theory; the only problem is that I'm too sentimental to move Bronwyn into a "big bed."

3. bookshelves
    Gabriel's art supply stash is growing (his 3rd birthday brought quite an increase). I haven't had a place to keep such things, but if I replace some lower toy shelves that are in the family room with tall bookshelves, I can use the higher shelves for art supplies that shouldn't be touched without supervision. I just can't believe I have a child old enough to use fingerpaints.

4. bicycle
    Now that we have a yard, we need some things to play with out there. I looked at tricycles for a while, only to find that most reviewers recommend a full-fledged bicycle (with training wheels, of course) for 3-year-olds. And here I was, thinking (hoping?) that the little 18" tall Radio Flyer would satisfy my rambunctious little boy.

5. The Boxcar Children, Little House, and other similar reading materials
    I've always wanted my children to love books and reading. It's always been my intention to stretch their minds. And, quite suddenly, I am realizing that these plans must take action today, because they are growing. As much as I love sitting down with them and reading a simple and pleasurable book like The Napping House, I'm going to have to move on to more advanced stuff before I know it. Unbelievable.

Once again, today I found myself with that very acute realization that I am a mom. I often think that the days of teaching my children and training my children are yet ahead of me--reserved for that time when I, myself, am fully taught and trained. And then I take a look at my son, and I realize he's a growing little boy; his mind is developing and he is taking much in. I look at my daughter, and I realize that she is not the quiet and smiling baby sitting on a blanket quite contentedly; but, rather, she is entering into her own; she is discovering her will, her preferences, her ideas.

Yeah. Better get on the shopping list.

6 comments:

  1. Yesterday I watched Seth running through the house with his "diaper butt" and thought out loud, "Awwwe, I'm gonna' miss little diaper butts!  It won't be long and he won't be running around with that white puff on his tush!  WAAAAAH!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quick suggestion (even though you didn't ask for any!):
    - BJ's in Massena has a bunk bed that is really nice maple finished (real) wood for $200. Most of the other ones we found were more expensive than that, were fake wood materials or were metal. Our girls have been in them for awhile now and they are very sturdy. Plus, they can be used as two twin beds rather than being stacked. If you ever want to check them out, let me know.

    I can completely relate with you on the little girls growing too quickly! Alyssa has made the switch to a big bed and been potty trained over the last few months. Its definitely been harder on me than her! Plus with Lael starting school in the fall, I feel like my babies have sprouted up over night. But I'm so thankful for the years and years to come that we'll have to spend with them - even though it seems like they will fly by in the blink of an eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad we come from reading families!  I think kids who grow up without good books are deprived.  I know your children will inheirit a love of reading from you!  My personal favorites for chapter books include:
    The Dr. Dolittle books by Hugh Lofting
    anything by Beverly Cleary
    The Reluctant Dragon by Kenneth Grahame
    The Door in the Wall by Marguerite DeAngeli
    anything by E.B. White
    anything by Roald Dahl
    The Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJong
    The Enormous Egg & The Trouble With Jenny's Ear by Oliver Butterworth
    The Phantom Tollboth by Norton Juster
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
    ...I must stop myself now...I could go on forever...I love books!
    Like you, I also get the sudden realization that "I am The Mom!"  That I, despite all my faults and foibles, am now totally responsible for the training and teaching of a little soul!  I feel overwhelmed sometimes, but isn't God good to be strong in our weaknesses and make up our lack?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should check out this book, it's great!
    Miss Fannies Hat by Jan Karon
    Also, I have a Pastor Friend that has compiled a list of his favorite books to read to children (they have three, I used to be their Nanny).
    You can find the link here, it's under children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i keep getting the realization that most of my friends are moms or dads. fortunately i have a little more time before i get that realization for myself...i'm glad. i think i'll need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the input on potty training... I´ll try to get the book and read it.  Much as you, I am not ready to see my baby girl be an official toddler yet and I think she is still too young but I realize she is growing quickly and I might as well be ready when the time comes!  Just yesterday as I put her down to sleep I kept repeating to myself "Yes, it is true... She is yours!"  Be blessed and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete