Thursday, April 13, 2006

Anyone who has ever shared a dinner with the Sinclairs knows how loud such an affair can and will be. After all, you put 15 people and a baby (plus whoever happens to be living in the house or stopping by at that time) around one table and there's bound to be some noise--especially when considering that the 16 people includes a Merrick personality, two toddlers and lots of sisters.

Last night our meal at Mama Lucia's celebrating my dad's 52nd birthday (which actually took place April 3rd while he was in the midst of travel home from Spain) was no different. And as I sat there and observed the animated conversation, the senseless noise produced by the youngest ones, and the boisterous laughter (yes, most Sinclair girls have quite noisy laughs), I felt so blessed. I considered families whose shared meals are nothing more than shared food and are rather quiet, with nobody having anything they want to share with the others and strife in place of joy, and I found myself appreciating all over again that my sisters and brothers and I are not only willing to spend time together, but that we have a good time while doing so.

Part of the prophetic word over Daniel and I Tuesday night was that we would be an example of what "normalacy" (yes, I know, no such word exists--but the prophet said it first!) in a family is. And while 15+ people sitting around a table enjoying one another immensely is far from normal in our culture, it's normal in the sense of it being healthy. Sometimes I fear when people come to my house that they are bothered by the commotion caused by small children and that we are not blessing them because of this, but such interruptions and dealings are part of life. It is in the handling of children and siblings and parent/children relationships that we can be a blessing. Normalcy must stem from what is healthy: love for one another (including those younger than us), an eagerness to talk and communicate within the family, correction and discipline when necessary, and having a good time even when it's "just us." This definition of normalcy in action is what will touch and heal lives.

I'm excited about the days ahead, and I have a fresh anticipation for meals shared with others. For now, I'll be glad for every opportunity to demonstrate patience and joy in working with ones much younger and less mature than us, and in the days ahead I'll enjoy the laughter and talking that will take place between us all!

Who wants to come over for dinner?!

7 comments:

  1. We´d love to come over for dinner!!!  I always find it refreshing to be in company of any (or all) of the Sinclairs and I look forward to having a home that distills (sp?) the same spirit and love for family!  Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when R.Jay and I were first married and dinners were so quiet. Sure, you'd have the two of us bantering off the days events and laughing about simple things, but there wasn't little voices demanding more or goofy food faces, or parents telling stories of when you were just that small. I remember calling my mom so upset that my new home with my new husband was just TOO quiet. I, like you, appreciate family, mine and now R.Jay's and love big bustling tables of laughter and noise. You know you can count me in for such a fun evening at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL ,I would like to come for dinner, but dont know ya lol... That is so true.. I have seen ppl say they will not invite you over cause you have kids and they dont want their house a mess.. I was thinking in my head and your a christian ok yes slap me... PPL need to reach out and get out of their comfort zones .. The thing  that GOD showed me when I was a younger mom .. when i wanted to controle my childs every move because of the way THE WORLD IS.. I was like wait a minute kids are kids of course their loud when they play .. Yes their is a diffrence when kiddoes are not behaved.. I have never been to the sinclairs but I just personal meet Mr sinclair twice.. I hear that he is a family man.. I have heard nothing but good things about him.. I saw him teach once at my old church.. I hear how talented their family is.. I guess if their daughers are loud when they laugh. I guess I would fit right in lol... I love your post its so true I would just love to be where we have ppl in our house enjoying each other.. but unfortanitly when ever we invite ppl they have an excuse or we never get inivited.. YES THAT SAD TO SAY.. but we connected with one family that we visit with once in a while they have five kiddoes and they have two step daughters that are moved out.. it was fun being their just hanging out enjoying each other company and just being real.. Actual we just ate over their house tuesday night. it was great to get out..
    and amen on the normalcy.. not much of that today..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Mama Lucia's all the time when I was a student, Yum!
    I hope you have a nice Easter as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah we wouldn't mind coming for dinner. I think it would be fun and I love when people are loud and fun. Plus when other kids are acting up, I feel better about my own doing so!

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rick, Jonathan, Matthew and I would love to come for dinner!!! :) thanks for the invite. We'll be there as soon as we come for a visit. I suppose we'd give notice 1st.  We'd also be happy to be at your mom and dad's for dinner. We miss all of you! Cool word!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not going to lie, I really miss those "loud meals". (I concidered using an exclamation point at the end of my sentence, but refraied for fear of being catogorized as a 14 year old girl, JK LOL !!!!! and other annoying teenageisms etc...)

    ReplyDelete