Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Treasures


I walk along the road, Aubrey in the Ergo we've been lent, Jackson holding my hand, and the big kids in the wagon I pull along. They chatter and talk and exclaim about robins and squeal about bumps in the road that send them tumbling about. The sun is warm and bright, the sky dappled with bits of puffy white, the breeze smells like green and growth. I drink in the clean rejuvenation that it all gives.

"Are you babysitting or something?" the older woman asks as we converge at the local post office.
I smile. "No, they're all mine."
"Well you have your hands full," she chuckles, and then she adds, "but they're all beautiful and I'm sure they're worth it."

As we continue our walk, my heart is bursting. Not with pride in something of my own doing or making, but with the umpteenth revelation that God has blessed me so much more than I deserve. Gabriel, Bronwyn, Jackson, and Aubrey are living treasures, handed to one who could not earn such wonders if I worked my whole life for them.

And I think to myself that I want to live in this reality even when we get home and the whining for lunch begins; when naptime is a struggle and obedience is scarce; when there is sickness and accompanying anxiety; when the mundane tasks of life cloud the beauty of His handiwork.


12 comments:

  1.   So often we take our little treasures for granted or allow our human-ness to steal the joy from our hearts.  Nice to be reminded in such a gentle way of how precious they are. 
    Out of curiosity... would you mind telling me your thoughts on the Ergo.  Dale wants me to get one so that I can return Jackies Moby (which she has very generously let me borrow for a long time now!) but I dont want to spend the money if it isnt worth it.  Honest opinion including pros and cons would be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful names, beautiful "babies." (When will they be too old for me to call them all "Bri's babies"?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post. It makes my heart burn even more with excitement over what's to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great title for such a true post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm.... you and I were asked the same question today  

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet comment you got!  I'll admit to getting tired of hearing "boy, you've got your hands full!" everywhere I go since I've been told that starting with just two boys   never mind the 4 we've got now.
    And I am loving my Ergo.  When I got pg with my youngest, I told dh that all I needed to buy for the baby would be some new diapers and an Ergo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brietta! I love your heart - you are a blessing! Love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really are treasures. I feel so blessed to me a mom to my kids. I can't think of anything else I'd rather do. and to answer your question, when I have to leave the house for more then a couple hours, I usually pump before I leave, and pump right when I get home. I also try to always have a stock of breastmilk in the freezer. I used to have class all day when I was breastfeeding Mara, so I would go to my car when I had a chance and pump in there as well. Frankly, I love the pump, which allows me to always have a stock of breastmilk...you just never know when you might need it, and it gives me a little ore freedom when I go shopping and whatnot. I know she wont go hungry if I am running late.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet treasures, indeed!  Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @StraderMom - I've only used the Ergo twice (yesterday and today), but have really liked it so far.  I can honestly say it's my favorite way to carry Aubrey-- and I really like the Moby, so that's saying a lot!   I've had two different baby carriers over the years (an Evenflo and a Baby Bjorn) and this is sooooo much nicer.  Aubrey feels much more secure in it than I ever felt like she was in the other carriers and my shoulders and back don't ache a bit!Now, she is a pretty small girl still, so I can't give it a rating for bigger babies, but I will say that I'm liking the Ergo enough that now I'm trying to figure out if I want Daniel to just give me all my presents for the year (Mother's Day, birthday, anniversary, etc.) early so I can buy one for myself, since the one I'm using is borrowed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post!  I also had to laugh - I have been told several times now that I "have my hands full"  when I'm just walking around town with Eleora in her carrier, the dog's lease in one hand and sometimes a bag of groceries or mail for the post office in the other.  Maybe one day I'll be blessed to be wearing a carrier and have a toddler's palm in one hand and a red wagon handle in the other!  I can't imagine what they'll tell me then! =)
    We love you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete