Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Busy Days


Tonight concludes our annual prophetic presbytery meetings. I can't tell you how much I love these times, or how grateful I am that all my children are healthy enough for me to attend these gatherings. My dry soul feels as though it's been taking a long drink of cold water.

Between going to bed Saturday night around midnight (post presbytery meeting #1) and leaving for church the next morning, a new nephew was born! One of my favorite kind of news to get is that another healthy baby has entered our world.

Sunday night, we were preparing to leave the house for night #2. The kids were eating their snack while Daniel and I packed the diaper bag, gathered coats, changed diapers, etc. It was around 5:15pm (the meeting was to begin at 6pm) that Bronwyn informed us that she had stuck a popcorn kernel up her nose. 20 minutes later, I called the doctor because our best attempts with a flashlight and tweezers weren't getting us anywhere. He said he'd normally recommend the ER to get it removed, except that the place was "a zoo." Since she wasn't distressed about it (so long as we weren't sticking tweezers up her nose), the decision was made to wait until the next day when she could go to the doctor's office.

The next morning, our whole family packed up again and headed over to Aunt Beans' salon for haircuts all around. In the middle of the haircuts, Daniel slipped out with Bronwyn to bring her to the doctor's, where it took both our regular doctor and her husband (also a doctor in that practice) to remove the popcorn kernel from Bronwyn's nose. Paper & crayons, along with a packed lunch for the whole crew (including Uncle Merrick, who had come for a haircut, too), kept little people occupied while we were there.

Carina gave me a great cut and style that I have completely failed at repeating today, despite my best efforts. (Have I ever mentioned that I'm really delinquent when it comes to doing hair?) Fortunately, I got my eyebrows waxed yesterday, which is the one form of pampering that makes me feel great even when my pathetic hair-styling abilities leave something to be desired.

Last night's meeting wasn't proceeded by anything as weird as children sticking popcorn kernels up their nose, thankfully. The only minor incident of the night was my younger son and another little boy in the nursery getting into a smacking-fest.

This morning I hit the grocery stores. My refrigerator and cupboards were looking rather sorry and since my family likes to eat even when I'm tired (shocking, I know), I headed out. The good thing about forcing myself to do something I don't want to do is that now I get the joy of knowing the job is done. Of course, I still have to actually make myself cook the soup I have planned.

Tomorrow is my official re-coup day around the house because Thursday and Friday both have appointments and outings planned, and then Saturday we are hosting a dozen student-leaders here at our house for a meal. Somehow, I'd also like to continue the spring cleaning/re-organizing I began last week, but I'm not going to bank on such things.

Yeah, this schedule is pretty busy for me and my little brood, but it's a busy that's full of really fun things that I'm very excited to be doing.


10 comments:

  1. haha!!!  so funny.  i'm the same way about my eyebrows.  whenever i'm having an "off" sort of day i always think that i should just go and have my eyebrows waxed -- it always makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I wanna know is who was the other little boy, and did Jack win?So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. boy, I really love you.
    (and not just because I see you have linked to my site)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @danicasinclair - well, considering that Jack was the one in tears and the other boy (David Webster) was happily looking at books when I arrived on the scene, I would have to surmise that Jack lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should post some pictures of your "new doo"....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The popcorn kernal thing is cracking me up.  Jocie had a wad of kleenex up her nose in Pittsburgh.  Thankfully she was able to blow it out. I'm glad that Dr. McCloy was cool enough about everything that you could wait and not miss presbetry while sitting in the ER! 
    So, I seem to be a bit retarded with the "new" xanga.  (you know, the one that I switched to back in December!)  I can't figure out how to get tickers in.  Since you obviously know, do you mind sharing?  Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting my eyebrows done is my favorite pick-me-up!  I was just getting done laboring when my last appointment was---I am anxious to re-schedule!  They sure need some help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I surely do appreciate these stories...life is never a dull moment with young ones.  I cannot get over the kernel of corn ~ it will definitely be one of those stories told into the future.  I tried leaving several comments here a few days ago, but we kept getting kicked of the internet.  Hope this one works!

    ReplyDelete