Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Thoughts


My children are early to rise. Even if bedtime is delayed an hour or two later than usual (like last night), they still wake up early. Consequently, I put them to bed early. This means that they aren't grumpy the next day. It also means that I get a couple hours before I retire to do the less kid-friendly jobs and projects around the home-- and, of course, to enjoy the peace and quiet that comes when all four little ones are sleeping.

Tonight, I am very glad that they go to bed early. Even as I type, Daniel is doing the bedtime reading honors while I sit down here nursing Aubrey. Shortly, I will finish our Easter preparations and be done before it is even remotely late. I am trying to savor this since I know that once my kids are bigger and stay up later, the "in secret" tasks of filling and hiding Easter baskets will have to be done long after I would like to be in bed.

Today has been full of preparations for tomorrow. This year I got the task privilege of making our traditional Easter dessert: chocolate whipping cream torte. Since there will be a crowd of 24 around my parents' tables tomorrow afternoon, I also made a 3-layer lemon buttermilk cake that is filled with raspberry preserves. I must say that both took more time, more sifting, and more mixing bowls than I ever thought possible. They also look very, very delicious.

The cheesebraid for breakfast is done. The ironing is done and every item for every outfit is laid out. The books that will mark each child's spot at the table are wrapped. And I just finished the clues for the Easter basket hunt that will take place first thing in the morning.

All I need to do now is set the table for breakfast, fill and hide the baskets and six clues, pack the diaper bag for a full day away from home, and collect the things Mom has asked to borrow in order to accommodate so many guests tomorrow. Daniel tells me I also need to leave some time in my evening plans for cheering on Pitt.

I wasn't sure I would get everything accomplished without having last night to do some of the work, but both Daniel and I were very much wanting to make it to the Good Friday Service at church and so I scurried extra in order to make it a priority. I've never been to such a service and thought it would be a good experience.

It was so much more than a good experience. I think it may have been one of the most moving services I have been at in my life. Tears of conviction, sorrow, and forgiveness mingled on my face as my heart was freshly overwhelmed by how much my Savior loves.

And now the stage has again been set for great, great celebration tomorrow. Resurrection! Victory over death and evil and satan and darkness! I am free to come before the Lord because His death has paid my debt in full. I am a child of God. What joy! What peace! What kindness!

Hallelujah! He lives!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful day with your family. Happy Easter!!
    I, too, have my cheese braid baked and a egg casserole waiting in the fridge for tomorrow morning. We just finished dying eggs and now are on to the bathing portion of tonights events. Soon it will be bed and I can finish and hide their baskets!

    ReplyDelete