Saturday, March 29, 2008

Aubs


We have several nicknames for Aubrey and none of them really make sense. Well, I guess Aubs makes sense since it is a shorter version of her actual name, but it certainly isn't cute or pretty. Here are a few others that you'll hear frequently:

Aub-a-Reeno
Scooby
Chunka (as in, short for Chunky Monkey... which she is not... which makes this a real head-scratcher)

I always wonder why we don't call her Bre or something cute like that. I figure it's probably the same reason my mom called Merrick Bugaboo and why I'm called Potato Annie: true nicknames aren't planned but rather evolve.

Anyway.

Aubrey (aka Aubs) is looking so much better this morning! I'm really hoping this is because her oxygen saturations are returning to normal, though we won't know for sure until Monday. She's smiling and playing with toys and enjoying watching the other kids play-- all things she's not done much of since Sunday night. Most of this week our nights have consisted of coughing fits (that frequently end in vomiting), crying, refusals to nurse, etc, but last night she nursed contentedly and pretty much slept otherwise.

Daniel and I are really tired and I'm pretty sick, but otherwise we're doing well. We have a lot of people who really care about us and take care of us and that makes a big difference. Aubrey's doctor has called everyday to make sure she's not getting worse. Last night Carina came over with pizza and to put the kids to bed since Daniel was sharing at an IVCF meeting. Tonight we'll eat enchiladas made by Nancy. We get offers from people running errands to pick up anything we need. I don't know how people without such wonderful friends and family manage during crazy weeks like this and I'm grateful that I don't have to.


4 comments:

  1. But we already call you Bri...it would be too confusing to have two Bris.
    Can't we just call her Aubrey-baby? Maybe it's too much like Baby-B, but that's what I've been calling her.
    Also, Bri, today I love you. Today I am thinking of Danica having a
    baby out there in California without all of us and it makes me so
    sad--but then I think of you, and I think of how grateful I am that
    even though two babies were born far, far away--this baby was born
    here, with this family around, and it makes me so deeply grateful.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would a pulse-ox to use at home help you or just drive you nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I would have to disagree with you on "Aubs" not being cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think "Aubs" is cute too!You're absolutely right, nicknames do evolve.  We call Nora "Ruby" or "Ruby-Ray"It started because Isaac and Givoanna called her "Ra Ra" for Nora.  So we'd call her Ra Ra... then Jake called her Rabada (all short "ah" sounding a's), which got shortened to Raba... and then somehow transitioned to a little song about "Raba Ra Ra Ruby".. which is now sometimes just Ruby and sometimes Ruby Ray.  When people ask why we call her Ruby I just say "oh it's too long of an explanation" because I think it won't make sense to most.  But reading over your nickname list... I'll share with you   I think you'll understand!

    ReplyDelete