Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Baby Toy Gym


I think I've already stated that I'm not much of a baby gadget person. And I'm pretty sure this is now official since I had a baby swing in my possession that was promptly returned when it wasn't deemed worth the space it took up after a week or two. (Something that gigantic needed to transform our lives in order for me to keep it.)

However, I must confess to having purchased a baby toy gym when Gabriel was an infant. And-- truthfully?-- I would buy it again in a heartbeat if any of the pieces ever got lost. After weeks of attaching miscellanous toys to the kitchen table legs and then laying Gabriel underneath where they dangled, I figured this particular gadget might just save me the time of rigging the whole thing up, and I was right.

Beyond my own convenience, though, four babies later it still claims the title of Favorite Toy and Distraction.

It isn't altogether cute and most certainly isn't the kind of toy I love to look at. I prefer classic stuff of a different variety. You know, like wooden rocking horses and cloth baby dolls. I mean, turquoise and purple is possibly my least favorite color-combination.

But I can't argue with the pleasure my babies derive from it. And I can't complain too much about its poor aesthetic value when it literally provides hours of entertainment. When my babies are too small to sit up and play but too big to want to snuggle up with Mama all day, the baby toy gym is the ticket to contentedness.


(Now... you didn't really think I would have purchased one of those big baby toy gyms, did you?
I mean, of course I found the one that can be taken apart easily so as to take up less space!!!)


7 comments:

  1. I wish I had one for Mara when she was younger. Everyone always says that babies love them, so I might just splurge on one before #2 comes along here. But I always thought they were ugly, took up space, but if it keeps them occupied who am I to criticize?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally LOVED her floor gym!!  Glad Aubrey seems so entertained by it.
    Yes, I made my costume for the party.  (Except the boots, they were an ebay find and the hat was altered)  Because I waited until the last minute to make the finishing touches (New Years Eve) I got very, very sloppy.  Also, since I was already feeling so sick at that point, I had my mom and Andrea safety pin it make it fit me better.  I also wore a cami underneath because I had no pattern to work from and no patience to sit and put darts in something I will most likely wear once.  So, although I made it, it's not my best attempt but it did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet.  So far Riley hasn't been interested in ours.  Aidan has taken all of the toys and added them to his collection.  Maybe I should reclaim them and see if Riley is more interested this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when things (baby gadgets) take up too much room. But I can say that the swing was one thing I did want to keep. I got another chair though that I didn't want to keep. Of course I felt bad about getting rid of a present from family. This chair was not much used by Hayla as an infant but sometimes she likes to sit in it now (its one that infants can use when you want to "lull" (vibrate their butts) to sleep). I am not big the vibrating chairs, they never worked with Hayla. Who knows though, every kid is different. Do those gyms really work well? I would think that they could only take it for so long, I thought they looked boring to me, but then again I am not a baby anymore. It looks like Aubrey really likes it though.Have a great day: AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those things are lifesavers!  That's how I was able to have meals!  At least with Matthew...The one I had with him and Alan ended up breaking and I was given one by my husband's co-worker for Joy that she had used.  It was foldable and stores really neat, I still have it....hoping for one more?  Or maybe a grandchild, but I really don't see that happening for quite a while, maybe I'll save it one more year.  I would say that is definately my favorite toy for infants.  They're great.
    It's so cute to have a video of Aubrey!!!  Do you use a digital camera for that, or a digital video camera?  I need to learn how to do that. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here it is  I probably wouldn't have bought it because of the price, but it was really nice since it included the mat and folds flat when not being used.  And you can hang other things from it and rearrange it.  The one I had for the boys was a sesame street one, and it was hard like yours and they could also sit and play with it.  But once they were ready to pull up it had to be put away so they wouldn't knock it over and fall.  It had spinning things on the side that they really seemed to like a lot.  Anyway, thought I'd include a picture to show you, I was blessed to get this one for free! 

    ReplyDelete