Monday, October 8, 2007

Redemption

With each scrub of the floor, cupboards, and chairs of my kitchen, the sense of normalcy increases. With each story book read, diaper changed, and bathroom sink cleaned, I feel less and less in a daze. With each load of laundry that gets pumped through my beloved frontload washer & dryer-- blue jeans and plaid bedsheets and tiny pink socks-- there is a calm that washes over me.

Yet not entirely.

Not like before.

My heart aches and groans for His redemption here on earth. The brokenness of humanity and the sting of sin is freshly real to me, and now I am all the more desperate for the touch of the only One who can make it right.

I believe with my whole heart that God's will is to heal and redeem Aubrey's life. He has already shown Himself faithful to this promise. My resolute confidence is that one day the little heart that is swollen and confused will no longer beat visibly with every heave of her chest... that she will run and dance and shout and play... that her life will for many, many years be a testimony and encouragement to others.

But the core of who I am has been changed as I walk this out. Eternity has been printed on my heart in a new and deeper way.

The path I am on isn't easy. I didn't ask for or want this. I confess that there have been moments when I have cried out to God that this not be my portion or Aubrey's.

And yet I cannot deny the precious work of the Holy Spirit in the midst of this trial. The Lord is healing my daughter-- and He is changing me as I watch, experience, and await His redemption.


8 comments:

  1. Wow!  I've been praying for you and little Aubrey.  I can't wait to see (ok well read) what God is doing in her life.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord! It gives me a greater appreciation for diaper changing! We're so happy you're home and doing well. We hope to visit Potsdam not this weekend, but the next - can't wait to see you and the WHOLE family!
    Love,
    Jen & Eleora

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am resolutely believing along with you that Aubrey will someday "run and dance and shout and play".
    Perhaps you don't realize (because you have had your mind on other things!) how you and Daniel are ministering to the Body of Christ throughout this trial. Your attitudes, actions, and display of faith have strengthened us all.
    Thank you.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the way that you and daniel have walked through this time with such faith and peace from God has been amazing. thanks for being living examples of the way i'm supposed to be walking -- especially as you go through such a wearing and trying situation.

    i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family is truly an inspiration to me. I am so glad that you're all home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post.
    Don't be afraid to pull it up and re-read your very own words during those crazy, trying moments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it kind of God to give us exactly what we need in order to learn exactly the right lesson about his grace? He truly is omnibenevolent, and one of the ways we see this is how he relentlessly pulls us to himself...and I'm so grateful that he's giving you grace to see this in the midst of difficulty!! He cares about us enough to draw us...in whatever way we need to be drawn. He never steps from his throne, and he never stops being good.

    It's a privelege to serve him and it's a privelege to watch you and Daniel waking this out.

    ReplyDelete