Thursday, October 25, 2007

An Update to the Update

My appointment this morning brought more good news. (I'll keep going to the doctor if the reports keep improving as they have this week!)

I have definitely been passing residual tissue, but the doctor is almost sure it's simply the old uterine lining getting kicked out faster than usual by new lining. In his words: "The pumping and dumping vs. breastfeeding you did the first couple weeks probably means your body is getting ready for baby #5." Not sure I'm ready to think about that-- and fortunately I don't have to today-- but at least he's pretty confident it's nothing to worry about.

The swelling, tenderness and bleeding are probably from over-doing. He said he cannot emphasize enough how much even travel and lack of sleep contributes to slower recovery, let alone being on the go since 48 hours post-op as I have been. While my activities haven't actually been harmful, there is a price to pay for each thing I do. In light of this, my guess is that driving our car with standard transmission quite a bit on Monday may have triggered these symptoms, to be honest.

So that's that. Nothing major. Nothing alarming. I'll have my blood count checked since I tend toward anemia, but I would have to have some significantly bad hemoglobin levels before the risks of taking a scalpel to me *shudder* are less than the risks of leaving things as is. I'm fairly certain I'm fine, since I don't feel terribly tired and a quick fingerprick last Friday indicated hemoglobin levels of 11.6.

So, enough of that. Pictures are way more fun.

My pretty big girl:
(She chews her lips these days until actually causing bleeding & scabbing above & below, as you can see)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Bronwyn stare:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I had money on a gift card for here, so I went ahead and decided to try a swing out for mealtime since she is often not happy when I sit and hold her (not even in the wrap):
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Our sleeping 6-week-old lady love:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



11 comments:

  1. Glad for a good report, hope things keep looking up for your health & well being.....very darling girly pix!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your daughters are both beautiful =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aubrey looks precious sleeping in her new swing,I hope that works out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty girls.

    I'm glad that things are going rather well with your recovery.

    I miss you all so much! It really stinks to now have a niece AND a nephew who I have yet to meet. I know this has been thought/said countless times already, but the 500 miles from here to there seem entirely unecessary. ; )

    Be encouraged that your daily work is service to the eternal and ever generous God. He receives glory, even when no one else notices what you do, and even when the tasks (now multiplied x 4!!) are mundane or difficult. You're a blessing to many, many people, Brietta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pumping tip - when I was in Crouse, they educated me on pumping - I guess there is one brand of pump (outside the standard hospital fare) that will pump at the same speed as a baby nursing (three years ago, it ran about $250).  They said that something as little as pumping at a different rate from a baby eating can cause adverse effects on milk production.  They also mentioned that pumps can be rented from the hospital on a weekly or monthly (maybe even 6-month basis).  I think it was $50 per week or less and then the monthly rate was less than 4 weeks, I believe.  Although my experience is limited, I noticed no lack of milk production when using the hospital's pump, but when I tried it at home with my own, I did have difficulties. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! Those lovely little ladies are growing up quickly!
    I just remembered-I still have some Tupperware at your house. I'll try to remember to give you a call, so I can pick that up, so I can make some more food for you.  :)
    Also-the Blessing Shop-is that part of CFC? I am desperately needing some winter clothing for the kids and I also have some bags I would like to donate.
    Take it easy, okay? I know it's not easy with 3 other little ones but please don't hesitate to give me a call. I would love to come over and help, if I can. It would bless me greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great and precious pics of aubrey-great report from the doctors! yea! hope you enjoy the swing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great report! I'm so glad the doctor was able to give you good news.

    You HAVE to take it easy - let your body recover! I was told not to drive (even an automatic) for at LEAST six weeks. I wish I could be there to take some of the load off of you!

    We miss you all very much - and can't wait to meet the precious baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopping in to say hi and that we're still praying for you all here...

    Sarah had forwarded me your more detailed update and I was thinking to myself, "If I know Brietta, she's probably overdoing it!" (I say this knowing that with 3 kids, let alone 4, it's very hard not to!) I know your standards for yourself and your home are high--but you are, after all, a child of God and as such should treat yourself the way He treats His children...

    The photos, of course, are welcome as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your girls are cute!  Glad Aubrey is doing well.  Glad you are well, too!
    As far asc-sections are conserned I think it depends on the person I suppose with the c-section.  I have had 3 and never passed tissue-I didn't even know that was part of a c-section recovery!?  I had my first c-section because of complications, failure to progress, and a baby whose heart rate dropped for 11 minutes.  I was awake for mine and it was hard--especially after laboring for practically a week at home off and on and in the hospital for close to 48 hours.  Because of my many risk factors I opted for a repeat c-section with my 2nd and 3rd.  Without laboring both experiences were really wonderful and recovery was even quicker with each c-section.  The day of my c-section I was up walking around on my 2nd and 3rd!  So, while I would rather to birth naturally-- (and a c-section was my biggest fear when I was pregnant with my first--and it happened!) --I'm glad that God has provided a way for me and my babies to be safe during delivery.  Not to many years ago I probably would have died with my first child!  And in the like--Aubrey probably wouldn't have made it either!  I thank God for the knowledge and wisdom he has imparted to us as a people.  And as moms to make the best choices for us, our bodies, and our precious babies.
    Take it easy!!  I can tell you the truth you will pay for what you do after a section and stairs are bad to climb too many times and driving?  I'm told not to drive for 4 weeks!!  Slow down, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't remember which boy, I think it was Alan, used to bite his lips and make them bleed.  I remember always having to heal up lips so I could get pictures taken!  Lip Medix is good....it tingles...they each had their own tub of it.
    You'll have to play her the Veggie Tales, "I Love my Lips" song!  She is such a beautiful girl. 
    Swings are great too!

    ReplyDelete