Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Doctors, Meds, and Hope

Aubrey saw our local doctor today for the first time. She is doing well, overall, and we made further plans for her care. In addition to the visits to Syracuse to see the cardiologists, Aubrey will see our doctor about once a month to monitor growth.

Last week, Aubrey left the NICU weighing 3375g (or 7lbs, 7.05oz). Today she weighed 7lbs, 10oz and measured 19.5" (I think she's actually longer than this since I measured her at 20.5" last Thursday-- maybe we'll just go with 20"!). She has long, delicate fingers and her legs are scrawny; I think the 3oz gain that I am so proud of went right to her cheeks and nowhere else! Her little head is 1.5" smaller at 4 weeks old than Bronwyn's was at birth, so that the only hat in our possession that remotely fits her is the pink crocheted one the nurses put on her immediately after delivery. For the first time with any baby, I actually bought a second package of newborn-sized diapers.

But she is growing (better now than in the NICU), and I am so happy. I spend a lot of time nursing her and am coming to terms with the fact that she also seems to need 2-3 bottles (50ml of breastmilk each) a day in order to get full; when it comes to breastfeeding, she tires before having eaten all that she needs to sleep well. Hopefully we will slowly but surely be able to wean her from those "top off" bottles, but for now I am simply glad she is content and that the scale is showing growth.

Very soon, Aubrey will get her first dose of medicine to help prevent RSV. She will get this once a month throughout the winter months.

On the 24th, we will make our first return trip for an appointment with the cardiologists. We're still not sure how frequently they will want to see Aubrey and what kinds of testing they will want to do in the coming months. I anticipate finding out more at the appointment.

Aubrey is on 2 different medications right now: one for the atrial fibrillation (racing heart) and a second to prevent fluid build-up that is caused by heart disease. I administer both of these orally once a day. In addition, she gets an iron and vitamin supplement that I mix with some breastmilk in a bottle, also once a day.

I am thankful for attentive doctors and effective medications. But when I've done my research, asked lots of questions, and heard the pros and cons, I realize again that my hope and expectation must be in God alone. And, actually, that's the best place for it. He has faithfully kept Aubrey even when many medical professionals said she probably wouldn't live and even before that! We will continue to wash our hands lots, track medications, and keep appointments, but when all is said and done, our hearts will rest in Him and His power.

Psalm 34:17-20 The righteous cry, and the Lord hears And delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the Lord delivers him out of them all. He keeps all his bones, Not one of them is broken. [emphasis mine]

13 comments:

  1. It's good to hear your updates:) I'm praying & think of you guys often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for this little miracle daily!
    catzndogz9

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear the update.  I've been thinking that I wanted to stop over or at least call to find out how you are all doing, but we've had a bout of sickness around here that has thrown me completely off of my normal routines. 
    How is Aubrey doing with taking the meds?  I remember at times when I was working that I would get so so frustrated with how some of the babies put up SUCH a fuss over the tiniest bit of medication.  You guys are doing a great job.  We continue to pray for sweet baby Aubry! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be praying and joining you in rejoicing in each miracle that God brings.  He is Good all the time!  Love to All.  Gram

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's good that they are giving her the medicine for RSV. I don't know why they didn't for my Adam, and he was at 34 weeks development, born at 38 weeks. And then he did get RSV :(

    I'm glad Aubrey is doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sweet Aubrey! I wish I could see your chubby cheeks!
    Love to all-
    The Criscitello Clan

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad to hear your baby girl is GROWING! k also did so much better when she finally came home - something about being with family, eh?! we did the synagis shots all through her first winter. just an fyi - the dose grows as the baby grows, so by the time the last few doses came around, k was getting TWO shots. it was so sad. but she didn't get rsv! we were also instructed to stay away from crowds (no church, no parties, no social gatherings, no sick visitors) and we were really strict about that. i'm sure your diligence will pay off and little aubrey will be thriving by the time the spring rolls around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can always email me if you have questions! bethanyruthjones@yahoo.com

    i'll do the best i can to answer...

    1) i pumped for the entire 2.5 months that k was in the NICU - we rented a hospital grade pump and i had a massive amount of milk (ended up giving a friend 5 months worth of milk for her baby that i'd pumped/stored). k took really well to nursing (a huge thing for a preemie!) - BUT i still had to pump for about 1-2 months after she came home to regulate. i did suffer through some engorgement b/c i was producing much more milk than she needed. i would just let her nurse and then pump (but not until i was empty - just enough for relief). it was a really long and tiring process, as i'm sure you know! but worth it. i wanted to throw a party when we finally returned the pump after 5 months!!

    2) being in "lock-down" for 6 month was really tough. we had a lot of friends that did meals for us and would visit (ONLY if they weren't sick and only 1-2 at a time!). we also had my parents and inlaws come a couple of times so we could go to church at least once a month. it was NOT easy. it was NOT fun, but the last thing we wanted was to land back in the NICU. i'm sure you understand! teaching tapes, reading books, church on tv... we just made it work. i remember bundling up every day and taking walks b/c it was the ONLY thing we could really do to get out of the house.

    i'm so happy that aubrey is home - my heart goes out to you and your family! you are certainly in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just told Ryan last night that I think that the ONLY good part about a planned c-section would be that I would know what day the baby is coming! 
    We will definitely come over once I know that this cold virus is done.  Jocelyn is still coughing, so it won't be in the next few days! 

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these updates on how you and Aubrey are doing.  Not only are they helpful in knowing how to pray specifically but they are so encouraging to see prayer being answered. 
    As for my little one...  Dr M thinks he may be big and doesnt want me to have to deliver a huge baby.  My thought is...  big babies are delivered all the time!  Then there is the fact that I have been having strong and regular (though far apart) contractions for a while now.  All-in-all, Dr thinks this guy will be coming sooner rather than later.  I agree but dont want to get my hopes set on that!  It would sure make for a long last month of pregnancy if I got discouraged with being pregnant now. 
    BTW... I think you were there when I was again yesterday?? My appt was at 12 -were you already there then -possibly in the back room to the left?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the update.  We are praying for Aubrey and for you and for Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes...top off bottles.  The beginning of the end for us.  Sounds like Aubrey is already doing so much better than Ally though.  Thanks for the great report!!  How awesome.  Oh and thanks for your comment.  My mom has already spoken with Dee and has gotten a few recipes from her.  And I took your Apple Crisp recipe and made it gluten free!  We had it last night and the difference was hardly noticable.  I substituted regular flour for brown rice flour.  Have a great day! 

    ReplyDelete