Wednesday, February 28, 2007

We celebrated Gabriel's birthday last night. It was wonderful, in spite of a very bad morning for me. (I was sick, grouchy, harsh, and critical. Lunch time brought many tears and much sorrow, and from there the day began to look up.) Daniel baked his first birthday cake ever, compliments of this being the first birthday we've ever celebrated while I'm in my first trimester of pregnancy, and it turned out great. There was lots of help from family, too: Liana came over and helped me wrap gifts, set the table, and entertain the kids; Carina came and decorated the cake (cake decorating being my least favorite culinary job); and Mom washed dishes after dinner. I really did nothing.

My special boy seemed to enjoy his evening greatly. He certainly isn't feeling 100% yet (Saturday and Monday were throwing-up days for him), but at least his stomach wasn't "hurting." And, as hoped, he came alive when he began opening his drums!

I have many wonderful pictures and a video of him playing his first song on his very own drum set. Unfortunately, our old computer has temporarily quit on us and Daniel's very-new computer has yet to get all the right software installed so I can get pictures up. Many, many apologies. (It shouldn't be long, though.)

About Gabriel:

--he has taken leaps and bounds this year in terms of obedience. We have seen a great deal of improvement when it comes to emotional outbursts, respecting rules and boundaries, and thinking before acting/speaking. As with any of us, there is much growth yet to be seen, but overall the past several months have encouraged Daniel and I that he is beginning to "get it."

--favorite foods are becoming fewer and disliked foods are becoming greater, unfortunately. At least I can take comfort in that one of the all-time favorite foods is canteloupe. Nothing wrong with that.

--he continues to amaze me with his depth of talent and thought. His musical gifting is very real and his questions about life often profound.

--whatever he does, he does it wholly. His undivided focus when playing, talking, thinking, watching a movie-- anything!-- is astounding!

--he loves playing with his Uncle Merrick. I love that my little brother and my son are such fast friends. The almost four years age difference between them is enough that Gabriel thinks Merrick is amazing, while being few enough that they greatly enjoy "pretending" together.

--this Sunday he will attend children's church instead of nursery for the first time. I can't believe how quickly these past 4 years have flown. It really does seem like yesterday that he was my chubby infant.

--he is ever a gift and a blessing to Daniel and I. God knew the challenges and joys that he would mean for us and they are right. I can't imagine what my life would be like without Gabriel. What a merciful, loving, bountiful God I serve.


7 comments:

  1. I love how you post all about your children on their special day. Its so fun to read the different personalities that are in just one family. You have beautiful children and I'm excited for you're expectation of one more. Have a wonderful day and Happy Birthday Gabriel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you are still sick. I remember those days far too well. My very sympathetic thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh...yea I don't like to admit it, but I'm definitely the one with the temper. I like to say I'm "passionate", haha:) I really hope you start feeling better because it's been much to long to be so sick:( I've had a sore throat from allergies for 3 weeks and even just that has really worn me out! God bless & happy birthday Gabriel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Gabriel! He is truly an amazing little boy and what a treasure he is and will continue to be.  I can't wait to see the pictures and the delight I'm sure he was feeling.  How wonderful that you had the help that you needed to make the day special for him.  God is good  all the time!  Love to All

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading these entries about your kids and their growth.  It helps to stand back and really be able to say "look how far we've come!" because I can so often get stuck in the thought that they will never get it... 
    Was going to see if you were free tomorrow morning but looking at the weather for tomorrow, I am suspicious that there will even be CFA...  Oh well -another time I guess.  If you ever want to get out of the house, mine is always open and we would love to have you. I would even be willing to rearrange school to the afternoon if mornings are easier.  Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I get to be his first children's church teacher tomorrow....the lesson? Obeying the word of God...
    OMG. It just hit me that I had you in my kindergarten class. I remember explicity that one day you had an "accident" and you were devestated...sobbing on my shoulder.......
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANKS EVER SO MUCH FOR THE PICTURES OF GABRIEL OPENING HIS OH-SO-SPECIAL GIFT!  I LOVED EVERYONE.  WISH I HAD BEEN THERE TO SEE HIS DELIGHT!  
    I AGREE ABOUT THE WEATHER COMPLETELY.  I CAN ALWAYS GET WARM ENOUGH BUT IT IS JUST TOO DIFFICULT TO GET COOL ENOUGH.  I WANT THE SEASON CHANGE TOO.  LOVE YOU MY DEAR -LOVE YOU AND YOURS,  GRAM AKA GREAT GRAM

    ReplyDelete