Saturday, February 3, 2007

I remember bringing Gabriel to the doctor for his 6-month check-up more vividly than I remember any of his othercheck-ups. This may be, in part, because it was my first experience with explaining quietly but firmly to a physician why I don't like certain immunizations. (I was unduly nervous about it, since my doctor was really not unpleasant about the whole thing.)

But it's also because after logically and intelligently discussing immunizations-- what they are for, what ages they are potentially harmful, etc.-- I mentioned Gabriel's very dry skin to the doctor. And it was right then that we once again went back to the familiar role of him knowing a whole lot more about babies and children than I did.

Not unkindly, but somewhat condescendingly, he said, "To this day I can't figure out why moms bathe their infants daily. They cause more trouble than harm. You know it totally dries his skin out, don't you? Just stop bathing him so often."

In spite of feeling a bit like a fool (but not really, because books and websites on parenting would make any mother think that all the good moms bathe their children daily), I remember mostly feeling a flood of relief.

Gabriel didn't like taking baths. I didn't like giving them. And suddenly I'd been given permission-- even encouragement!-- to stop going through the tormenting procedure of bathtime every single day.

I stopped bathing Gabriel daily right then. I haven't bathed a child two days in a row-- except when absolutely necessary-- since then. I will confess that I haven't been able to go down to fewer than 3 baths/week. (My kids are either slobs or I just like them smelling nice a little too much.) But without daily baths, we don't have skin issues.

I just wish all parenting challenges could be dealt with so swiftly and simply.


6 comments:

  1. Oh yeah its exciting... I think I might get a little more emotional when it comes time to leave.  Its just clicking.  Sooo... my dad is coming up there in March. I'm really hoping to tag along: ) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely need to chat about immunizations sometime! Hey, you opened the door...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what is hard to figure out for me? Why Hayla has dry spots on her skin when I definitely don't bathe her everyday. I do maybe twice a week. She continually has them though. So I continue to moisturize the spots as much as I can.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get my children in the bath on average of once every two weeks, unless needed more often.  I'm not ashamed to admit it, though I'm sure there are many who would think it gross.  LOL!  Well, if they want to volunteer to do the job, I'd be happy to have them over.  Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do bathe Caedmon every day, Bethany every other day (less when they were first born, though). We haven't had any dry skin issues, but we do have very sweaty children, so I think daily is necessary. Definitely something that should be for each parent to determine, though. It would be nice if bathing was only needed a couple days a week...it can be quite time consuming when they insist on playing ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi.  I saw you visited my site....and I will admit that I had visited your site previously as well.  My oldest is 8 and my dr. had told me the same thing when she was small....but much nicer if I remember correctly.  He said that children that age really don't get all that dirty and the areas that do get dirty get cleaned often throughout the day.  So, I took his advice as well and bathed her, for the most part, every other day....less when younger, but EOD when 1 and 2 years of age.  It does help.  Now that she is 8 I can't really do that because she has lots of thick hair and it gets smelly and oily.  So, now she uses Aveeno after showering.  But I only bathe my 2 year old EOD.  If it makes you feel better, sometimes I just get a warm washcloth and give her a "bird bath" (wipe her face, hands, feet and diaper area).  I also use Aveeno on both kids in the winter....it helps those dry, itchy patches! 

    ReplyDelete