Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I felt like a real grown-up mom yesterday.

I made my first ever Hanna Andersson order.

Ever since Bronwyn was born-- even before, really-- I thought I would order one of the infamous play dresses from Hanna, with matching leggings and socks and all. Camilla wore one as a baby. I remember it being the softest and cutest and most play-able dresses of all time. Definitely worth the money, right?

Well, I guess I'm cheap. Because as much as I admire and love the baby clothing in the Hanna catalogs, and as much as I think these dresses are wonderful, I could never bring myself to spend the money they require. Even the pilot caps my babies have worn have either been given to me or handed down from siblings-- and, believe me, aside from pilot caps and the soft knit gowns Mom bought for Gabriel and Bronwyn when they were brand-new infants, they aren't what you would call "Hanna babies." (In other words: they don't wear Hanna stuff.)

Yeah, I'm cheap.

But yesterday, I took the plunge.

Maybe it wasn't so terrible because I've been thinking about it for 2.5 years now. I've been looking at the prices, watching the sales (wouldn't you know they always sell out of the toddler sizes first, so I can never get them when they're truly on sale?), and growing accustomed to the expensive nature of Hanna clothing.

Either way, I felt pretty grown up yesterday.

And I can't wait for the order to arrive in the mail.

6 comments:

  1. Oh fun... you'll have to post pictures! I have been looking for something similar for Mariah and have found that Zutano and the others with similar styles seem to cost at least as much anyway! In the end I picked up a babystyle dress and a pair of ruffled Garnet Hill pants/leggings from ebay... so we'll see how I like them when they get here!

    I was wishing as I read your post on Gabriel's birthday gift yesterday, that Joel was as definitive in his tastes. As it is, he seems to like everything... on and off anyway. People keep asking me what to get him and I have 0 suggestions except to beg them not to buy any more toys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a hanna anderson outlet near us. the next time i am there i will price some things. just let me know sizes and preferance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well worth the money!

    Those are my favorite dresses! We have a HA outlet here in Maine - those dresses are always the first to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer Emeril's recipe...
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32855,00.html?rsrc=search
    But others I know prefer hers...
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_17438,00.html?rsrc=search
    Thanks a lot. Now I'll have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must not be grown up....I never heard of Hanna Andersson...I'm sure it will be cute though! Actually I was excited, I found a beautiful corduroy jumper and shirt at the thrift store for Joy that was 1.50, and it was a "Good Lad" brand which is what Hornes used to sell for like $35. It seems hardly worn, it's a 3T she can wear next winter. Maybe I'll take a picture of usI had Easter outfits for Matthew from there because I worked there and could get them on sale and emp. discount...So I guess I'm actually just behind the times....I like how I can buy more clothes for her since they cost so much less. Like Matthew, he has barely any clothes now...less to wash at least! I think it's really nice Gabriel is getting a good drum set for his birthday, he'll love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sign up for the Hanna sales and you will get them in your email before the catolog comes out. That helps give you a litte more of a heads up...
    I love the one-piece zippers. I ran the Blessing Shop when Hanna's were donated to us and used them for Daniel when he was a baby. But....$36? I would only consider it if it I was just starting a family and knew I would hand them down. Hanna's are more than just organic cotton, cute, etc.,...you can't wear them out.
    I can't wait to see what color play dress outfit you chose. They are adorable. Amy wore them. I am glad you splurged! 

    ReplyDelete