Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My oldest boy's birthday is quickly approaching. I'm trying not to think about this much, mostly because I still feel pretty awful and can't fathom getting ready for a party. I remind myself that I've still 2 weeks before I need to be back in the saddle and getting things done. That helps. We don't invite a lot of friends over for birthdays-- last year he asked for Colin and Renee to be his special guests-- but once you add in family (Sinclairs and Daniels), we've got quite a crowd on our hands.

Fortunately, our shopping was finished a while ago. Unfortunately, the gift we chose was on backorder. Even more fortunately, we recently got notice that it has shipped-- just in the nick of time.

We're making the big splurge this birthday and the amount we're spending is justified in part by calling it an "educational expense." Many family members are also contributing to the gift by buying pieces of it to give to him as their gifts.

(For the record, we got it in black, since that is his color of choice when it comes to drums. This was simply the only picture they offered.)



It's a junior set, but pretty sophisticated all the same. The heads are all tunable and the name recognizable, which we're hoping means for a half-way decent sound. The best part is that even if he can't reach the pedals right away, he'll be able to in just a few short years. For those of you who know Gabriel, you know that the dream of his life is to be big enough to reach the pedals on a drumset.

I can't wait to see the look on his face when he opens it. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures-- and a video or two of him playing, as well.

11 comments:

  1. Fun, fun! (We'll be looking forward to some videos!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! He is going to love them (what boy his age wouldnt!).  Austin wanted a drum set sooo bad but, well, I chickened out... my ears just dont like a lot of loud noises :-p
    And dont worry -you will be feeling great by then!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for him!! i was just bragging about his drumming abilities to someone the other day=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is hard to imagine that his birthday is approaching again. I can't believe how quickly he went from that baby in your arms to these bright little boy. Amazing!
    The other day (probably as I was hurling over my toilet - since that consumes most of my day these days) I thought about Jackson and realized he'd hit 1 year old. How is that possible!? Anyhow... happy belated birthday to your littlest.
    Congratulations on baby number four! I'm so excited for you. One of these days when I'm off the couch it would be great for another visit. Its long over due!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, yes - if there is 9 out of 12 month need for a specific kind of clothing(and will continue to be a frequent requirement), than it is a necessary thing. It is good investment. I am willing to shop. I need a hair cut out of it though. Any good with scissors?

    And, as my salon manager - if you can figure out a way to put my red dress under the salon expenses, by all means, go ahead! ;) j/k. What about under "entertainment"? It's definitely a tax write-off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been doing some immunization research...want to pick my brain while I'm fresh?
    :~)
    You know, in your free time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That set looks wonderful, I am sure he is going to love it. Ian received a used set for free soon after we moved here. He is always talking about Gabriel's drum playing ability, and how it puts him to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i don't know, maybe it was the combination of Jameson's jumping, louissa's love picture from home, your mention of hanna dresses and drum kits, but suddenly i'm crying in the middle of a computer lab. missing you all dreadfully. wishing i could be there to be an extra set of hands for you in these weeks. wishing i could hear jameson garble in person. wishing i could watch jackson weeble and wobble but not fall down.
    i miss you bri.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The set looks like a good one (my professional opinion!) and I know Gabriel will just love it.  Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think everyone is as excited about the drum set as Gabriel will be.  His talent is so evident and how wonderful that you and Dan are creating the opportunity for him to express it.  But I am sure there will be some restrictions on times to play and time to do something else.  Or you will have a constant concert. lol  I loved seeing Bronwyn in her little striped stockings when you were here.  She looked so sweet and I am sure she will be just adorable in her "Hanna" dress.  I will enjoy the pictures to follow.  I told Daniel that I don't seem able to see the videos (just hear them).  So sad, too bad.  God bless you all with love,  Gram

    ReplyDelete