Thursday, December 21, 2006

With every holiday, we transition more and more to our own family traditions. Many of them are borrowed and blended and some of them are altogether new; the sum of them all makes us us. Last year, when out of state travel wasn't a good idea considering my quickly-approaching due-date, Daniel and I looked at one another in awe as we realized that our days of joining others' Christmas Day celebrations are most likely over. At least for the next 15 years or so, we've got to figure this thing out for ourselves. Our own stockings. Our own Christmas morning breakfast. Our own method of gift-giving. Our own traditions.

And, yes, our own gift exchanges.

Today, we joined my family for the traditional Family Shopping Day. You know, the day when we all exchange names and buy another a small gift (it started at $5, now it's up to a whopping $7) to be given Christmas Eve when everyone sits around the lit tree in their pajamas. But this year, instead of being part of the larger family gift exchange, we gave money to our children so they could have an exchange of their own. Tired toddlers don't do well with traipsing about all evening long, so this year we will retire to our own living room beside our own Christmas tree, eating our own cookies and drinking our own homemade eggnog (just wash the eggs
beforehand and, trust me, you'll live and--amazing!--you'll actually like the eggnog since it won't be thick and artificial-tasting like that stuff you otherwise buy in cartons at your local grocery store is) and sharing in our own Christmas reading following the traditional service at the church.

I liked having the children take time to buy someone else a gift. It's so easy for the day to become a self-centered event. I love that their eyes dance with anticipation of stuffed stockings and that their fingers twitch as they look at the brightly wrapped packages under the tree, knowing that soon the day to discover the contents of those packages will be here, but I loved hearing Gabriel's thoughts about what Bronwyn might enjoy receiving even more than I love hearing what he would like. True, Jackson didn't quite know that he was picking out a gift for Gabriel, but in just a year or two more, he will. And Bronwyn found out that, though she liked the book on the shelf much better than the truck, the truck will be more enjoyed by her baby brother.

But I digress.

This traditions-of-our-own-making thing can be daunting. What to choose? There are so many good ideas out there and, truth be told, I'd be worn-out and fried if I tried to do them all, though at times I sure do find myself wanting to try! Finding the things that are meaningful and yet appealing to young minds and attention-spans can be tough. Tougher than I thought, anyway.

But, really, it's been a lot of fun. To stop and realize that we are shaping our children's memories around this time of year. To know that what we determine to do now will quickly be insisted upon by them in the years ahead. To wonder what smells and sounds will be their favorites to recall when they are grown.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's served as a good and fresh reminder that my choices throughout each and every day shape my children. The words I speak and the tone I set in our home will leave an imprint. The things I spend my time on and the activities and events I put effort into are teaching them of my values. What will they remember about me? (I doubt it will be whether or not I vacuum my carpet everyday.)

This is not a fear-filled thing for me to consider--I know that I will make mistakes and stumble along the way--because I rest in His ability to lead and guide them and me. But it is a sobering and inspiring thing for me to consider. The potential I have for marking these three young lives with kindness, patience, truth, joy, and peace is unparalleled.


So the real question is: should they dive into the gifts or take turns opening?


7 comments:

  1. We take turns.  Though Austin is 8 so that makes it much easier....  We also have made our own traditions and we really enjoy it.  #1 is that we go nowhere at all on Christmas day -it is our day to celebrate Christs birth and spend together.  That was actually hard for our families and I think they are still getting over it... 
    I love your families idea of a $7ish gift for others.  We draw names as well but there is no limit or suggested amount -makes it hard...  Might suggest that one myself! 
      Glad you got it in time -had to get your address afterall!  And shhh... I ran out remember!  Sadly there is no rhyme or reason to the way I write them -one more thing for me to organize I guess.
    Do you like rich and delicious or basic?  Chocolate?  I have an AMAZING but incredibly rich -chocolate one.  One that takes about a glass of milk for every 2 bites -soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to know how you make eggnog - it has always been a favorite for jimmy and i...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just hated taking turns when I was little! (Being oldest, I was always last.) I've been surprised to find that the boys are a lot more pleasant about taking turns opening gifts. Most likely they are as eager to see what the other has gotten because they know that they too will be playing with it in coming days.

    Traditions, traditions... I keep talking about which ones to keep/start and it seems we never get around to doing any of them. I need some ideas for EASY memory makers that don't involve 32 ingredients or 20 items from the craft store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. taking turns makes it last longer...which is kind of more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do a variation on the "taking turns" model. The youngest child that is able to read the names on the tags gets to hand out the presents one by one, which sometimes means that one person gets three presents in a row. Still, we all have to watch as the person opens, so it's not a free-for-all. It works fairly well, unless the present distributor gets distracted and forgets to hand out presents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had the problem of a lot of gifts and how to take the focus off gifts, or at least minimize the feeding frenzy of gift openning.

    1. At a certain time (7am?), the kids can come down w/o bothering mom and dad, and take their stockings up to their rooms to open. They often did this together, had fun, and we slept in a bit longer.

    2. After we got up, the kids had one gift (from "santa") that could be openned w/o waiting before breakfast.

    3. Each round of gift openings starts with a gift to Jesus -- we sing a Christmas hymn or carol. The oldest gets to pick the the song for the first round. (We have xeroxed copies of songs.) After we give to Jesus, we take turns opening gifts, starting with the youngest.

    This slows down the feeding frenzy and gets our eyes on Jesus -- at least periodically. :)

    It also means that it takes hours to open presents but it is worth it.

    As a bonus, we get certain relatives visiting us at Christmas. They prefer our gift opening style to the orgy of gift opening that they've experienced elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second the request for the eggnog recipe. :) I've never really cared for what I've had from the store, and I typically like everything! It'd be nice to try the real thing. ;)

    Y'all have a Merry Christmas, Brietta!

    ReplyDelete