Sunday, December 24, 2006

I suppose the reason colds and flus and high temperatures never come at a convenient time is because, well, they're just plain old inconvenient. Most certainly I wouldn't have picked last night to be waking with Jackson more than once an hour, beginning the day with him before 6am, and then staying home from church because he's feverish and fussy (though, really, he's very good-natured when sick and I am blessed by this)... But then again, I wouldn't really have picked another day, either. And as I search for the silver lining in this cloud--which goes against the grain of my negative nature but is something I am trying ever-so-hard to do more of these days--I think of how nice it is that he's taking a good nap (30 minutes so far, which is a longer stretch than we managed throughout the night) and of how glad I am to be making something chocolate-y for Christmas dinner dessert. Yesterday I made two apple custard pies and two pumpkin cake rolls (one with walnuts and one without), but I just didn't manage to find time for the "rich" dessert I had in mind; a morning with the older two children off at church with Daddy and my little man catching up on much-needed Zzz's gives me just such the opportunity!

My favorite part about Christmas is how constant the reminders of God's goodness are. From the carols playing on the loud speakers at Wal-Mart, to the nativity scenes set about my home, to the Christmas story being read over and over again, I am refreshed in the knowledge that my Father is my Provider. He made a way where there was no way.

And with this knowledge comes such peace and contentment. It is inevitable! The difficulties of today, the pain of yesterday... It all melts away in light of His tender love and care. The future may have been unsure and a bit frightening before, but when considered with His plan in mind, it is only bright and victorious. Because of this little Babe come to earth, this obedient Son who gave Himself up, we will one day reign with Him forever. It is settled and sure.

I am so very glad!

Gabriel and Bronwyn tell me daily how much they love "Christmas-time," and their faces glow. We talk about what Christmas is really about; and why we give gifts to one another. And as we talk about the Greatest Gift ever given, I breathe a prayer, offering with feeble heart the rather small but greatest gift I can give: myself. Again, I ask that He would take me as I am and spend me as He will. It is only reasonable, after all.

Joy to the world! The Lord is come
Let earth receive her King
Let ev'ry heart, prepare Him room...


Edit: Happy Birthday, Jesus!





6 comments:

  1. I know. I was thinking that same thing this morning--why do I have to be sick when I'm home? Can't I be sick when I'm at school, when the only thing I'd miss is a day of classes and not my favorite thing in my favorite place?

    But, even so, I pulled myself together and went to church anyway--and I think maybe it was good. Because my body was a little less strong, my heart was a little less strong, and my resolve to buck up and make it through this season a little less than certain. He was more present to me, in my weakness today, than He has seemed to be lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am sorry to hear that your little guy isn't feeling well. i hope that you can get some rest! merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you're going through. We were also at home today. nice work on the cake. did you make the plate too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake looks luscious!  I'm sure all enjoyed it.  even being home worked out for the good of all--just look at that cake.  Love you all so very much.  Love,  Great Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today seems so plain, boring, dull. My children agree. We're sitting around looking at one another...thinking, "It sure is quiet!" Last night I counted 38 people who have been here to visit over the past three days. Sheer excitement. Today we dive back into the "normal" schedule which, you know, consists of organizing, laundry, and general cleaning. My nephew is coming from Buffalo later tonight and a few of the Mihm's will roll into town possibly tomorrow or the next day. But still, it won't be as hectic as it has been. We did breakfast, lunch, and dinner for twelve kids and six adults every day for FOUR days! I sure do have it easy today with only my seven. Time to sit with a cup of tea and read my new book- Sheparding a Child's Heart ;~) and just enjoy the children. I had to tell you- Eric and I were supposed to do a childrens story at the Christmas morning service. The service started at 8 am, and since we woke up at 7:30 and all the kids were still asleep, we called Pastor Pell to let him know we wouldn't be able to make it. After Eric hung up the phone he sighed. "Oh, well" I said. Then we both looked at each other. "Do you want to still try to make it?" he asked. "Sure! Why not!" We scrambled and made it to church by 7:55- miracle, for sure- and Pastor just smiled and shook his head when we came through the door.
    Eric gave each of the kids a cough drop on the way and told them it counted as breakfast AND brushing their teeth! Avery was mortified and asked to brush his teeth immediately upon arrival back home. And...I actually went in my pajama pants, a t-shirt, and a pony-tail.
    P.S. I have another short story to share but I'll save that one for the phone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Don't tell Carina about the Christmas Day pony-tail!

    ReplyDelete